Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
"paving" gravel driveway with asphalt millings. Yes or no?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 487

"paving" gravel driveway with asphalt millings. Yes or no?

Aug 24, 2020, 9:14 AM

wizenheimer comments are welcome, as are informed engineer-type analysis.

Friend just did this, company came and reworked his gravel driveway for a nice base, spread asphalt millings, rolled smooth. He was supposed to get a heavy coat of sealer this weekend whilest he was gone, but it rained so that prolly didn't happen. I'm going to look at it soon. BTW, my driveway is 450 ft of gravel on a hill.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Could you use pallets instead?***

Aug 24, 2020, 9:17 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Something deez nuts

Aug 24, 2020, 9:20 AM

FBCoachSC®

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsonrulez08.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please forgive me, @IneligibleUser

I need to do something like this. Our gravel drive is trash

Aug 24, 2020, 9:21 AM

after a little over 5 years at this house. Do you know the SF cost? And how does the sealer work? Like a top coat of liquid asphalt? If the fines mix in with the large stones in the asphalt and you control the drainage, it should work fine. We have a drainage problem that messes up our drive.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Youre the engineer

Aug 24, 2020, 9:22 AM

You tell him, dumbash

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsonrulez08.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Which part?***

Aug 24, 2020, 9:34 AM

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes***

Aug 24, 2020, 10:05 AM

Re: Which part?***

Aug 24, 2020, 10:10 AM [ in reply to Which part?*** ]

the options for replies were clearly stated:

"wizenheimer comments are welcome, as are informed engineer-type analysis". I didn't mention questions.
But, I don't know the answers to yours anyways. I have a tractor with a box blade and a regular blade that I maintain mine with. That works pretty well until we get a big gullywasher. Which, um, washes gullys out of the driveway.

My next door neighbor went cheapo, got a trailer load of millings, spread it with a shovel and rake with little prep work first, did not roll down or seal. That did not help at all, and the millings did not "get hot and stick back together" like he hoped.

I'll prolly go look at my friend's driveway soon, after I know it's been sealed and driven on a little bit. I do know the family of the company that did the work, and wouldn't hesitate to hire them if this turns out to be a good alternative.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If it is a chip seal on it, it will look like brand new

Aug 24, 2020, 10:42 AM

asphalt. The 1/2" chip wouldn't hold up to regular roadway conditions, but for a driveway it will last forever and the base is VERY solid.

A couple gullywashers has my driveway looking more dirt than gravel these days.

"Civil Engineer has issues with washouts on driveway"

Aug 24, 2020, 11:09 AM

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Civil Engineer doesn't make enough money to

Aug 24, 2020, 11:23 AM

fix the SCDOT ditch issues and the SCDOT certainly isn't coming to fix it.

China sells kids

Aug 24, 2020, 11:36 AM

What's stopping you?

I'm a civil engineer with driveway problems too

Aug 24, 2020, 11:43 AM [ in reply to "Civil Engineer has issues with washouts on driveway" ]

I'm cheap and don't do what I would recommend others to do.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

TIL they could use chips to seal a driveway.

Aug 24, 2020, 11:25 AM [ in reply to If it is a chip seal on it, it will look like brand new ]

I guess that cheese powder on Doritos is good for something after all.

Probably fine.

Aug 24, 2020, 9:23 AM

I think that's what I have at my place. Not a penny has been put into it in two decades and it looks okay. Probably needs to be redone, but it's so low on my priority list that it ain't funny.

I have tons of trees with roots and whatnot that have contributed to it's demise.

Assuming it's a good bit cheaper than fresh asphalt, I say go for it.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

S??? ????? ???? ??? ??????? ?????? ???? ??? ??????,
S??? ????? ?? ?? ???????? ???? ? ??????? ??? ????? ?????..

I think he said the driveway prep, spreading and rolling

Aug 24, 2020, 10:14 AM

millings, I don't think including the sealer, was like $2000. His driveway is much similar to mine, maybe not quite as long.

Re: "paving" gravel driveway with asphalt millings. Yes or no?

Aug 24, 2020, 9:26 AM

a fran did it on his road on top of a gravel base. It's working good and just withstood a flood over the road with 5"/hr rain we had a couple of weeks ago. He was sure it washed out, but when the water went down, it was still there. Not sure about the sealer though. He just had crushed asphalt compacted on top of gravel.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A guy in Anderson did 70 yds concrete for me

Aug 24, 2020, 10:50 AM

For $135/yd in 2013. I had 400 ft driveway plus some extra around the garage. Butt that prolly doesn't help bc you are in Virgina?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

did that include prep work?

Aug 24, 2020, 11:28 AM

and the year is prolly more of a difference than the state difference, butt thanks anyway. Concrete would be allsome.

All freaking in. Was all some.***

Aug 24, 2020, 11:42 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 19
| visibility 487
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic