Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Joey Batson: Making Clemson the gold standard one player at a time
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 54
| visibility 1

New Story: Joey Batson: Making Clemson the gold standard one player at a time

Jan 20, 2016, 7:56 AM

Joey Batson: Making Clemson the gold standard one player at a time

Late in Clemson’s win over Oklahoma in the Orange Bowl on New Year’s Eve, ESPN college football analyst Todd Blackledge opined that the Tigers’ domination of the Sooners started in the trenches, and Blackledge said the Tigers were winning the weight room game. That weight room game starts with Joey Batson. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I thought tnet fired him***

Jan 20, 2016, 8:07 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

About the same time they fired Dabo***

Jan 20, 2016, 8:09 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Fire Batson!!!***

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

STS

go BOOM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: STS

Jan 20, 2016, 10:05 AM

A few years ago, I tried to point out on STS that TB had not recruited enough DTs and big OL, TB recruited DEs and tried to turn them into DTs. It can be done but I saw that Dabo was recruiting 2 or 3 DTs every year instead of 1 every 2 years like TB had done.... I tried to state on STS that as the recruiting was improving the progress in the weight room would as well. I must have disagreed with someone that controlled STS, I was banned from the site... but i was correct, 5 years later we had/have a DL and OL that can got toe to toe in the trenches with any team in the country.

To be fair TB recruited to be able to compete with FSU, we needed speed and we did compete with FSU under TB, but got knocked off the ball by Alabama and B12 teams. Big DLs and OLS would give TBs teams fits, we had to out score them with our skill guys.

...and now we have the deepest DT roster in the country.***

Jan 20, 2016, 10:11 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ...and now we have the deepest DT roster in the country.***

Jan 20, 2016, 10:49 AM

Yes but our DEs and LBs got a little thin this year. I would not be surprised if in some games Christian or Albert start at DE, maybe the entire season? I really would like to see what Christian could do at DE. :)

A few years ago, I think we were tight in the secondary, Humphries went into one game at corner.
2 years ago, we moved Green to safety.

They shouldn't ban you for disagreement--discussion is the

Jan 20, 2016, 10:36 AM [ in reply to Re: STS ]

point--I would think. You must have posted something inflammatory. Not that I'm defending them. If they banned you for disagreeing then that's crap.

I have/had a love hate relationship with that site. On one hand it is (or was before the regime change) the best place to go for true, in-depth X/O analysis. On the other hand the owners of the site were pushing their agendas heavily instead of staying objective. Remember back in the day when they were sure that Muschamp was the answer for Clemson? Haha. Kind of ironic considering his tenure in Florida and that he is now the HC at SCAR.

Re: They shouldn't ban you for disagreement--discussion is the

Jan 20, 2016, 10:53 AM

I probably did post something inflammatory. I sometimes do when someone tells me how dumb i am! :)

They banned me too and all I said was

Jan 20, 2016, 10:52 AM [ in reply to Re: STS ]

Why do you effin jackwads always have your panties in bunches?

sensitive bunch they are

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: Joey Batson: What ever happened with his son

Isnt he a solid prospect? What is the story on his recruitment?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 20, 2016, 9:04 AM

Freshman Walk on punter.

Jan 20, 2016, 9:30 AM

A walk on, how could he be a walk on with Joey Batson being the Head S&C coach? We have kids keeping the bench warm that will never be more than 3d/4th team players on full scholarships!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 20, 2016, 9:44 AM

Ah, so that's who all those little guys in freshly-cleaned Clemson jerseys were, dancing and pointing at the camera, smiling midfield after the Orange Bowl win!? :)

Jan 20, 2016, 9:57 AM

If you worked as hard as they do you'd be smiling too.

It's called a team

Ladies and Gentlemen take note on what Batson had to say

Jan 20, 2016, 8:20 AM

As for the game against Alabama, Batson told TigerNet he would be more than just an interested observer.

“It's a measuring stick,” he said. “And when it's all said and done we will go back to the drawing board and re-engineer and do whatever we have to do to get to the next level.”

Something tells me our boys will come out for season weigh ins looking like Monsters!

2024 free_orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Our country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any America because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race.

~Chesty Puller
Lt.General United States Marine Corps

Re: Ladies and Gentlemen take note on what Batson had to say

Jan 20, 2016, 8:26 AM

I think we have enough for a fireplace now.

Jan 20, 2016, 8:21 AM

FFRF just chit another brick.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: Joey Batson: Making Clemson the gold standard one player at a time

Jan 20, 2016, 8:46 AM

"When things got kind of tough, I have a deep faith in Christ and I just kind of stood on that foundation,” he said. “I knew that this was my time and this was where God placed me and what He wanted me to do, and I had a responsibility to go to work each and every day and develop relationships with these players. I don't really think about it - I just go to work every day. My desire is to serve these young men and treat them like my own. To respect them and show a little tough love from time to time."

And that is what has changed the culture at Clemson! It started with Dabo, trickled down to the staff he's put in place and into the right players they're bringing in! With God on our side, we can't lose!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: Joey Batson: Making Clemson the gold standard one player at a time

Jan 20, 2016, 10:42 AM

God is on everybody's side...

For years, with much flaming, I have been standing up for

Jan 20, 2016, 9:02 AM

Batson and other players like Stoudt and DRod on this sometimes "devils playground"!
GO TIGERS, THANK YOU Batson,Stoudt and DRod and others who have had to withstand all the vitriol here!

Jan 20, 2016, 9:19 AM

Well I'm not going to say that I wasn't in that group calling for Batson's head bla bla bla bc I was up there on the front row. I was also on the front row calling for Tommy West, and Tommy Bowden's head. College FB has turned mostly into a money game, but for the fans it's still "all"about the love and pride that the fans have in their team. Even though I have been priced out of being one of our fans in the stands, I still love my Tigers as much and more than I've always have. I'm also very happy that we still have more than 82k plus fans that can still afford to fill Death Valley on Saturday's, and a large group of fans that can still afford to make a great showing in the stadiums on the road. And I'm also proud to be one of those fans that will be heard when things are not going good like under the Tommy West, Tommy Bowden, and the Joey Batson leadership. I'm sure that when the fans made it known long enough that we were unhappy with the direction our loved program was headed, all three of those coaches had to slide over into the hot seat and given a chance to change what they were doing and make changes. Tommy West and Tommy Bowden didn't or wouldn't make the right changes, but Joey Batson did. I'm happy that he did, and I believe that he did bc he loves Clemson and has pride in doing his job as good as he can with what he has to work with. Dabo went to Batson and told him to get and do what needed to be done to get our players in top shape. We all saw the results of what Batson had done with our guys for sure in the LSU game. And it's gotten better, I don't have any problems with the job that Batson is doing with getting our team ready to play against the best of the best. Joey Batson has proven that he can get the job done with the best of them. Give the man a raise!!!

Jan 20, 2016, 10:44 AM

Weight room is a process, one that coach Batson has always stuck to. A year long process. And something you gotta believe in and stick to for it to show results.

For you to say the you saw what he had done in the LSU game lets me know how clueless you really are about the whole process, as clueless now as you were when you were calling for his head and bla bla bla

Jan 20, 2016, 8:31 PM

Absolutely, and until someone gets addicted to seeing and feeling their body grow with muscle and strength, the weight room is hard to stay committed to!!!

Jan 20, 2016, 10:45 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Joey Batson: Making Clemson the gold standard one player at a time ]

That is so cool that he finally learned to do his job.

Jan 20, 2016, 9:34 AM

I remember a ways back he was still learning and we needed someone else. I think the pressure from Tnet made him step it up.

Re: That is so cool that he finally learned to do his job.

Jan 20, 2016, 10:10 AM

I hope you are just being sarcastic!
What changed is the quality and the size of our OL and DL recruits. When Dabo took over the Tigers we had one DT recruit on the 2 deep!

Jan 20, 2016, 10:23 AM

I am sorry there were 2 DT recruits on the roster Jarvis Jenkins and Brandon Thompson.
At one point we Spencer Shuey and Rennie Moore as our backup DTs, I think Rennie Moore actually started at DT one year.

This year we brought in a DT that was ready to play! Next year we have another.....

Obviously I am joking. I never thought Batson...

Jan 21, 2016, 1:30 AM [ in reply to Re: That is so cool that he finally learned to do his job. ]

was the issue. It was talent and depth. That was sarcasm my friend. You really thought that someone thought Tnet had that much power over the program?

Jan 20, 2016, 10:56 AM [ in reply to That is so cool that he finally learned to do his job. ]

I think you are as dumb as that comment. I hope you don't believe tigernet influenced him at all, I hope you have a sense of reality and don't really believe that.

He's always done a terrific job, even going back to his days at Furman. It's people like you who don't deserve to be fans, not Bc of this ######## of "if they're bad, fire them" or "Tommy west would still be here if people didn't want him fired". You have no idea how hard these people work and what they do. You don't see any of the time they put in, you watch a few Saturday's out of the year and think you have a say in who gets fired.

Delusional

I think you're sarcasm meter is broken....

Jan 21, 2016, 1:26 AM

You really think there is a human alive that thinks Tnet is a factor to how our strength and conditioning coach operates?

I wouldn't say we won the battle of the trenches against

Jan 20, 2016, 10:17 AM

Bama when Henry ran 36 times for 158 yards and Gallman only got 45 yards on 14 carries. It was clear we couldn't run inside on them. We did hold our own, however, when you factor in the sacks that we got (5 I think) and the number we gave up (2 I think).

We rushed for more total yards than they did but most of those should be attributed to Watson's scrambling ability.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I wouldn't say we won the battle of the trenches against

Jan 20, 2016, 10:21 AM

However, if you take out Henry's one rush of 60 yards for the TD he ended up with 35 rushes for 98 yards which is an average of 2.8 yards per rush.

True we played him great other than that one run. The same

Jan 20, 2016, 10:32 AM

can be said for Dalvin Cook if you took away about 4 runs.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Correct, it is much better to give up one big play, then shut

Jan 21, 2016, 8:30 PM [ in reply to Re: I wouldn't say we won the battle of the trenches against ]

him down, than to give up 5 or 6 yards on every play.

Message was edited by: longtallsam®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Is it really fair to use Bama as the measuring stick?

Jan 20, 2016, 10:40 AM [ in reply to I wouldn't say we won the battle of the trenches against ]

Their program and recruiting is in a tier of their own right now. The fact that we can blame the loss primarily on secondary breakdowns and special teams ineptitude kind of interesting. Most observers would say they we did pretty well (at least neutral) on the lines of scrimmage which is a credit to Dabo and his staff.

Re: Is it really fair to use Bama as the measuring stick?

Jan 20, 2016, 10:55 PM

Its tough and demoralizing to overcome two major breakdowns or wide open missed assignments in any big game better long a national championship against one of the major powerhouse teams in college football. We still held our own as an offensive unity to keep grinding under the most inopportune time of a preseason or early season defensive player mistake. You are better off just getting beat deep during a feet race than a mentally handout type of breakdowns. It will cost you every time. You have to make them earn every down and every point during a game of this caliber. Team with the less major mistakes has the greater chance of winning.

And yet some people wanted him gone...

Jan 20, 2016, 12:01 PM

Those people obviously never ran a sprint or lifted a weight in his/her life.....

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

good for him, glad he and team are having success, but

Jan 20, 2016, 12:08 PM

did he get better, players get better or did the addition to training tables/etc make it all work.

guess it doesn't matter, just more Dabo magic and the programs finally getting what they need to win championships

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: good for him, glad he and team are having success, but

Jan 20, 2016, 11:16 PM

All those things count when building a program. In the end, it still boils down to who is willing to put in the time, push the weights one rep at a time, and willing to reach down for that extra when the reps, weights, and conditioning get tough. Bottom line, who wants it the most. No 5 star nor world class talent going to get you to the next level; better long, the next game when you face so many different types of teams and players from week to week, month to month, as well as year to year. A player, whether he's a (5 star), (senior or freshman), or a (walk on), most be willing to keep his body ready through the S & C program during the entire season. PS: (B-Y-O-G)

FFRF ain't gonna like this story. That makes me happy.

Jan 20, 2016, 1:15 PM

nm

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 20, 2016, 1:29 PM

Paul Hogan(2012) and Adam Smotherman(GA 2011-2012,FT 2013) being brought in was huge for strength and conditioning

Shots fired... C'mon dude, STS

Jan 20, 2016, 2:46 PM

is a pretty da.mn good site. Dr. B, Kraken, Figure Four, Ryan, Quacking Tiger, Brian and the bunch are some of the most knowledgeable Clemson writers out there. It's not all fluff and those guys tend to know what they are talking about. The game breakdowns and position breakdowns are top notch. Plus they don't have Gamecock trolls, they can just ban the crap out of you.

They only want what TNet and the rest of the fans want, and that's a good Clemson sports program.

Maybe it was nutrition, maybe it was the improved recruiting for the OL, but I think we can all agree that Batson has come a long way.

Re: Shots fired... C'mon dude, STS

Jan 20, 2016, 2:59 PM

<<
Maybe it was nutrition, maybe it was the improved recruiting for the OL, but I think we can all agree that Batson has come a long way.
>>

I think recruiting has improved a long way! We got a few 5 star skill guys and a DE or 2 over TB's Tenure. Since Dabo has been in charge we are now getting 5* DTs and OLs, and LBs and one CB. We have as many 4* in the current class and most schools, I am sure Batson has improved, so has the coaching, that happens when the talent on the field or the weight room is better.

Jan 20, 2016, 11:24 PM

No the players in the weight room has to get better. They must buy into the program while they are in the weight room. Nothing in, Nothing out. Each player has to be (ALL-IN) while they are there. All other teams are preparing for the next game as well. It still boil down to who wants it the most. In the weight room and on the football field.

Jan 21, 2016, 11:19 AM

No amount of 'want to' will allow the talent that Wake Forest recruits to compete on a regular basis with Alabama. It would take a lot of "I do not want to play for these coaches anymore' on Alabama's team for WF to be competitive.
We are not far off the mark that Alabama is setting in recruiting, but we are still a little behind, but one or 2 great players can balance that out. DW and SL or Dodd for example, I still think if MA could have played the whole game we might have won even with the mistakes.

Usually, one person is given too much credit or blame

Jan 20, 2016, 5:13 PM

Joey Batson is the same Joey Batson that he has always been. I don't believe he has drastically changed anything over the past 8 years. First off, there is an entire staff of people training these players- from Joey, to his assistants, to their position coaches, and all the way up to their head coach. Hires like Adam Smotherman and bringing back players that love strength training like Rendrick Taylor can change the culture with the players. Having guys like Terry Allen and Jeff Davis there to teach these kids about heart and drive and taking advantage of opportunities makes a huge difference. Having the training table and nutrition advisors is an incredible benefit.

The biggest thing in my mind though isn't just that we recruit players with higher star ratings, it's that we have a head coach who is recruiting a different TYPE of player. I think that "toughness" is something that you can only teach to a certain degree. Not only can you not teach a man to have guts, stare fear in the face and not flinch, and want to rip someone's face off, but let me explain further: I think that someone being willing to lay it all on the line and do whatever it takes in battle with their brothers is something that only a LOYAL man who believes he is a part of a FAMILY will do. You have to be ALL IN. By not just having a bunch of great athletes who play like hired mercenaries (or thugs who just want to get to the NFL and don't care about their teammates like Miami), but by having a FAMILY who CARES about each other, they will give their all not just for themselves or their draft stock, but because they believe in something bigger than themselves. They believe in the program. They appreciate the opportunity the coaches have given them to be a part of something that will live on long after they are gone. They believe in their teammates and know that they all have each others' backs. I think the players we are bringing in are players that Dabo, BV, et al can see these qualities in. Not just a nasty streak and aggression, but guys who are ALL IN to protect their FAMILY! GO TIGERS!

Re: Usually, one person is given too much credit or blame

Jan 20, 2016, 9:36 PM

Funny no Razzmataz comment here he was one of the main ones calling out Coach Batson weight room is a self thing even with the best trainers if you don't push yourself the best money will not make you stronger only you can do that He can't hang more weight on the bar and say press it or get crushed I ain't helping you. Now with the talent there you have to push yourself or never play

Re: Usually, one person is given too much credit or blame

Jan 20, 2016, 11:29 PM [ in reply to Usually, one person is given too much credit or blame ]

BINGO!! ENOUGH SAID! THAT SUMS IT UP! THAT A RAP! COULDN'T HAVE BEEN SAID BETTER! (THANKS!!)

Jan 21, 2016, 10:10 AM

I think the weight training program has gotten drastically better. Maybe it's the sampling but if you look at some of the older lifting videos and compare them to what we're seeing recently there is a difference. In the older ones they just throwing plates around. Lots of bouncing and excessive spotting that builds a false sense of accomplishment. The newer ones seem more controlled, with better technique.

Jan 21, 2016, 1:03 PM

Batson really is the best. I had the honor of working with him for four years, and the level of dedication he shows to the program is inspiring. He certainly practices everything he preaches in this article, and he develops men, not just players.

Jan 21, 2016, 8:13 PM

If they are willing. An (ALL-IN) Belief in the System type of Mentality. No Doubts.

Feb 1, 2016, 1:17 PM

I posted this last Nov. He may have already broken some records. Batson is getting it done

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=18330946

Seems a little like a low blow to STS.

Feb 1, 2016, 2:23 PM

They've posted a lot of quality information over the years. I think the problem is really the discrepancy between being a "yes" man and offering up criticism over different aspects of the program.

There's a middle ground which I think is being reached with a combination of changes being implemented by the coaching staff as well as given the results on the field.

Replies: 54
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic