Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Wanna know what's UDP oxymoronic to me?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 31
| visibility 605

Wanna know what's UDP oxymoronic to me?

Nov 5, 2018, 2:51 PM

Auto Parts Stores.

Advance, Pep Boys, Autozone........

You go in one of those places, you don't figure on seeing a lot of 7-8 figure net worths walking the aisles, nomsayin? It makes sense.....LDR's don't (usually) fix their own cars, why would they be in there?

The reason it's oxymoronic is that those places also have about the highest markups on auto parts of any place short of the actual dealership. Shids crazy expensive in there. There's nothing in an auto parts store that you couldn't get online for 30-50% less, and a lot of it is wayyyy less at Wal-Mart.

So it begs the question....why do UDP's shop there so much? They don't go and buy toilet paper at Target, they go to Wal-Mart. They aren't getting chicken thighs at the Fresh Market, they're going to Food Lion. WHY DO THEY SHOP THERE?

I really gotta figure it out, because it's a brilliant business model.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I usually buy my DEF there

Nov 5, 2018, 2:54 PM

though it is cheaper at Walmart....but see below post

badge-donor-05yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-conservativealex.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DEF is the biggest dealership ripoff extant.

Nov 5, 2018, 2:56 PM

When I had my Q7, the dealer would ask me if I would like them to top off the AdBlue for $150.

Ummmm, you mean the stuff that I can get 3 gallons of for $12 and add to the tank in about 5 minutes?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I hear Obed as: It is so choice. If you have the means,

Nov 5, 2018, 3:05 PM

highly recommend picking one up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wALArd2rvo

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Do you have a kiss for Daddy?

Nov 5, 2018, 3:06 PM

so THAT'S how it is in their family.

Sirrusly, I know every line to FBDO.

Dangit man, if I knew my car was going to break down in 3-5

Nov 5, 2018, 2:55 PM

business days and what would break I'd order the part right now.

Convenience, it's convenience, right?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have to assume that's it. I also imagine they do a lot of

Nov 5, 2018, 2:57 PM

cash business....folks that may not exactly be burning up the interwebs with online shopping.

say man, Lyman has a pretty nice looking Food Lion.

Nov 5, 2018, 2:59 PM

Never been, but it looks nice on the outside. And isn't that how we're supposed to judge everything?

But some chicken thighs there and report back.

Nov 5, 2018, 3:04 PM

K? Thanks

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Eh. Headlight bulb deads.

Nov 5, 2018, 2:59 PM

Spend $12 and install in the parking lot v spend $8 and wait 3 days........

Things I typically purchase at an Auto parts store

Nov 5, 2018, 3:02 PM

Bulbs
Fluids
Fuses
-Maybe a battery after doing online pricing comparison (vs Walmart/Sam's)

Even Fluids are reepoffs...check dis

Nov 5, 2018, 3:05 PM

5 qt jug of Mobil 1 at Wally World - $25.47

5 qt jug of same at Autozone - $41.99

that's not even competitive.

Yeah, I wouldn't do that. I hear you, but I'm normally

Nov 5, 2018, 3:08 PM

spending $3 on oil for the weed-eater

plus mobil does rebates often throughout the year

Nov 5, 2018, 3:32 PM [ in reply to Even Fluids are reepoffs...check dis ]

which makes the oil come down to around ~$12 or so

me too. Oil and filters is about it.

Nov 5, 2018, 3:07 PM [ in reply to Things I typically purchase at an Auto parts store ]

because you usually get the filter free w/ 5 qts of oil.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I buy from Rock Auto.***

Nov 5, 2018, 3:04 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They have GREAT lobsters, by the way.***

Nov 5, 2018, 3:22 PM

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sex, Drugs, and

Nov 5, 2018, 4:26 PM

Lobster Rolls

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

To me, they're like Bi-Lo and Ingles

Nov 5, 2018, 3:06 PM

You know you're gonna pay more when you go in there UNLESS you have a coupon or there's a special. Somehow my dad always finds the good deals on oil and gets it on real cheap. I just don't bother with keeping up with them and go to Wal-Mart.

The other thing that makes then like these grocers is they have somewhat competitent assistance int here. If you need something, and don't know the exact part, they can look it up or help figure out what's wrong. Wal-Mart...you're kinda on your own.

I might get decent help at an auto parts store once

Nov 5, 2018, 3:07 PM

every 20 visits.

Usually you're standing there waiting on someone to check you out, while a guy behind the counter talks fishing with one non-customer, while the other guy is looking up 30 battery stock numbers for a random on the phone.

"Yoyoyo..you got a muffler for a blue Chevy?"

Nov 5, 2018, 5:05 PM

(Actual question to a friend who worked at a local auto parts store after high school.)

Actual answer: (friend taps feverishly on old green screen computer), looks puzzled, move over to parts books, looks up, asked the guy if it had power windows, customer said "nope", Freind immediately replies "sorry, we don't have it and can't order it."

It's because they concentrate on one thing, and the

Nov 5, 2018, 3:11 PM

perception is that they're experts. It's exactly the model that we base our business on here at Jiffy Meth.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mostly because I want it to be somebody else's fault when

Nov 5, 2018, 3:12 PM

I've go the wrong windshield wipers.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Rent tools, bulbs, and batteries are the only thing I buy

Nov 5, 2018, 3:33 PM

@ those places

I have no idea how to fix a car and have no desire to learn.

Nov 5, 2018, 3:36 PM

Thus I only buy bulbs, wiper blades, and sometimes a battery at a place like that.

If I need something significant fixed I take it to the mechanic I trust.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I work on my Jeep

Nov 5, 2018, 4:21 PM

I wouldn't be able to pay for the labor with all the piddling, upgrading, fixing, etc. I do.

I usually order everything and have it on my doorstep in a few days and install/replace as I have time.

It's when I break ####, need it NOW, or forgot something or need something stupid and unexpected that I go in there. And they're 2 miles down the road.

Oh, and I buy oil, filters, grease, diff oil and that kind of stuff if the price is decent.

If it's important, like my radiator replacement, I go to Napa. I've always trusted them more and had better success with Napa from a service standpoint. I just like to buy some stuff at a place I can pick it up (and return and ##### about it if needed).

I often use the local Advanced for dumping used oil. I'm still waiting on their antifreeze drum to get picked up. I have a couple of buckets to dump.

All that said....there is 1 guy in this Advanced that knows the difference between a brake pad and a shoe. ONE. The rest are an embarrassment to the auto parts industry. I usually have to go in there with a part number to make it easy on them.

My REAL important stuff like springs, shocks, locker, bumpstop extensions, armor, gaskets, joints, rod ends, cool new stuff mostly comes from a vendor in AZ that knows WJ's like the back of his hand. He usually can sell me stuff for 10-15% off internet retail and deals with the good stuff like Iron Rock, JKS, Fox, Bilstein, OME, and the like.

I get your point though. I'm all UDP and filthy usually when I'm in there. I fit right in.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like Pelicanparts.

Nov 5, 2018, 4:36 PM

Most people who work on their own cars can't...here's the average person's attempt to 'fix,' their car.

1. Get online and see what others say.

2. Go to Auto-X and see what they say.

3. Buy something they think will work.

4. Return it for exchange for the correct part.

5. Try the second replacement part.

6. Return it to the store and realize they had given the parts idiot the wrong engine.

7. Buy the part for their engine.

8. Install it and realize it wasn't the problem.

9. Rinse and repeat until they've replace 5000 dollars worth of factory parts with 500 bucks worth of Chinese junk parts.

10. Call a wrecker to tow their car to someone who has a $15000 diagnostic machine and will charge them out the ask to do the repairs.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've been trying to convert you man.

Nov 5, 2018, 7:48 PM

FCP Euro is legit. Like seriously legit. Their pricing usually beats pelican, and they have a lifetime warranty on everything they sell. Yep, everything. That means wiper blades and oil too.

resurrected a 98 volvo s70 using fcp***

Nov 5, 2018, 7:58 PM

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

good cars.........after initial purchase, figure

Nov 5, 2018, 10:40 PM

$5000 per 100,000 miles and you're good to go as long as you want to keep it.

thing that got me was computer problem

Nov 5, 2018, 11:30 PM

car would shut off for no reason and wouldn't start
then it would start,then repeat
slammed the hood one time and car started up
rapped on computer box and could shut engine almost off and
bang it just in time to keep it running
sent computer off for resoldering-gold

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thats about what our 4runner is costing***

Nov 6, 2018, 9:42 AM [ in reply to good cars.........after initial purchase, figure ]

Replies: 31
| visibility 605
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic