Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Coach Elliott is not the best OC
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

Coach Elliott is not the best OC

Jan 14, 2021, 3:43 PM

He only commanded the 3rd best scoring offense in the nation. That’s 2 worse than 1st. Major improvements needed

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Coach Elliott is not the best OC

Jan 14, 2021, 3:48 PM

His play calling is not very imaginative but you can't argue with the numbers. Good recruiter also.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 14, 2021, 3:57 PM

I'd like to see fewer QB runs and more attacking the middle of the field in the passing game. I think with a healthy WR corp we'll be set up nicely for 2021.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 14, 2021, 4:10 PM

Yes.

If best is the standard, then TE needs to step it up

Jan 14, 2021, 3:55 PM

Unless Dabo has modified it to be "3rd best is the standard"

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

If you ain't first, you're last***

Jan 14, 2021, 4:47 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

fortunately nothing on TNET matters in this case

Jan 14, 2021, 6:13 PM [ in reply to If best is the standard, then TE needs to step it up ]

because none of us know anything about the subject. We are on the internet, so that gives us the right to judge and critique! Go internet!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

Yes its amazing how much criticism he has gotten...

Jan 14, 2021, 4:02 PM

people expect absolute perfection from our offense and offer all kinds of concerns when we have a 'letdown' (which really isnt but is when you lose). Im sure if we went back over the last 6-7 years you make an argument our defense has had an equal number of 'bad games' or 'poor coaching'....I love BV but we have gotten absolutely roasted more than a few times in his time here.

Re: Yes its amazing how much criticism he has gotten...

Jan 14, 2021, 4:27 PM

Most of the time when BV's D has gotten toasted, it was more so bc of mistakes made by who ever was covering the Receiver that toasted us. We mostly play man, and when TE's or WR's are all alone down field by themselves, it's bc of a mental era by the guy that it's his responsibility to keep that guy within his range, or closer. With 11 players on each side of the LOS, and with the D playing sound FB, there should never be an offensive player down field all alone, and when there is, his cover guy is doing somebody else's job, and forgot what his job was, IMPO... It's terrible I know, but BV would get flagged if he ran out on the field to cover the guy that slipped past one of our DB's... The rules should be changed to at least allow BV to play when he wants to, or he really needs to, and it's the Refs fault that he can't!!!;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think it's a combination of a number of factors.......

Jan 14, 2021, 4:37 PM [ in reply to Yes its amazing how much criticism he has gotten... ]

Some of the "criticism" of TE is warranted. We've run through the ACC competition which has been less than stellar for the most part with virtually no problems the last couple years, BUT our last 2 playoff games we have scored 25 & 28 points on two defenses (LSU & OSU) that weren't that great. Now, to me that's because of a combination of:
-Oline talent/develepment - our RS and Fr Oline class next couple years should be better
-Play calling - While TE hasn't been "bad" I think he's lacked some diversity/creativity in some cases
-KEEP giving playmakers the ball - this sounds crazy, but as good of numbers as Etienne had over his career I still think he was underutilized to an extent. I'd be curious as to how many games that Etienne ran the ball more than 15 times......may be surprised at how little games he did. Look back to this years title game........Sark kept feeding Harris and Smith and didn't waiver on that much.
-our Top 3 WRs were out this year

Do I think TE deserves 100% of the criticism/blame? absolutely not, but I do think some "tweaks" and constructive offensive evaluation should occur by him and the staff this off season.

As for the defense. I give a slight pass because we are living in an unprecedented era of offensive college football. Even the "good defenses" get torched........Bama and Ohio State were FAR from their "typical" defense this year. I do, however think some tweaks of getting the calls in quicker or changing the method of getting calls in rather than waiting for the final chess move........ie this year's Ohio state game

Really good points and

Jan 14, 2021, 4:45 PM

not running the ball last year made very little sense when it was so successful but there are lot of factors I'm sure we don't know.

Alot of our challenges last year was the fact TL played a bad game...he overthrew side open guys all night long and against OSU he missed a wide open Davis Allen down the seam for what would have been a very long gain or TD. It's not all on Elliott and he didn't even call the ohio st game.

It's frustrating but I think we are just nitpicking to cast blame on someone. The oline has real issues but point ing fingers at elliott aren't as warranted, imo

Re: I think it's a combination of a number of factors.......

Jan 14, 2021, 5:14 PM [ in reply to I think it's a combination of a number of factors....... ]

When it comes to the last two playoff games I think there's 2 important points to consider. 1) Elliott didn't call the plays against Ohio State this year. 2) It's a bit unfair IMO to judge the offensive game plan when the defense is giving up points left and right. Ohio State went 3 and out on their first series, and then scored a touchdown on their next 5. The LSU game really wasn't much different either. That will take you out of your plan on offense pretty fast, and potentially cause your offensive players to play tight and make mistakes due to feeling like they can't rely on the defense.

I'd also argue that the LSU defense was a lot better last year than their numbers showed. They had a lot of injuries on defense last season, and played much better defense late in the season once they had everyone back. This is how they ended their season on defense:

Gave up 20 points to Arkansas - the score was 56-6 until Arkansas scored twice in the last 8 minutes.
Gave up 7 points to Texas A&M.
Gave up 10 points to Georgia.
Gave up 28 points to a high powered Oklahoma offense - the score was 56-14 so 14 of OU's points were well after the game was decided.

Jan 14, 2021, 4:06 PM

I have to agree that 3d is worse than 1st!!! ;)

Can you believe that somebody disagrees with me, I don't know how they ever learned how to click the TD selection bc, to disagree with what I said, they must be a real dumb A$$ if they are confused by simple Maff!!!

Message was edited by: allinallorangeallthetime52®

Jan 14, 2021, 4:29 PM

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good Lord, with the schedule we played, a chicken pecking at

Jan 14, 2021, 4:24 PM

playsheet could have finished 4th...He had 2 NFL QBs and the best RB to ever play in the ACC, did that factor into you evaluation?

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Good Lord, with the schedule we played, a chicken pecking at

Jan 14, 2021, 5:18 PM

He also lost his best receiver before the season started, and then was without 2 of the remaining top 3 receivers for most of the season. He also had 2 games without his starting QB, and had what everyone on here has called terrible OL play. Did that factor into your evaluation?

Also, I'm not disagreeing that our schedule wasn't exactly tough, but can you name the other teams in the top 10 of total offense that you'd consider as having had a schedule against tough defenses?

I don't know why Dabo can't see that.

Jan 14, 2021, 4:26 PM

He must really be dum.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

3rd best for the 3rd best team in the nation.

Jan 14, 2021, 5:20 PM

I'll take a 3rd place finish every single year. That's better than about 125 other teams.

Re: 3rd best for the 3rd best team in the nation.

Jan 14, 2021, 6:09 PM

He also lost 3 of the 4 OL from the year before.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 18
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic