Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
any wifi extender experts up in here?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 29
| visibility 397

any wifi extender experts up in here?

Aug 23, 2020, 4:14 PM

Got a stock chitty spectrum modem and router (seperate). Need more wifi reach to end of house and upstairs. I can have one or the other with router placement. Never a big deal before. Now with a house full of remote learners on chromebooks, I need more coverage.

Thanks. Smartarse replies encouraged.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Extenders are just generaly meh

Aug 23, 2020, 4:20 PM

You'd be better off getting a mesh system for wifi. Depending on what you get, it will preserve speed, and not just give a bigger signal but less speed. Or a single, new, kick rear router, but that's expensiver.

But you can use an extender to get better connection, but speed suffers. Depending, it can make streaming iffy.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agreed.....get an Orbi and profit.***

Aug 23, 2020, 4:29 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tiggity, speed already sucks and is inconsistent because

Aug 23, 2020, 4:49 PM

spectrum and rural. Sounds like a mesh is the real ticket. With 3, 4, or possibly 5! Zoom/Skype meetings happening at a time.

Obed, googling Orbi, WTH that is. lol

Netgear Orbi. It’s a mesh router.

Aug 23, 2020, 4:55 PM

There’s a few out there, but it leads most comparison tests and mine has been flawless. Sounds crazy but we have 20-30 devices connected at any given time and I’ve had to reboot it once in two years. You shouldn’t need more than one main router and one satellite.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Netgear Orbi. It’s a mesh router.

Aug 23, 2020, 5:09 PM

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/netgear-orbi-ac2200-tri-band-mesh-wi-fi-system-2-pack/6242801.p?skuId=6242801&ref=212&loc=1&extStoreId=158&ref=212&loc=1&ds_rl=1268652&gclid=Cj0KCQjwp4j6BRCRARIsAGq4yMFDDgt4qn29PG51cnsWnt3tUrL7spZxzLV4Eqs4Yqd2QhCTjmgftJYaAqLjEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

This^

I could try a couple of these, https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-AC750-WiFi-Range-Extender/dp/B07N1WW638?tag=cnet-buy-button-20&ascsubtag=ag%3A3f2dc19c-d366-48cb-ae03-c47252037b4e%7Cvg%3A535a0570-e57e-11ea-8fa4-05d605e79a92%7Cst%3Adtp&th=1, but I've tried them before (albeit earlier models) and results were mixed and having different network names was less transparent for the family. Sounds simple, but it created issues.

Sounds like a mesh is what we need. I'll read up on them. Grassyass!

This is the one I have....works great

Aug 23, 2020, 5:13 PM

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/netgear-orbi-ac3000-tri-band-mesh-wi-fi-system-2-pack-white/5577333.p?skuId=5577333

My parents have the one you linked....They have a 3500 sq ft ranch that's super spread out and it just does cover it, but the one I have probably would have been better for them. For a more normal two story layout, the one you linked should do really well.

^^Sorry, was supposed to be under your last reply. And

Aug 23, 2020, 5:14 PM

here's a review for you

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/netgear-orbi,review-4263.html

Definitely want triband if possible because it has a

Aug 23, 2020, 8:57 PM

deducted 5ghz backhaul channel between the base and satellite. So you get full speed on the sarellite router. Then again if your internet is crappy well.... May not matter.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I guess we'll find out tomorrow

Aug 23, 2020, 9:35 PM

Maybe my microwave will quit shutting down the interwebs. lol

Thanks! That's what I'll need

Aug 23, 2020, 9:09 PM [ in reply to This is the one I have....works great ]

we're 3000 all spread out on one level and a bedroom over the garage.

Mesh is the way to go

Aug 23, 2020, 5:43 PM

Eero fan here, but only because they were the only one in the market when I bought mine. :)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If price isn't an option, Orbi AX6000 is the best.

Aug 23, 2020, 6:59 PM

hands down, no question. I run 2 in a 3200 sq ft house and have no issues at all. We stream 4k movies in our bedroom at the end of the house with no problems. The app you use with it is a big plus as well because I like being able to shut off my kids internet when they've been playing games too long and aren't hearing us yell at them that dinner is done.

Eero also sells a 3 pack of their mesh system for about half the price as orbi. It's a solid system, but the performance of the Orbi is a lot better.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

FYI - The new Eero Pro is about $500

Aug 23, 2020, 7:58 PM

it uses a tri-band system supposedly much better than the older system.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks, I'll check on the Euro's too.***

Aug 23, 2020, 9:17 PM

Thanks. Not sure I want to spend that much on it.

Aug 23, 2020, 9:17 PM [ in reply to If price isn't an option, Orbi AX6000 is the best. ]

I'll try the 3000 first. Good to know though!

Re: any wifi extender experts up in here?

Aug 23, 2020, 7:56 PM

They all suck balls. Just my experience

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Y'all do my house now...

Aug 23, 2020, 11:21 PM

4300 square feet. Gigabit internet from AT&T. Charleston style house with all steel construction so lots of interference. Would love to have it work in the yard so my green egg temp system can reach the house and using wifi wake my ### up if it goes below 225 in an overnight cook.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Orbi with two satellites. next!***

Aug 24, 2020, 9:12 AM

Another good option are powerline adapters

Aug 23, 2020, 11:29 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They do work. I used them long before mesh was available

Aug 24, 2020, 6:31 AM

forgot about that option.

You just have to have an ethernet port into whatever you are trying to connect, iirc.

Message was edited by: Father G®

saw some good reviews on those systems too. The best part

Aug 24, 2020, 9:28 AM [ in reply to Another good option are powerline adapters ]

about Mesh in my situation is that it will replace the POS spectrum router. Not sure if it'll help things, but we'll find out later.

it's made a WOOOORLD of difference for me

Aug 24, 2020, 9:51 AM

in +2.5 years, I think we've had 2 times that I reset the Google Wifi Mesh...2 times was a 'good week' when I had the spectrum router

Good to hear. I just pulled the trigger on the orbi AC3000

Aug 24, 2020, 10:05 AM

fangers crossed!

Re:peating what's already been said, kinda

Aug 24, 2020, 9:36 AM

Mesh is the Besht

I like my (1st gen) Google Wifi (Obed®, I think, had some concerns about it a few years ago, due to lack of settings/controls/nerdy stuff I don't care about....but they've recently upgraded the app to handle some of that stuff...port forwarding, etc...)

THAT SAID....the new version (2nd Gen), not thrilled about. The 'satellites' don't have ethernet ports on them, which is integral to the way I've got stuff set up w/ my Gen 1's

You can still get the Gen 1's (or at least you could in February, when I set up SheGUAR's office)

they've been STRONG/10, dew recommend.

The other mesh systems, I'm sure are just as good, I'm just already B's deep in Google and elected to stay there

The nerdy stuff wasn’t my biggest objection, moreso

Aug 24, 2020, 9:40 AM

It was looking at Google’s core business model, not trusting them, and putting 2+2 together as to why it would be attractive for them to get into the router game.

i figure they already know all they need to know about me

Aug 24, 2020, 9:46 AM

and have moved on to more exciting things

And now I see there's a wifi 6! Should I fork out more for

Aug 24, 2020, 9:38 AM

this?
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/netgear-orbi-ax4200-tri-band-mesh-wi-fi-system-2-pack-white/6405440.p?skuId=6405440

Thanks for all the help....Review vvvv

Sep 2, 2020, 1:14 PM

Went with the Orbi AC3000 with 1 satellite. Thanks Obed® and others for the help.

No regarts! Since installing (easy peasy even for me) and experimenting with satellite placement, we have experienced much more performance and connectivity consistency. A few times, YouTubeTV has buffered, but it's just for a few seconds where it used to be "to be continued". Our microwave doesn't shut down the wifi which is more awesome than I thought. 3 kids on a zoom class while I'm warming up lunch was problematic when I forgot :-/.

I activated the "Circle" and can easily place restrictions and limits on the kiddos wifi and access. I'll probably keep that. They race to do chores now for a 15 minute reward. #winning

I don't know if it was a coincidence or what, but my interwebs speed went through the roof within 2 days of this thing being on line (pic attached). As a result, my wifi speeds are 50-170 down and 20 up ANYWHERE in or outside the house no matter how many of us are using it based on random tests.

We haven't had to reboot the modem/router and wifi is actually an afterthought where it has been a daily complaint for a long time.

No complaints and would reckomend to anyone.

Sweeeeeet

Sep 2, 2020, 4:28 PM

Replies: 29
| visibility 397
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic