Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Headlights question. Are their standards for how bright dim
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 38
| visibility 1

Headlights question. Are their standards for how bright dim

Mar 5, 2020, 9:20 AM

lights can be?

I've noticed on newer models with LED lights they are significantly brighter than older "dim' lights. Some are so bright the oncoming traffic can't see.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

I'm actually looking to replace my old style headlights with

Mar 5, 2020, 9:31 AM

something like maybe a pair of prepulse-free short-pulse two petawatt lasers.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

similarly

Mar 5, 2020, 9:37 AM

how can I make my wife's 2014 CRV headlights brighter....

I am a terrible husband for letting her drive it for 6 years with headlights with a functioning range of about 80 feet.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

For starters,

Mar 5, 2020, 9:38 AM

let's get a pic of your wife's current headlights. Please hurry.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Will this do?

Mar 5, 2020, 9:41 AM
hl.jpg(44.2 K)

It did something.***

Mar 5, 2020, 9:42 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wait, are we all going to start posting pics of

Mar 5, 2020, 9:44 AM [ in reply to Will this do? ]

our wife's teds now?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

MauldinT, where are you???

yes?***

Mar 5, 2020, 9:45 AM

Is that what you call that?***

Mar 5, 2020, 9:58 AM [ in reply to Wait, are we all going to start posting pics of ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Will this do?

Mar 5, 2020, 10:47 AM [ in reply to Will this do? ]

Image result for keep it going gif

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

Toothpaste

Mar 5, 2020, 9:56 AM [ in reply to similarly ]

Cleans the lens as well as the $20 stuff from Advance or NAPA.

I recommend a $0.98 tube of Pepsodent.

You'll wonder where the yellow went.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

a buffer and polishing compound takes 15 min.

Mar 5, 2020, 10:01 AM [ in reply to similarly ]

to get the lenses clear again. If they're not LED bulbs, you can replace the halogens fairly easily and not too expensive. Or just get a newer car w/ LED lights.

That's not the problem...they covers are clear

Mar 5, 2020, 10:04 AM

the bulbs just suck and have been terrible since purchasing new

well, there's the last option I mentioned.***

Mar 5, 2020, 10:37 AM

This is a very good example of something Congress

Mar 5, 2020, 9:38 AM

SHOULD regulate. Headlights on cars are getting brighter and brighter, and it's getting very hard to see lanes, etc. with oncoming traffic, especially at night in the rain. I actually asked my eye doctor about the bright lights and how they blind me when they didn't when I was younger. He explained it's not my eyes, but the newer headlights.

It's getting very dangerous.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I love them, I can blast some MFers as I come up behind

Mar 5, 2020, 9:41 AM

them. It's like spotlighting them from a police helicopter or something, really gets peoples attention. Half the time they're too entrenched in whatever is happening on their phone to hear the horn, so the lights are more effective.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Watch out for the tail gunner in many 2021 SUVs?

Mar 5, 2020, 9:46 AM

WW2 bombers were always awesome in movies ... albeit many got shot down.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

with the Aynor Squat on your truck the angle is just right

Mar 5, 2020, 9:51 AM [ in reply to I love them, I can blast some MFers as I come up behind ]

to blind them.

There's probably not a more perfect SC town name to own

Mar 5, 2020, 9:55 AM

the "squat".

Don't insult me. What do you think I drive, a 2007 Z71?***

Mar 5, 2020, 9:57 AM [ in reply to with the Aynor Squat on your truck the angle is just right ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

oh they can #### up any truck with tha' Squat***

Mar 5, 2020, 9:59 AM

The squat seems to be a teenager thing

Mar 5, 2020, 10:09 AM

The F-250/Chevy 2500 lifted bro dozers seem to be the vehicle of choice for adult dbags.

I don't see K-3500's listed, so I guess that doesn't

Mar 5, 2020, 10:43 AM

include me.

:)

I'm talking about the guys who put tires on them that

Mar 5, 2020, 11:23 AM

stick out 10" outside the fender well. Then they'll drive them to go tailgate or something...Or inevitably back in right beside my truck at the very back of the parking lot. ########.

My 2'fiddy is stock thank you very much***

Mar 5, 2020, 10:47 AM [ in reply to The squat seems to be a teenager thing ]

So is my Ram on 22's***

Mar 5, 2020, 11:21 AM

Really bright LED headlights cab be fun.

Mar 5, 2020, 10:45 AM [ in reply to I love them, I can blast some MFers as I come up behind ]

Just not as fun as .50 caliber tracer rounds are.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

it is your eyes. I wear glasses and the no-glare coating you

Mar 5, 2020, 10:03 AM [ in reply to This is a very good example of something Congress ]

can get now really helps.

I don't wear glasses. Don't need them. But may start

Mar 5, 2020, 10:12 AM

wearing them to drive at night.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I just started wearing a welding helmet at night.***

Mar 5, 2020, 10:22 AM

Going for that Darth Vader look? Breath really heavy!***

Mar 5, 2020, 2:41 PM

People round here get real upset when the gov't tells them

Mar 5, 2020, 10:20 AM [ in reply to This is a very good example of something Congress ]

what kinda light bulbs to use. And don't even get them started on plastic bags.

Taking the time for proper aiming is the problem with LED

Mar 5, 2020, 10:25 AM

headlights, which many people don't bother to do any more, they just slap them in. So even the dims are bright, because they are shining in a direction they shouldn't be.

There are standards, and all headlights are supposed to be stamped "DOT approved". But with top end OEM headlights now pushing the $1000 cost range (see link), more people are getting the Chinese knockoffs. Prices are outrageous. I'm afraid some of the cheapos aren't regulated and approved for street use.

Though the LEDs are brighter than traditional halogens, they are just fine to oncoming traffic on dim, because LEDs are very directionally aimable and have a very minimal overshine. They just emit a whiter light which is brighter and more of an irritant when you stare at them. But when installed correctly, they aim down at the highway just fine, not at all in oncoming driver's eyes. But you HAVE to take the time to aim them properly. I don't think many people know how to do that.

I took the plunge and bought a (near) high end set, as Jeeps are notorious for crap headlights.
These babies will fry corneas on bright. It's amazing the difference after driving behind those sorry Jeep 10 candlepower lamps for years. I can see stuff I never thought possible at night. No way I would ever "brightlight" someone meeting me, he wouldn't be able to keep it on the road. I never get "flashed" when they are on dim, so I've obviously aimed them well.

https://www.quadratec.com/p/mopar/led-headlamp-pair-jeep-wrangler-jl

Did you get the green halo lights?***

Mar 5, 2020, 10:41 AM

naw, that's weak stuff there

Mar 5, 2020, 10:52 AM

the Color Shift Dual-Halo Demon Eye is where it's at, man.

Put one of those little beaks on the front grill and you'd

Mar 5, 2020, 11:24 AM

be good to go.

I'm still waiting for the laser headlights

Mar 5, 2020, 3:49 PM

Key Benefits of BMW Laserlight Headlamps
Laserlight headlamps, BMW says, are much brighter than traditional systems. That alone might be enough to convince you of this feature’s greatness, but there are plenty of other benefits. They include:

Greatly Improved Sight: In tests, BMW said the laser-powered headlamps cast a light nearly a half-mile down the road. Traditional systems are only capable of half that. Simply put, BMW Laserlight is a must-have for rural drivers.
Spotlighting Animals and People: Another feature: The Laserlight system has the ability to spotlight animals and pedestrians up to 300 feet away. Laserlight is equipped with an infrared camera that illuminates these obstacles.
GPS Enabled: Laserlight is built with GPS functionality, which enables the system to predict upcoming turns in the road. Laserlight can then help drivers to better see curves in the road.
Hands-Free Functionality: With Laserlight, there’s no need to turn off the lights when oncoming traffic is approaching. Instead, Laserlight uses a camera Selective Beam system that detects oncoming vehicles or those that are overtaking the BMW, and then, the beam is automatically dimmed to prevent blinding these vehicles.
Heads-Up Display Capabilities: BMW has also said that the system’s “high power diodes” can essentially turn the road surface into a head’s up display. The lights can literally project information like MPH onto the road in the driver’s field of view.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I had "Heads-Up" display in my 1988 Pontiac Grand Prix

Mar 5, 2020, 4:14 PM

I loved it. Displayed digital MPH right there on the lower part of the windshield. In 1988!

Had a later model Pontiac (2000 GP) and it also showed time and what radio station/music was on. I miss that, was so convenient. If you never drove a car with one, you probably wouldn't fully understand how much you come to rely on it.

I wonder why that isn't standard issue on all vehicles 30 years later.

LIGHTS ON ! NEVER FORGET !

Mar 5, 2020, 4:22 PM

May the 4th will be here soon, make it a better holiday with LED lighting

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 38
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic