Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
After thinking about the Sugar Bowl...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 5
| visibility 1

After thinking about the Sugar Bowl...

Jan 4, 2021, 10:17 AM

the biggest issue I think is our DE group. I like KJ as a student-athlete and seems like a great kid, but he just isn't at the talent level of DEs in the past in my opinion. Also with XT not improving and losing Foster, this unit is just struggling.

Outside of Murphy, does anyone feel positive about the near future of this position group? I am not trying to be a negative nancy, I am actually hoping some post here will make me feel better about it.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

outside of the DB's its is probably the more underperformin

Jan 4, 2021, 10:27 AM

g group in the bowl. XT is erratic for sure but when he decides to actually make a play he is very difficult to stop. Foster was sorely missed and no one even mentions losing Rudolph who was solid. I saw many time in the game where Mascoll was in terrible position and did not set an edge. Talent is there and more coming. I just think on defense we really miss a guy like Wilkins.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: outside of the DB's its is probably the more underperformin

Jan 4, 2021, 10:32 AM

KJ Henry was a 5 star, and the number 3 overall DE in the country coming out of high school. I definitely dont think talent is an issue. I actually though KJ looked better throughout the year, and although may not be playing like a number 3 overall DE, but has been more helpful to the team than XT.

Re: outside of the DB's its is probably the more underperformin

Jan 4, 2021, 10:37 AM [ in reply to outside of the DB's its is probably the more underperformin ]

I would agree that the run stopping and pash rush was ineffective and inconsistent. However, our coverage in the secondary was not good at all. DK played as poorly as you can play. I did think that OSU was more prepared for us than we were for them. Is that due to the 11 games of tape they had to our 6? Who knows? The d-line was sliding and the backs for OSU were cutting back against the slide. Our LB did not adjust well and the ends were not setting the edge. This did not look like the defense we saw against Miami or ND in ACC championship. I tip my hat to OSU for this game, they were better on this night for sure. I am disappointed at the result, but I am excited for our future.

Re: After thinking about the Sugar Bowl...

Jan 4, 2021, 10:31 AM

phew.... big exhale here.

Yes, we will improve a bit. However, I also think that it is in part a deficit in comparison. Just two years ago, we had an NFL front line, so it is a bit unfair (and unhealthy) to expect that every year. It (our dline play) regressed but I also think the lack of depth, health issues go a long way here. I think it will and can improve in the near future. I think maybe we expected too much development from this group but as a whole, the D play was inconstant. We had a bad habit of giving up those 20+ plays.

The big improvement here will be this: I felt that an O could double our defensive play-makers and we just did not have the depth to punish that decision. Doubling one guy would not open up an feast for another. Again, I look at that as a depth issue.

Re: After thinking about the Sugar Bowl...

Jan 4, 2021, 10:37 AM

The defense isn’t nearly as talented as some in the past has been. The talent and leadership is missing. To be perfectly honest Clemson hasn’t had a big time linebacker in years. These are positions where you have to be strong to have great success against top notch teams. The OL also needs to step up their game too. This is why spring ball is so important. It’s the time coaches have to evaluate and develop the various positions. The Tigers are really a young team at these positions. A lot of work to do in the off season but there is a wealth of talent to work with. Let’s see how Dabo and his staff handle the challenge of improving this team. You know as well as I do that 2021 will be another championship year.

Replies: 5
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic