Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
RIP Anthony Bourdain
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 39
| visibility 1

RIP Anthony Bourdain

Jun 8, 2018, 10:41 AM

Didn't agree with his politics, but I'm going to miss his show.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Sad

Jun 8, 2018, 10:47 AM

He and Kate Spade, both dead by suicide within a span of just a few days. RIP

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Sad

Jun 8, 2018, 11:02 AM

I saw earlier that form of death is on the rise versus prior years.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 8, 2018, 11:07 AM

Suicide rates in the U.S. have risen nearly 30% since 1999, according to a report released Thursday from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Suicides increased in both men and women, in all ethnic groups and in both urban and rural areas. Suicide and “self-harm,” a category that includes attempted suicides, cost the nation $70 billion a year in medical care and lost work time, the CDC says.

Although more Americans die from suicides than car accidents or opioids, the stigma of mental illness prevents suicide from getting much attention, apart from fleeting news coverage when celebrities, such as comedian Robin Williams, take their own lives, Lieberman said.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

Jun 8, 2018, 12:07 PM

actually many of the opiod deaths could probably be put into the suicicde category. its self inflicted and you OD yourself

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 8, 2018, 12:17 PM

absolutely agree - whether intentional or not. we need to get a handle on this quick. teens today already have enough bad examples on social media, politicians (d.c.), and talk shows. this behavior is glamorized over and over. ####, when someone dies nowadays or there's a tragedy, people tweet messages - its insane and thoughtless

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

Jun 8, 2018, 2:09 PM [ in reply to Re: Sad ]

WRONG. Many more die from car accidents that suicides.

In our country about 34,000 die from suicides and over 300,000 die from car accidents.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 8, 2018, 2:41 PM

No way it's 300k

Tiger COntractor, I'm a contractor too but you need to.....

Jun 8, 2018, 2:55 PM [ in reply to Re: Sad ]

check your stats. Auto deaths average around 35,000/year in the US, not 300,000.

There were approximately 1000 fatalities on

Jun 8, 2018, 3:10 PM

S.C. roadways in 2017. Heading in the same direction in 2018.

Driving too fast, distracted driving, and DUI among the primary causes.

Speeding is ridiculous on the interstate and that is partly due to the lack of speed traps nowadays.

I will be motoring along at 79 MPH, and I'll have an F-150 truck blow by me like I'm going 50 MPH. Plenty of folks traveling over 90 MPH on the interstate with impunity.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 8, 2018, 3:02 PM [ in reply to Re: Sad ]

copied from cdc article - ask them. i think their point is, its on the rise

Re: RIP Anthony Bourdain

Jun 8, 2018, 11:04 AM

Sad. Following Kate Spade's suicide earlier this week Britt Hume posted this: "Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always be kind."

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 8, 2018, 11:07 AM

Sad but definitely not shocked. From reading his background and listening to him in interviews he always seemed like someone who has some demons and a bad addiction battle in his younger years

thats exactly it though

Jun 8, 2018, 1:14 PM

That's why this is surprising. He alludes to demons in the show, specifically in the Borneo episode which is the most personal in the whole series. Yet it always seemed like he was talking about his past, not his present. You got the sense that he was mostly stable now in his older years. But he was still struggling more than he let on.

Jun 8, 2018, 11:09 AM

I previously liked his show. He became so political and leftward leaning I couldn't stomach it anymore. Interesting guy, would have been nice for him to appreciate that others can have ideas that line up with his.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sounds like you couldn't appreciate his ideas either.***

Jun 8, 2018, 11:14 AM

Re: Sounds like you couldn't appreciate his ideas either.***

Jun 8, 2018, 11:28 AM

I did. For years. They became too one-sided.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

one thing that he was never left leaning on

Jun 8, 2018, 11:54 AM

Was his contempt for vegetarianism. He thought being an outspoken vegetarian was arrogant, privledged and disrespectful to many cultures around the world

Jun 8, 2018, 11:55 AM [ in reply to Re: RIP Anthony Bourdain ]

he was always that way, it is the right that has shifted and become less tolerant of other people's ideas.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

All those right wing Nazis shutting down free speech at Universities.

Jun 8, 2018, 12:31 PM

It’s despicable. That dang GOP, when they finally had the chance to repeal Obamacare they chose not to. So far right it’s hard to even say they are American anymore.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Re: All those right wing Nazis shutting down free speech at Universities.

Jun 8, 2018, 12:55 PM

fine line between free speech and hate speech.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 8, 2018, 1:18 PM

Yes! WrongThink is definitely double-plus-ungood.
We must shut down all “hate speech,” or all the speech I disagree with, whichever comes first.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Jun 8, 2018, 1:19 PM

not sure what the tards on left or right have to do with his suicide?

has nothing to do with the thread

Jun 8, 2018, 12:58 PM [ in reply to All those right wing Nazis shutting down free speech at Universities. ]

Stop

Re: has nothing to do with the thread

Jun 8, 2018, 1:09 PM

See?

bringing up stupid political bickering

Jun 8, 2018, 1:11 PM

In a thread about someone's tragic death. You're right. You're the real hero here.

bringing up stupid political bickering

Jun 8, 2018, 1:11 PM [ in reply to Re: has nothing to do with the thread ]

In a thread about someone's tragic death. You're right. You're the real hero here.

Re: bringing up stupid political bickering

Jun 8, 2018, 1:19 PM

Really? You picture yourself a board justice hero? Nice.

Not that you care but I’m saddened at Tony’s death. Loved “Kitchen Confidential,” “No Reservations,” and “Parts Unknown.”

did I say you should be banned?

Jun 8, 2018, 1:24 PM

Or have your post deleted? Maybe I called the local police?

No. I'm simply telling you to stop out of respect, nothing to do with "my free speech rights!"

I have the right to say your post is utterly asinine in this context.

Re: did I say you should be banned?

Jun 8, 2018, 1:32 PM

You sure do.

Jun 8, 2018, 1:16 PM [ in reply to Re: RIP Anthony Bourdain ]

It has been a quick and dangerous descent. The Atlantic and that think-tank website, Vox, have done some interesting articles about the Republicans losing their mind, and why they think it happened. Even though I once considered myself a Republican - and would like to again! - and I certainly do not consider myself a Democrat and endure physical pain at the thought of voting for Hillary Clinton (I just couldn't bring myself to vote either way this past election, either way just looked like shipwreck to me), some of their thoughts on the matter are...fascinating.

I've also seen the notion that corporations are attempting to supplant nations as the true power structures of the world, and so the giga-rich tend to favor strongman governments and less democracy because they're more susceptible to bribery, influence-peddling, and less inclined to tax them, make them pay their workers fairly, enforce safety regulations, and otherwise do things that keep big corporations from basically owning a slave labor force and making maximum profits. The Donald certainly fits that agenda nicely. The thought here is that the very notion of democracy is under direct attack by corporate interests like Cambridge Analytica who essentially want to manipulate, program, and control those susceptible to their messages with carefully administered misinformation...basically the first application of what some once described as "memetic warfare".

Vox also posits the notion that the reason the Dems haven't changed much is because they don't really stand for much, which has honestly been the Dems' big problem for years. The Democrats don't really have an ideology anymore, they're just a "big tent" coalition of various minority groups who don't really have any agenda beyond identity politics. (Which is why, for anybody who really has ever paid attention to them, the idea of a "liberal conspiracy" is kind of an oxymoron, much like "jumbo shrimp".) Liberals don't "conspire"...they just aren't that effective.

Anyway, interesting stuff....
https://www.vox.com/polyarchy/2017/9/22/16345194/republican-party-pathological

he didn't really put his politics into the show though

Jun 8, 2018, 2:58 PM [ in reply to Re: RIP Anthony Bourdain ]

Usually wherever he was visiting, was a place distant and indifferent to American politics

Jun 8, 2018, 11:14 AM

Very sad, a unique voice.

I guess all that glitters is not gold.

RIP

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 8, 2018, 11:28 AM

So strange that people have to qualify stuff with talk of politics.

He was an important voice for America in that his was a show that was unashamed to teach people the true side of other cultures.
For instance, when he came to Charleston, he understood that the culture of Charleston is not just on King Street, but in the swamps with the Gullah Geechee.

The best tweet I've seen was that he was the only person truly showing Americans that they don't have to be afraid of other people. That's a great way to summarize it.

Unlike a lot of (probably most) celebrities, he actually performed a service beyond entertainment.

Jun 8, 2018, 11:37 AM

Maybe but not all of his "visions" were good. He actually divided some people with his comments. I would have guessed he would die from cirrhosis of the liver. I enjoyed his shows at one time until he turned them into political platforms.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

his most controversial moment on the show

Jun 8, 2018, 11:57 AM

Was when he made an off hand comment about "ugly Dutch white guys" about statues that people were taking pictures with in Johannesburg.

I saw on the shows Facebook after that episode, he was getting legitimate death threats from white South Africans. Like tons of them. They told him to never enter their borders again.

Wouldn't be surprised if it had to do with anti-depresants

Jun 8, 2018, 12:01 PM

...that is a huge problem in today's culture... just about everyone is taking these brain chemistry altering pills every day. I definitely think they help for a period of time but eventually the blocking of physiological processes that our brains perform can only backfire. I'm not saying that's what happened b/c i haven't heard it reported but these prescriptions are handed out to everyone who has any problem at all. Long term use can/has caused people to do crazy things that they would never do without them.

I think they're scary and wouldn't take them or want any of my loved ones to take them long term. There would have to be a weening off game-plan if they did.

i really enjoyed Parts Unknown

Jun 8, 2018, 12:11 PM

One of my favorite shows of all time. The cinematography, food, people, and culture mixed with Bourdain's style of blending it all together to tell you a story each episode.

The show was full of certain moments that just shone with life, bursting with adventure. From a rickety human powered train ride across unknown parts of Myanmar to reliving the harrowing parts of the war in Libya to vrooming on American motorcycles and cars overlooking a sunset over Tehran to finding the kookiest nightlife in central Tokyo, there were countless moments that I often think about.

And it's incredibly sad to think about the pain he must have felt, perhaps throughout his entire life. Someone, who from my perspective, has the perfect dream job. Getting to see the entire world. It was something that he seemed to truly love, yet still demons plagued his life.

Re: i really enjoyed Parts Unknown

Jun 8, 2018, 12:38 PM

Who?***

Jun 8, 2018, 1:56 PM

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Replies: 39
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic