Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
here's the thing the rest of CFB will take from this...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 1

here's the thing the rest of CFB will take from this...

Sep 7, 2019, 7:20 PM

TAMU rolled in here and everyone thought it would be a close game, mainly b/c of the TAMU offense vs. our unknown defense.

There is no question about our talent on offense. None. We strike fear in DC's, period.

But now our defense virtually shut out the number 12 team in the country. It was an impressive performance, and really left no doubt that we have no weaknesses.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: here's the thing the rest of CFB will take from this...

Sep 7, 2019, 7:21 PM

Nailed It!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 7, 2019, 7:22 PM

We absolutely dominated the game from whistle to whistle. Defense will only get better and the offense will be scary good.
Best is yet to come.

Sep 7, 2019, 7:24 PM

Amen. Except it was clearly hotter and more humid on the A&M side of the ball ??

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 7, 2019, 7:28 PM

True.

Two things that concern me about our defense.
- Mond was clearly off in the first half missing wide open receivers. How did those receivers get so open.
- We were determined to stop their final TD drive, but could not stop them. Yet again, another wide open receiver.

Bottom line: too many wide open receivers.

Sep 7, 2019, 8:06 PM [ in reply to Re: here's the thing the rest of CFB will take from this... ]

Are you serious? What game did you watch? We dominated the second and third quarters. We hot outplayed in the first but the score didn't show it. And they played us even in the 4th...
We better fix these holes on the defense. No pass rush and too many open receivers even when only rushing 3 down lineman with 8 in coverage.

Sep 7, 2019, 9:28 PM

We played them even in the first, owned the 2nd and the third and put in our 2nd-4th string defense in the 4th. Wasn't close.

Sep 7, 2019, 7:28 PM

I like you positive outlook. But let's be realistic. If not for the dropped passes and terrible passing day for Monds we could have lost. We would have lost to a team with a Qb that could complete a pass. The score is deceiving is all I'm saying. Our offense is playing good but not great. But the defense hot lucky today. We have holes. I don't like this 4-3 defense venables is running. If we have 8 in coverage then why is there still usually an open receiver?.... I know why! When the QB has all day 8 defenders can't cover 4 receivers forever.

Sep 7, 2019, 7:31 PM

Correction. 3-4 defense. Got lucky. Wide open receivers all day.

Sep 7, 2019, 8:04 PM

Say what you will. We are masking D tackle issues big time. This really concerns me moving forward. The offense is going to have to win some games for us down the line. Secondary is solid.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 7, 2019, 8:18 PM

COTIGER1 said:

Say what you will. We are masking D tackle issues big time. This really concerns me moving forward. The offense is going to have to win some games for us down the line. Secondary is solid.

I do think the heat had a bunch to do with that. I think we have 2 DT's the coaches like - Pinckney and Davis - another they can live with in Jordan Williams, and after that we're going to have to grow some young guys. In 100-degree heat a 3-man line makes a ton of sense if you haven't got the bodies; in December you can play the starters more snaps...and by December, hopefully, some of the other guys will have stepped up as well.

I agree the lack of depth there right now is a bit concerning.

Venables is paid $2M+ a year to direct his defense

Sep 7, 2019, 7:37 PM [ in reply to Re: here's the thing the rest of CFB will take from this... ]

to win games just like this. He once again earned every penny today.

Do you really think he wouldn't adapt and adjust his calls if Mond had been able to connect consistently?

It's pronounced "L Heff A" and it means "The Boss".

I'm no math major...but I'm having a

Sep 7, 2019, 8:02 PM [ in reply to Re: here's the thing the rest of CFB will take from this... ]

Hard time trying to grasp the displeasure with a 4-3 front that has 8 in coverage. Someone probably should stick to field hockey or cricket...maybe Aussie rules football.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I'm no math major...but I'm having a

Sep 7, 2019, 8:14 PM

Did you see my correction immediately after I made the post. I didn't proof read. But if it makes you feel superior , go with it.

Doesn't matter

Sep 7, 2019, 9:09 PM

You're still playing 15 in either scheme

Probably would get flagged most plays

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Re: Doesn't matter

Sep 8, 2019, 12:46 AM

3 DL + 8 in coverage = 11 in my math book.

I'm not as worried as some though. I believe we will get better by player development as the season progresses.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

u have open receivers bc we don’t have Dex,CW,Cle,&AB

Sep 7, 2019, 11:04 PM [ in reply to Re: here's the thing the rest of CFB will take from this... ]

On the d line getting pressure with a 4 man front. These guys will get better . Mond had slot of time to wait for guys to get open. We didn’t have that issue last year. We just have get in stride offensively and get 45 a game and we will be fine come playoff time. Defense will improve with more experience.

Sep 8, 2019, 2:41 AM [ in reply to Re: here's the thing the rest of CFB will take from this... ]

We wouldn’t have lost man. You can’t assume they would’ve scored on every drop. Now... do I think it may have been closer; Yes. But remember; we probably played at least 75 guys. Relax a little.

Sep 7, 2019, 7:32 PM

Yes, not many are worried about out offense. It was all about loosing so much on D. I think we can pt that to rest now.

Mond Mund whatever his name is had a terrible day

Sep 7, 2019, 7:33 PM

Had he half of his passes it'd be a different game. Part of that is due to our D but most of those passes were overthrown or drops. A mobile QB would have had a field day in DV.

Re: Mond Mund whatever his name is had a terrible day

Sep 7, 2019, 11:21 PM

To be fair...

If Clemson completes more of their passes we score that many more points :p oh and the missed FG

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 7, 2019, 7:59 PM

I weak spot is still our punter

Sep 7, 2019, 8:04 PM

I thought it'd be closer.

I figured we'd look about like we usually look in September, which is not all that great...didn't happen. We still weren't tremendous but we were certainly better than we were against GT.

I figured Jimbo would do his usual overcontrolled slowball against us and because he is a pretty durn good x's and o's guy, he'd spot some weaknesses and move the ball in annoyingly over-schemed Jimbo fashion...didn't happen. Until our 2's went in A&M didn't move the ball at all...and that slowball thing Jimbo does just ended up shortening the game for them when they needed to be getting on with it.

I was more than a little shocked also by how much more physical our guys were. For an allegedly tough-and-hard-nosed SEC team they went down like a sack of potatoes when they got hit in the mouth and their guys were falling out all over the field. They didn't seem to want it a whole lot, a lot of times.

Ended up being a pretty durn good win. That team on paper is right about as good as Clemson in terms of recruited talent but the actual gulf on the field was readily apparent. Scroll around on Texags.com...there's a few whining about the refs but that fan base isn't dumb and they know they were never really in that game. Anybody who doesn't like the result is way too worried about style points and not enough about x's and o's, personnel, and demonstrated capability, and Clemson showed huge in all facets. We can do everything, and do it convincingly.

I doubt we see the Aggies again in the playoffs - that #12 ranking A&M carries seems about right or even a little high given their killer schedule - but if we do we'll pound them by 30+. We're still a good ways off our ceiling, whereas I get the sense Jimbo and A&M have about reached theirs since everything Jimbo does revolves around his QB and control of the offense.

and that would be the end of that thread***

Sep 7, 2019, 8:20 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 7, 2019, 8:36 PM [ in reply to Re: here's the thing the rest of CFB will take from this... ]

AMEN Quozzel !

Sep 7, 2019, 9:14 PM

Praise God for blessing us with such a great Team!

Sep 8, 2019, 3:39 AM

Actually think the media spins this as a "close, hard fought game".

To those saying Clemson would have lost if Mond hit on some passes, you missed the plays where he was clearly effected by pressure or the plays where dbs blanketed everyone. There were 2 blown coverages one was overthrown (#11 on a slot wr in the 1st and the final TD) I didn't see any other sure fire blown assignments. When you blitz the way Clemson was you sacrifice letting a guy get open, but force quick throws. And whoever said they were dropping 8 most plays, were you watching the same game? Venables sent 6 and alot of blitzes from outside the hashes to keep mond from rolling out. This game was beautiful from a scheme stand point. Trevor has to get his rythm back, but I'd expect him to do so in a game or two(deshaun Watson had similar starts on championship runs). As this season progresses don't be surprised if there's a few"close games"(14-17 point games) the coaches roll in the young players to ready them for postseason play.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Replies: 26
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic