Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
NASCAR and the Daytona 500
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 29
| visibility 1

NASCAR and the Daytona 500

Feb 12, 2021, 8:58 AM

I'm a casual NASCAR fan. I grew up in the Pee Dee and hit up Darlington as a kid.Why does NASCAR continue to run its premier event first on the schedule? I realize the weather in FL is warmer in February than in some other NASCAR event locations, but why does NASCAR persist with this tradition?

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: NASCAR and the Daytona 500

Feb 12, 2021, 9:02 AM

Just sticking with tradition, the only sport known for having its Super Bowl event first. I use to be a heavy NASCAR fan going to Darlington and Rockingham almost every year, but its died out on my since Earnhardt died and Jr retired. The racing in general just doesn't have that excitement it once had to me with all the rule and format changes. Tho I'm interested to see how the dirt track race will be at Bristol this year.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 12, 2021, 9:04 AM

I think it makes sense to start the year off this way. Back under the old points system the championship could've been decided already by the time they got to the last race. Under the current points system it would be a shame to see the final champion largely determined based on a 20 car accident that is common at Daytona.

NASCAR is going the way of the NBA...

Feb 12, 2021, 9:18 AM

Attendance and fans support have waned significantly.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

NASCAR and the NBA are on opposite trajectories

Feb 12, 2021, 10:49 AM

NASCAR is dying in the US, and nobody outside of the country cares about it. NBA is expanding into new markets around the world. Most of the people who said they wouldn't watch because of the political stuff probably weren't fans to begin with, not since the 90s at least.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Much like the NFL, most of the people I personally know who

Feb 12, 2021, 3:03 PM

claimed to quit watching for political reason never watched anyway

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I grew up going to Darlington and went to Rockingham some.

Feb 12, 2021, 9:18 AM

I take my nine year old to Darlington, just doing the father/son thing. He loves it and Ryan Blaney is his man!! I went to the last race at The Rock and I wish they would race there at least every other year or have a truck race. We all know it will be a sell-out!!

I heard it discussed several years back. One thing, everyone wants to start off the year with a win. Plus the weather is warmer.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I grew up going to Darlington and went to Rockingham some.

Feb 12, 2021, 9:28 AM

NASCAR took away brand loyalty with the newer cars. They have sterilized the sport that used to be just a bunch of good old boys. And have put lipstick and bows on it to appeal to more women.
It’s just not the same sport it was 30 years ago. My prediction is that without MAJOR changes it will die away.

Feb 12, 2021, 9:50 AM

The good old boys have not existed in 70+ years, if ever.

My father was in corporate marketing/sponsorship side of the sport. Philip-Morris/McDs/Hardees, etc. It was always corporate sponsorship first and I grew up on that side of it. The biggest difference is that I think they send folks to speech classes but that is about it. I don't see the sport any differently than it was 30+ years ago (which would be 1991). And brand loyalty with newer cars? 30 years ago, it was only Ford/Chevy... and Pontiac.

As for it changing... well I blame the push to have a playoff and then the expanded footprint pushing cookie cutter tracks. I don't care about Sonoma, Pheonix, Mich, Vegas ects. The fact they keep changing the playoff and also that if your own driver "is eliminated" who cares? I don't want another big oval with the race only meaning something to a handful of guys. Even if the Cup was decided in July, that is fine because there are always young guys pushing late in the season for a win.

My issue with NASCAR is that everything has gotten too good.

Feb 12, 2021, 10:17 AM

The drivers are all top of the game professionals that have less chance of making dumb mistakes. They all know perfect tire management and can communicate the feedback loop. That leads to less side by side racing, more gas management racing, and too much "respect" between drivers.

The cars are less likely to be set up wrong, less likely to break, etc..

It is like tennis for me. The ATP men got so good in Tennis that the play became less interesting. The top men average 18 aces per game..the final match might have 40 aces. Womens tennis is mroe interesting.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Made the cars out of thicker metal and let them bump a

Feb 12, 2021, 12:58 PM

little without tearing up the cars.

Re: Made the cars out of thicker metal and let them bump a

Feb 12, 2021, 2:01 PM

Yeah, they are much more focused on protecting the talent and that is a good thing. However, you can't really have any rubbing at the big, speedways. The short tracks make rubbing more entertaining races as a result but I am partial.

Then again teams are so tight in their package, damaging the aero is a big deal, but again, moreso on those high-speed tracks.

I can't wait for the 1st all electric car race

Feb 14, 2021, 10:19 AM [ in reply to I grew up going to Darlington and went to Rockingham some. ]

that will be so exciting.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Interesting tidbit...

Feb 14, 2021, 12:08 PM

I was part of a team at Clemson in the early 90’s that redesigned an old VW Rabbit into an EV. We raced it against EVs from other schools at the Atlanta Speedway as part of a design competition. Unfortunately, we finished second...but it was a lot of fun.

Feb 14, 2021, 12:37 PM [ in reply to I grew up going to Darlington and went to Rockingham some. ]

His dad Dave is as good & humble a driver as you will ever meet. Everything he did for many years was to enable his son to drive as well.
I could tell you so many stories about them here in WinstonSalem when they would come to get Race fuel & parts. They are the best people in they way they treat people, if you didn’t know who they were you’d have no idea.

Ryan has been raised right from the beginning. I’m a fan because of who they are as people.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Feb 12, 2021, 9:33 AM

well, back in the "day"...

Each race was important with no garbage playoff etc. Earlier races meant "more" because a championship based on earlier consistency and success would go a long way a wrapping things up earlier.

Sigh. Now the "playoffs" have have more turns and changes than Watkins Glen, and more mood swings than how many time Danica hit the wall.

Then again, other sports have big "kickoff" games at the beginning of the season. It is why Jawja's season will end in Aug.

One other thing, not all races had big venues back then so having a big race first was interesting. Personally, I like the short/paperclip tracks, but it does not have the same "show" on the rolling start.

Feb 12, 2021, 10:16 AM

NASCAR telling Daytona that they can't have THE 500 as the first race is like The NCAA actually having the guts to put Duke ,or Kentucky or UNC in probation.

Feb 12, 2021, 10:52 AM

Hate to be the one to break the bad news to you but NASCAR died years ago. It is now the INDYCAR series with fenders

Feb 12, 2021, 11:22 AM

It's not even that.At least Indy cars pass each other.

It’s basically IROC

Feb 12, 2021, 3:30 PM

With faster cars. I tuned out 15 years ago and grew up in Darlington. Give me NHRA any day.

my guess is sticking to tradition...

Feb 12, 2021, 12:06 PM

somewhat similar to golf in that the Masters is in early spring. i know there are 3 other majors but the Masters is the premiere event of the year from casual fan perspective. Even people that dont watch sports know what the Masters, Super Bowl, Daytona 500 are.

NASCAR (hopefully) is going the way of Australian Supercars.

Feb 12, 2021, 12:19 PM

More road courses (that was a good race at 'necktona the other night), better cars.

Once 'neckcar decided to try and become a national sport, change was inevitable due to TV contracts, appealing to non-Southerners, etc.

I'd like to see even more road courses, more short-race and mixed formats, maybe even an endurance-style format with true night racing.

One thing is for sure, it ain't my diddy's 'neckcar.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lights on the cars, race in rain, and more road courses.

Feb 12, 2021, 12:57 PM

The schedule for this year looks better with running Daytona road course, Indy road course, and COTA.

Feb 12, 2021, 5:37 PM

NASCAR drivers also don’t appeal to the fans anymore. The sport was built on drivers who actually knew how to work on their cars. Old school fans don’t relate with the spoiled rich kids who are walking tv commercials and only there because of Daddy’s money and connections rather than their talent.

Local race tracks are thriving, even in the middle of the pandemic while NASCAR continues a downward trajectory.

30,000 will be allowed to attend.

Feb 13, 2021, 11:21 PM

I guess they must have some kind of protocol in place.

Feb 14, 2021, 1:21 AM

I would guess super speedway races are some the highest rated races. If the season started at the average track. The more casual NASCAR fan might not even know the season has started.

I agree

Feb 14, 2021, 8:03 AM

They could simply designate the July race as the 500 instead and leave the schedule as it is.

Feb 14, 2021, 12:28 PM

It’s used as a way to keep the racers, fans, tracks & promoters engaged in the off-season with excitement for the next season. A lot goes own the two weeks before the race in preparation with workshops, shows & racing in Florida & South Georgia...

When I worked for Sunoco Race fuels distributor for SC, NC & Virginia many of the events & industry shows start in December & continue through Daytona with shows in Orlando & Indianapolis. It was a busy time for us & involved a lot of travel.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Feb 14, 2021, 1:20 PM

NASCAR became woke now they are going broke. They thought it a good idea to alienate the die hard fans in an effort to appeal to folks who could care less about a race

Feb 15, 2021, 3:21 PM

That stage racing is a bunch of garbage. Seems like they have tried to cater to everyone except their fans ........ not a good idea.

Replies: 29
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic