Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Clemson's road back to the mountaintop
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

TNET: Clemson's road back to the mountaintop

Jan 19, 2021, 8:01 AM

Clemson's road back to the mountaintop

Clemson won 10 games and captured its sixth-straight ACC Championship. The season was a success by any reasonable measure, but following a 21-point Sugar Bowl loss, there’s work to do to get back to the mountaintop. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: Clemson's road back to the mountaintop

Jan 19, 2021, 8:48 AM

Pace, Shipley or Mafah must play in a redesigned offense if we are to run the ball with any success. Another year's experience does equate to good OL play if the players are not good enough. Needless to say the defense needs help. I am confident to pieces to the puzzle are, or will be on campus but choosing the best 22 will be most important and Dabo and staff will do that. It will not help that the best team we play will be in the 1st game so Spring practice is HUGE.

Jan 19, 2021, 9:11 AM

That is if the SEC doesn't do like they did last year and only play themselves.

Jan 19, 2021, 9:44 AM

If the SEC does decide to only play their own, I hope D Rad and coach Swinney take a page out of Coastal Carolina's play book and reschedule with a quality opponent perhaps from the PAC or Big 12.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 19, 2021, 10:38 AM

In that case, I'd rather see us schedule someone like Cincy, BYU, UCF, or Boise St. If the school insists on an in-state opponent then CCU would be awesome.

Tell 'em u6c coot

Jan 19, 2021, 10:50 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Clemson's road back to the mountaintop ]

2-8

I dont think we are a disadvantage to open the season...

Jan 19, 2021, 11:30 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Clemson's road back to the mountaintop ]

we have alot back and plenty of guys who played alot of ball to this point. The good thing about the OL is they have to hear all offseason how bad and soft they are. maybe that'll drive them. The quality of talent on our Oline is the issue as much as it is mentality. Walker Parks is out nastiest Olineman and it showed when he played this past season. Need more guys with his demeanor.

Jan 19, 2021, 2:10 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Clemson's road back to the mountaintop ]

The critical success factor for 2021 will be the Offensive Line. I would like to see them dominate regardless of who we start!
The best 5 interior linemen plus 2 solid blocking tight ends will do it, maybe even a fullback! We have plenty of quality receivers, and we need open holes in the line for our running backs. We lost to Ohio State because we could not run the ball or give Trevor time.

Replace SC State with Coastal permanently. An Orange and White game is better than SC State in Death Valley.

Jan 19, 2021, 2:34 PM

We only play SC State every 4-5 years???

so why don't you ask Dabo the same question...

Jan 19, 2021, 11:12 AM

"... how do they get better instead of worse without him [Etienne]?"

Grow some balz and ask Dabo that question at the next presser.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

..:: ru4god2 ::..

I have serious concerns after this season.

Jan 19, 2021, 11:56 AM

First, COVID was the real winner in the 2020 season. Everything has a COVID-induced asterisk beside it.

That said, something was just missing this past season. The Eye of the Tiger did not seem present very often. Chemistry seemed off. As others have noted, Dabo's "I love everyone and we will speak it into being" secret sauce may not have worked as well in a season where we were dealing with the racial justice concerns and COVID. I thought it was not a good sign when the players elected to stay on social media this season.

Anyhow, with two post seasons in a row ending in blowouts as well as offensive and defensive struggles, I don't feel great about where Clemson is right now.

Righting the ship may be Dabo's biggest challenge to date.

and yes I realize 99% of teams not named Bama or Ohio State would very gladly trade places with where Clemson is now.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I have serious concerns after this season.

Jan 19, 2021, 12:35 PM

Dabo took over a divided program in the middle of the season and won over the players and beat his rival to end the regular season.

Dabo turned a 6-7 2010 season into a 2011 ACC championship.

Dabo took a Kelly Bryant led team who lost Deshaun Watson and its 3 next best offensive weapons to the College Football Playoff.

Now you are saying that Dabo "righting the ship" while returning 20 of his top 22 defensive players is his toughest task yet.

It is a gray world that you live in.

Re: I have serious concerns after this season.

Jan 19, 2021, 12:56 PM [ in reply to I have serious concerns after this season. ]

^^^ this ^^^

Alt, chemistry was going to be off on the oline with 4 new starters. Pretty much the same with the D. When you have to start 23 different ppl on a D with the personnel lost in 2019... It was going to be off some. All that said + the other issues you pointed out.

Now, 2019 CFP team. I still contend that the OSU win is one of Dabo's treasures. No wonder the butnuuts were so angry... We would have given LSU a better game but it was an off night for Trevor coupled with weaknesses on D. CBV did about as good as anyone (even NFL) coordinator could do.

This year, as the wonderful x and o guys on tnet have pointed out, we didn't have enough nasty atheletes on either line. We should have been close but our two ALL American DE's couldn't play, our top 3 WR couldn't play. Nolan out first half, Skalski out most of the game... I think perhaps he had more secret sauce this year than he's ever needed.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Beating Georgia Out The Gate ---

Jan 19, 2021, 12:49 PM

That would be the thing that would be somewhat equivalent to those first American men that walked on the moon. It will be one MAJOR step for Clemson-kind...to get back to the mountain top. Have to start by manhandling or Tiger-mauling Georgia in Charlotte.

We Will Go - As The Nature Of The OL Goes!

Jan 19, 2021, 5:39 PM

If the OL is more "finesse" our DL will end up being a bunch of guys who want to beat you with technique. If they are more bully and beat you at the point of attack: "we will be a more physical defensive front 7"!
I am hoping for a OL that sets a physical tone in spring and fall camp! I mean, physical! Have those DL challenged and "conditioned" to having to be tough "at practice"! To the point - = - the competition won't seem like "anything"!
I feel like that was our problem last year! Because, yes, even in games we won we weren't the most physical bunch in the world. We out-athleted many of our opponents. It was only a matter of time before some team could match us athlete for athlete everywhere else.

If we don't get more physical on both lines of scrimmage - we may have similar results.

Our coaching staff and their track record is good enough - I am going to rest easy with full confidence "it's not just a couch potato coach's assessment"!
And as someone said earlier, "hopefully the OL takes it personally and takes this off-season to get better/stronger"!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 19, 2021, 5:47 PM

We have got to get better on both sides the ball in the trenches. Bottom line !
We can beat the crappy ACC teams but the elite teams are hard to beat without line control.

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic