Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Interesting story on Ron Cherry
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 1

Interesting story on Ron Cherry

Nov 10, 2017, 8:32 AM

Didn’t realize he was out of officiating and the reason as to why. Thoughts and prayers to him.
http://amp.newsobserver.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/luke-decock/article183458886.html

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Interesting story on Ron Cherry

Nov 29, 2023, 4:30 PM

glad he's well. But have you seen ACC officials.Seems he's still giving the conference "da bidness". :)

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He didn't make a lot of those calls we hated, he had to get

Nov 10, 2017, 9:42 AM

the mic and announce them Fans hated the way he talked.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 10, 2017, 9:56 AM [ in reply to Re: Interesting story on Ron Cherry ]

it sounds like an OL finally gave him da bidness one time.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I certainly wish him all the best, but...

Nov 10, 2017, 8:36 AM

he was a God-awful official.

The fact that he is permitted to train new officials is not a good thing for college football.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Ron was a good official. If he wasnt good, there is no way

Nov 10, 2017, 8:51 AM

our staff would have allowed him to call so many CU USC games. The definition of bad referee is the clown who had our GT and Pitt games last year.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Orange Googlers Unite

Save Tigernet--Boot the coots(you know who I mean).

And, the clowns who officiated our GT games

Nov 10, 2017, 9:04 AM

where "phantom" holding calls were called when Clemson was driving down the field to take the lead. Both occurred in Atlanta.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Back in 2005 and 2007.

Nov 10, 2017, 9:05 AM

@ GT in 05 was when we had a TD called back for only have 10 offensive players on the field. What a dumb rule.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

It's okay to have 10 players... you just have to have 7 on

Nov 10, 2017, 12:03 PM

the line. The flag was technically for having only 6 men on the line.

So Cherry goes down and we win the natty, coincidence?

Nov 10, 2017, 9:38 AM [ in reply to Ron was a good official. If he wasnt good, there is no way ]

Guess ol’ Swoffy didn’t see that one coming!

J/k

Hopefully he won’t suffer any lasting effects dealing with a brain injury.

I disagree.

Nov 10, 2017, 9:05 AM [ in reply to I certainly wish him all the best, but... ]

The last 7-8 years he was one of the best.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

I will always remember that Ron officiated the 63-17

Nov 10, 2017, 9:49 AM

blowout.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

to be honest there are far worse ACC refs than him, he stood out...

Nov 10, 2017, 9:17 AM [ in reply to I certainly wish him all the best, but... ]

Because he had a distinctive voice, him getting confused on the rules often and pointing the wrong way on penalties, and of course the bidness

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Always felt he was unfairly criticized. He was one of the

Nov 10, 2017, 8:46 AM

best officials to cover our games in the ACC. The article did a good job of explaining a lot of the criticism that was leveled at him.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Always felt he was unfairly criticized. He was one of the

Nov 10, 2017, 8:50 AM

We should all be so fortunate to run a field at 69. I had no idea...I did find him entertaining, though.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 10, 2017, 9:01 AM [ in reply to Always felt he was unfairly criticized. He was one of the ]

i think hating on ron cherry was just the cool thing to do... like nickelback.

Nov 10, 2017, 9:10 AM

He was the lead official in some of our most memorable wins. Most notably 63-17 to the trailer park trash up the road.

Nov 10, 2017, 9:12 AM [ in reply to Re: Always felt he was unfairly criticized. He was one of the ]

I am sorry he was hurt and glad of his recovery. I am also glad he is no longer on the field. He was one of the most narcissistic, look at me, Clemson drive killing officials that ever lived. Those of you that were entertained by him must have a weird sense of humor.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Narcissistic?

Nov 10, 2017, 9:18 AM

Not sure what evidence you are basing your diagnosis on. Did he wear his sleeves super short to show off his guns and flex while signaling the infraction? :)

Are there more ways to be narcissistic?

Nov 10, 2017, 9:41 AM

If so, he may qualify. Ron loved him some Ron.

Re: Narcissistic?

Nov 10, 2017, 4:07 PM [ in reply to Narcissistic? ]

What chicken coop did you just crawl out of? If you can not see Cherry's bias against us you must be a doofus.

Yes, Ron Cherry = Nickelback***

Nov 10, 2017, 9:12 AM [ in reply to Re: Always felt he was unfairly criticized. He was one of the ]

I have no problem with Nickelback, but then again,

Nov 10, 2017, 9:53 AM [ in reply to Re: Always felt he was unfairly criticized. He was one of the ]

I was a teenager in the 70's and a KISS fan, the Holier Than Thou Not Gettin' Laid Music Nerds were relentless.So I'll roll down the window when Nickelback comes on.

Ron Cherry for all his faults, his crew called it the same way for both sides. Ron loved him some camera time.

Nov 10, 2017, 4:50 PM [ in reply to Always felt he was unfairly criticized. He was one of the ]

Agreed. It was inevitable he was going to get criticism given the circumstances. He certainly wasn’t perfect. No ref is. No human is. But he seemed competent and fair. That’s the most one can ask for.

Nov 10, 2017, 9:44 AM

Did I read this correctly? No black refs in the ACC prior to 1993?

So, now he's teaching others how to give us da Bidness?

Nov 10, 2017, 11:08 AM

nm

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i saw penn wagers a few weeks ago in orangeburg and.........

Nov 10, 2017, 11:33 AM

i asked him whatever happened to cherry. i told him that i was a clemson fan but i never had a problem with him. i, unlike most fans, dont believe in blaming officials for losses. he shared the story about cherry getting hurt and i was shocked. wagers is a great guy! if you have a chance to talk to him i recommend taking the time.

Nov 10, 2017, 12:11 PM

Really interesting read! Thanks for the share.

Thanks for sharing. I saw him go down, but never heard

Nov 10, 2017, 12:21 PM

the follow-up story.

GO TIGERS!!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Nov 10, 2017, 3:20 PM

It is nice to see all of the reasonable posts on here about him. I agree with Gotgrz' comparison to Nickleback (ha ha!). It was cool to pile on, plus, he was probably the only official whose name most folks knew.

A good friend of mine officiates and attened a clinic with him - said he was a great guy and a great ref. How can you not like someone who says "Giving him the bidness?" That is classic.

he looks weird without a hat on. LOL***

Nov 10, 2017, 4:16 PM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Photobucket

Replies: 30
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic