Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Freaking brownell!
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 58
| visibility 1

Freaking brownell!

Mar 1, 2016, 8:50 PM

It's his fault that we missed 4 point blank shots tonight. It's his fault that an over 80% free throw shooter missed both of his shots late in the game and their 50% shooter made both of his. it's his fault that the #4 team in the nation beat us in an extremely close game

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Freaking brownell!

Mar 1, 2016, 8:51 PM

his fault we can't get players who can win and do better than backing in to nit

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 1, 2016, 8:52 PM

You're right. It's his fault that he can't recruit at an elite level with the worst facilities in the acc in a talent poor state.

I like Brownell and think he needs another year but the

Mar 1, 2016, 9:01 PM

excuses about state and facilities is getting old. He needs to find an assistant who can spot the talent that is overlooked and get them to come here.

Re: I like Brownell and think he needs another year but the

Mar 1, 2016, 9:06 PM

They may be getting old, but it is a fact. Brownell is building a strong program. If blossom game comes back next year we have the chance to have one of the best teams in a long time.

Mar 1, 2016, 9:19 PM

I just spit beer out. Building a program?? How long does he get to do that? A decade?? 15 yrs?? I like him a lot but that doesn't me he gets a 7 yr pass. This is a major university in a major conference with a great sports program. And basketball is easily the 2nd best revenue generating sport. It's not fair to the university

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

Mar 1, 2016, 9:32 PM

As I said in a different post, Purnell left the program in shambles when he left. We did have solid upperclassmen the year after which is why we made the tourney during brownells first year.

I think we can all agree that Clemson can't recruit he level of talent where freshman and sophomores are star players. We have to rely on upperclassmen who have worked hard to get competitive their Jr. and sr years. In brownells third year he has Milton Jennings and booker as seniors and no juniors. No coach in America could win with that. That's on Purnell.

It's taking some time, but IMO brownell is a good coach. He's just had #### luck. If we don't make he tourney next year then my feelings will most likely be different

please, please, please stop with the

Mar 1, 2016, 9:36 PM

"left us in shambles" crap... Brownell inherited a program with 6 straight postseason appearances and 3 straight NCAAT appearances...

I hope we beat BC and win the ACCT. I like BB and want him to win...

but you and I both know where we are now is not what he sold TDP on being in year 6...

not. even. close.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Saying we can't recruit is a loser's excuse.***

Mar 1, 2016, 9:48 PM [ in reply to Re: I like Brownell and think he needs another year but the ]

Find someone with passion and fire to recruit ala Dabo***

Mar 1, 2016, 9:49 PM

I can't see Brownell being very dynamic in a living room***

Mar 1, 2016, 9:50 PM

if JB does not come back...

Mar 1, 2016, 9:33 PM [ in reply to Re: I like Brownell and think he needs another year but the ]

that will be 2 players in 6 years that have left early and put us in a position that we could not recover...

absolutely building a program

Re: if JB does not come back...

Mar 1, 2016, 9:38 PM

Mike Williams - arguably the 2nd best offensive weapon not named dw, lost for yr and still tigers made it to natty. Not to mention the 8 loses on d! That's building a program. Losing JB puts tigers in the abyss. After 6 yrs! But let's blame the area and facilities

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

Mar 1, 2016, 9:41 PM

So you are comparing football and basketball at Clemson?

Wonder what our football record would have been this year if we played all our home games in Charlotte?

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

while i agree that you can't compare football and bball...

Mar 1, 2016, 9:44 PM

what was our home ACC record in bball this year?

so how is that an excuse?

Re: while i agree that you can't compare football and bball...

Inheriting a team that made the tourney 3 years prior may be true, but the underlying truth is that he left us nothing in the cupboard. The last two years of the Purnell who were our contributors? All upper class men. Who did we have as upper class men in the first 3 years with brownell? Crap players.

Re: while i agree that you can't compare football and bball...

Mar 1, 2016, 9:52 PM

Ok - so how many yrs does it take to build a core of good players, coach em up, and compete. My senior in hs was 10 when op left.

so do you think BB sat in the interview with TDP

Mar 1, 2016, 9:55 PM [ in reply to Re: while i agree that you can't compare football and bball... ]

and said...

"well, terry don... we'll win some this year, but after that the cupboard is bare and it's gonna take me some time to learn to recruit... we may not make it back to the dance for 6-7 years"

Mar 1, 2016, 9:45 PM [ in reply to Re: if JB does not come back... ]

I get what you're saying, but I'm speaking of the 5 yrs he had prior to this yr, plus this yr. If this were a corporation, he'd be out. Great guy, but maybe not the right guy. It's not an attack on character. It's w's and l's. It's what puts butts in seats and drives revenue. Basketball generates revenue - particularly good basketball.

Mar 1, 2016, 9:47 PM [ in reply to Re: if JB does not come back... ]

Undefeated - great coaching, great recruits, built a program

14-1.

Mar 1, 2016, 9:47 PM [ in reply to Re: if JB does not come back... ]

'11-12 = 16-15 LJ
'12-13 = 13-18 LJ
'14-15 = 16-15 LJ
'15-16 = 16-13 all's wellness?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

clearly a disadvantage this year that costs us

Mar 1, 2016, 9:49 PM

games against Minn and UMass.... and @ VPI, GT, and NCSU...

i think playing in the new littlejohn next year will help us finish on the road

Re: clearly a disadvantage this year that costs us

Should translate. We'll be much better on road. Especially if JB declares.

Mar 1, 2016, 9:51 PM [ in reply to clearly a disadvantage this year that costs us ]

Practicing in Littlejohn might help.

Where did we practice this year?

null

are you trying to embarrass yourself?***

Mar 1, 2016, 9:54 PM

Re: are you trying to embarrass yourself?***

Mar 1, 2016, 9:56 PM

Where did we practice?

null

so... according to your theory

Mar 1, 2016, 9:58 PM

we don't play on the road b/c.... well, we don't practice in Raleigh or Atl.

Mar 1, 2016, 9:59 PM [ in reply to Re: are you trying to embarrass yourself?*** ]

Heels practice a lot in Carmichael and games are in dean dome. Doesn't seem to effect them. Should tigers be different

Mar 1, 2016, 10:05 PM

Yes we should be different because we are freaking Clemson and they are unc. How the fug are you comparing us to in basketball?

Look, I can understand that people are frustrated With brownell. I just have a different view point on why we are struggling. I think brownell is a great coach that could be better at recruiting. It's hard to do at Clemson though

Mar 1, 2016, 10:07 PM

I'm not comparing players or unc. I'm saying it's ridiculous to ask where we practice. Who cares?! It's recruiting and coaching - period

Mar 2, 2016, 8:58 AM [ in reply to Re: are you trying to embarrass yourself?*** ]

Could you explain why you think Brownell is a great coach? What has he done at Clemson to make you think that? Also, what is your veiw point as to whether struggle every single year to make the NIT? I just don't know how anyone could make a statement like Brownell is a great coach when he struggles to win more games than he loses every year. He might be a fair to good coach, but how in the world is he a great coach? When do wins and losses actually matter?

Mar 2, 2016, 9:04 AM

I think he is a great coach because we outperform our preseason ranking every year. Also, he competes with top 10 teams with regularity with vastly inferior talent. We rarely get blown out and win games against ranked foes with 2 and 3 star players.

Mar 2, 2016, 9:15 AM

So he's a great coach because we finish higher than meaningless preseason polls and we hang in games with higher ranked opponents.

Dude, that is a pretty low standard for a "great" coach. I guess it's a good thing we are able to hold onto a coach that great and not have him stolen away from us by a bigger program. I mean, he almost wins a bunch of games. He almost gets us into post season play. Thank the Lord the Lakers haven't taken him from us because we finish higher than pre season rankings. We are truly blessed.

Mar 2, 2016, 10:20 AM

Did you not read the rest of my post? How about you do that, and then repost something at least half knowledgable.

I acknowledged the fact that he needs to improve recruiting. But what coach in the past has recruited at an elite level? We rely on player development which brownell dos not have in year 2 or 3

Mar 2, 2016, 11:40 AM

I think I pretty much covered it. If you are referring to us beating ranked teams, wake Forest beats ranked teams. Virginia tech beats ranked teams. With the parity in college bball, that's not a great accomplishment unless you do it all the time. What about all the inferior teams that Brownell loses to? They triple the amount of ranked teams we win against every year, at least. And not just inferior teams, I mean some head scratching horrible teams, every year.

So again, if that's your definition of a "great" coach, that's pretty sad. I could only imagine what you think of a coach that goes to the tournament all the time, they must be gods to you.

Mar 1, 2016, 10:06 PM [ in reply to Re: are you trying to embarrass yourself?*** ]

We aren't UNC in basketball.

Carmichael and Fike aren't the same either.

null

Mar 1, 2016, 10:09 PM

If next yr is his last yr, then so be it. I'm not saying he should be fired tomorrow. My biggest question would be to the ad and ask what are expectations. I live in nc and bball is important.

Mar 1, 2016, 10:45 PM

If we don't make the tourney next year then I agree that he should be gone.

Mar 1, 2016, 9:58 PM [ in reply to are you trying to embarrass yourself?*** ]

You talking to me? Just because you spend all of your time posting statistics on bubble teams, doesn't mean you know anything about basketball. It means that you're good at Google and have no life.

What have I stated that wasn't a fact? Do you honestly think that Purnell left this program in a good place?

i wasn't talking to you... but after reading your post

Mar 1, 2016, 9:59 PM

the question stands to you as well

Mar 1, 2016, 10:00 PM [ in reply to Re: are you trying to embarrass yourself?*** ]

You are stating good points, but the underlying point is 6 yrs

Mar 1, 2016, 9:55 PM [ in reply to Re: clearly a disadvantage this year that costs us ]

Watch Hoosiers again. Measure from ft line to goal, measure height of goal, etc. It's basketball. JB could play against uva in a parking lot and still drop 23 in first half! Doesn't matter where you practice or play - you just play

Mar 1, 2016, 9:59 PM

This year will be looked at as wash by the administrators because the team played and practiced completely off the traditional location and schedule. You and I may disagree, but it doesn't matter to BB's employment next year.

He's Clemson's coach and I'll back him until someone else is.

null

i thought we practiced in jervey***

Mar 1, 2016, 10:12 PM

Mar 1, 2016, 9:42 PM [ in reply to Re: if JB does not come back... ]

1 starter on a Football team /= 1 starter on the Basketball team in terms of impact. Bad analogy, and i'm not even a Brownell fan.

Mar 1, 2016, 9:46 PM

I also said 8 on d. So that's 9 - but whose counting

Mar 1, 2016, 10:02 PM

So you are comparing football to basketball, and sports that one has won 15 conference championships and one that has never won a single one.

What would make you happy with basketball?

null

Mar 1, 2016, 10:05 PM

To make the gd tourney! I'm comparing how you build a program. Baylor and freaking Iowa have a hoops program and compete in hoops for a tourney spot. Bb isn't sniffing the CBI

Mar 1, 2016, 10:08 PM

And if we don't make the tournament next year, Brownell is more than likely gone.

null

sounds like we should just give up***

Mar 2, 2016, 11:50 AM [ in reply to Re: Freaking brownell! ]

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You're right, but...

Mar 1, 2016, 8:57 PM

People are only concerned about wins and losses. L's like this make Brownlee's seat get hotter. Fans just want this constant mediocrity to end.

~JKB

+1

Mar 1, 2016, 9:00 PM

Wish I could give more points. Oh, what the #### - +1000!!

Re: You're right, but...

Mar 1, 2016, 9:05 PM [ in reply to You're right, but... ]

The simple truth is we will always be at this level with guys like Brad Brownell coaching , but most importantly recruiting at Clemson! ! In order for us to improve, we absolutely HAVE to recruit better. Top recruit are simply NOT going to line up to play at Clemson for a no name Coach in a program that has no tradion! The ONLY way we get better is to hire someone who can create a buzz at Clemson and get a couple of good recruiting classes we can build off of. Momentum is a powerful thing and right now it's killing us. As we have seen with football , success breeds success.

Mar 2, 2016, 8:16 AM

okay. good points. Let's look at baseball in a couple of years. The team takes on the attitude of it's coach. I think Monte is aggressive and our hitting, defense and pitching will have the same aggressive attitude. I'm not saying Monte Lee is going to Omaha this year but I'm willing to say we have a better team than the last two years. We will be competitive.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 2, 2016, 9:07 AM

You can't compare our baseball team with our basketball team. We have a freshman that was ranked as a top 10 recruit nationally and could have gone straight to pro ball.

Who is e highest rated recruit in Clemson's history for basketball? Milton Jennings? We all know how that worked out and there was a reason he came to Clemson.

Mar 1, 2016, 9:03 PM

LOL if you think Brad is doing a good job.
The team is the same every year he has been the coach.
Almost predictable it's the same crap every year.

Mar 1, 2016, 9:14 PM

It is his fault players aren't focused and playing tight at the end of games on a consistent basis.

may be dumb but the guy from WF a few years back...

Mar 1, 2016, 9:31 PM

Dino whatever...he was there 3 years abd made the tourney 2 times and had them ranked in the top 25 all 3 and they pushed him out looking for better...hasn't worked out but he's an analyst and seems pretty smart....we need a guy here that's proven to recruit, we will soon have the facilities but fighting our tradition is stupid ...I don't think these kids value thag as much as you think...get a winner here and they will come.

Yes. It is his fault. He recruited, taught, conditioned,

Mar 1, 2016, 11:43 PM

instructed, toughened, and challenged in every way each member of the team. He is responsible. He is their leader.

Replies: 58
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic