Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
is it time to revert back to student athletes?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

is it time to revert back to student athletes?

Jun 16, 2020, 10:23 AM

doing so - would take the money out of the issue and return college sports back to its base. amateurs.

It would remove the politics, paying players, rogue sports arses, coaches being abused for wearing a t-shirt, etc.

Schools could and should still look at historical issues and could make the changes without outside leverage.

we might lose some skill - but gain back some dignity/control.

I have been a crazy football fanatic for the past 50+ years - but I am losing interest with the outside pressure/criticism/politics. Never thought I would feel this way. Even 6 months ago i would not have thought it.

we owe it to our students (including players) to listen and evolve, to listen to alumni, professors, etc. - but we should do that in a way that is right for Clemson. We don't "owe" Shannon Sharpe anything. We don't owe Paul F anything. We owe it to ourselves to do the right things for Clemson.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Probably so. Each sport should

Jun 16, 2020, 10:26 AM

Have a minor league system like baseball. Go pro or go to college. Your choice

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A return to the glory days of Frank Howard and Charlie Pell?

Jun 16, 2020, 10:38 AM

Good times, bruh. Good times.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep

Jun 16, 2020, 12:04 PM

Make the athletes live up to the same academic standard as regular students. Also get rid of "special" tutors.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson doesn't care about basketball....as evidenced by Brown-L getting 14 years.

Exactly. Division III does it the right way.

Jun 16, 2020, 4:34 PM

It’s not nearly the same quality of athleticism and play, but students are there for the right reasons. They are students first who play the sport because they love it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: is it time to revert back to student athletes?

Jun 16, 2020, 1:00 PM

The only way to have a TRUE COLLEGE TEAM is to DO AWAY with athletic scholarships. Let the Coach announce that any STUDENT interested in playing football report to practice on August 1. Then cut to about 40 players and PLAY BALL !! Of course caliber of play falls but it is all relative since all are in the same BOAT. I'd LOVE to see it though I know it's a pipe dream ! Same for all the other sports as well. No recruiting , no year round practice, no weights etc just a specific season for EACH sport. This is what HIGH SCHOOL sports USED to be as well and SHOULD be again !!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 16, 2020, 2:38 PM

I would pattern more on the Ivy League model.
You still have athletes, weights, etc, but simply no athletic scholarships.
Army, navy, etc also do not give athletic.
If all cease to give them, the players who want education and development will come. The ones that want to go pro somewhere, will. In time - if all do it - the play will normalize.

Most will not go pro.

Let all earn it in the classroom. Then - want to be there. Proud to be there. Enjoy being there.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 16, 2020, 3:25 PM

I get it. It could work. But we would need to have planters in the upper decks with orange and purple flowers. It would look nice. The lower decks and west end zone would be plenty of seating, even during a virus deal. Parking would be easy come, easy go. About like attending a Citadel or Furman home game. A nice relaxing afternoon to enjoy football and tailgating. Win or lose, all would be good. Just good clean fun family times.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Totally agree. I would love Clemson football just as much as

Jun 16, 2020, 3:34 PM

I do now if the team consisted entirely of regular students who played football. No pay, no special concessions.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Jun 16, 2020, 3:36 PM

There would be no televised games any more either since the quality of play, coaching and presentation would decline considerably. No need for a playoff either since the media would not cover this quaint exercise so the arms race would end with decrepit buildings that once held championship banners. I guess coaches would be paid even less than professors so no need for Saban, Kirby, Urban and even Dabo and BV.

You're way off. It's 2020. You can watch high school

Jun 16, 2020, 4:06 PM

football on TV. You would undoubtedly lose some of the bells and whistles we get now with the overproduced monstrosities we get from ESPN...four channels covering a game, nineteen different angles, etc. Maybe we'd do away with reviews and cut halftime down to something manageable. Keep the game under three hours.

No playoff? Division 3 NCAA football has a playoff.

And there will always be coaches.

null

Re: You're way off. It's 2020. You can watch high school

Jun 16, 2020, 4:45 PM

But high school football on national TV has top prospects and national powerhouses playing each other. Under the student model most would go straight pro. You need to ask yourself how many Ivy League games are broadcast nationally and understand that D2 and D3 playoffs are televised for the D1 viewers going through withdrawals after a full season of games on Thursday, Friday and all day Saturday for 13-14 weeks. Oh yeah - recruiting websites would be relegated to museums featuring AOL and rotary phones.

Recruiting sites go away!?! This just keeps getting better.

Jun 17, 2020, 10:41 AM

Counterargument - if you turn college football into a D League for the pros...how many minor leagues have big TV contracts?

null

I agree, the current system is not consistent with the spirit of college sports.

Jun 16, 2020, 3:54 PM

I fear that it will only get worse.

My first concern is Clemson University, not Clemson football, Clemson basketball, IPTAY, etc. I love Clemson sports, but feel that the current setup and money involved (especially as it relates to college football) is neither proper nor sustainable.

College sports are supposed to be amateur, not professional or semi-pro. I don’t want players getting paid. I don’t want players viewing Clemson as merely a ticket to the NFL. I don’t want regular attendance at football games to be out of reach for many people.

As a result, I’m losing interest in college football. I will continue to cheer for our team, of course, but its importance in my life isn’t what it used to be. I imagine I’m not the only one who feels this way.

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Schools need to better show how they spend the money

Jun 16, 2020, 3:57 PM

They need to get ahead of the argument that football money helps fund all the other sports programs at the university, provides university scholarships for 500+ kids, and all the other benefits throughout the ecosystem.

The media/public is only focusing on the inflated salaries and arms-race of buildings. Too much flash.

Impressive thoughts and posts all the way around on this topic

Jun 16, 2020, 4:18 PM

Interesting read. My 1st take is gradually Clemson could peel back to a conference with the military academies and a handful of like-minded schools such as Wake Forest ... there may be a market for student-athletes.

But there is just too much money on the table for this to happen any time soon. Maybe after college football implodes with scandals and millionaire players being mugged and beat up by poorer players ...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The quality of play will increase imho

Jun 16, 2020, 4:26 PM

Wouldn’t deal with all the wolfing and dancing for 60 mins.

Replies: 18
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic