Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I'm overseas and need tech help to watch the games
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 34
| visibility 1

I'm overseas and need tech help to watch the games

Aug 25, 2016, 11:32 PM

I have internet (albeit very expensive). But, I need advice on which VPN is the best (especially if it's free) to use to watch ESPN (I'm an AT&T U-Verse customer, and can log in and watch legitimately at home) and other major broadcasters. I'm not looking for a site that hosts the game. I've had bad luck with them having a lot of ads or just bad quality and reliability. I'm looking for a reliable, preferably free, VPN. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I'm deployed and need tech help to watch the games

Aug 25, 2016, 11:39 PM

AFN should definitely be showing the Auburn game. Past that, when I was in Japan, I always used sites if it wasn't on AFN. Otherwise, you may be out of luck. Tiger Ray usually has a YouTube of game on within 24 hours at least.

I can relate... internet is stupid expensive here.

Aug 25, 2016, 11:41 PM

A couple of guys with me have secured some US IP addresses so they can get watchESPN to work. I'll be watching with them so I haven't had to do this myself.

I'll try to get some more info and send you a tmail.

BTW, I am with the 228th and think I was at Ft. Hood when y'all were there. I went on a training flight with some of your guys before we left...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Where are you and why is it so expensive?

Aug 25, 2016, 11:43 PM

Also, how much for unlimited internet all month?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Where are you and why is it so expensive?

Aug 25, 2016, 11:44 PM

$100 in the hooch. But, to walk around with it, you have to get a puck (hotspot) which is $40/month and is slow and very unreliable. When it works, it switches between 2G and 3G. To stream the games, though, $100 a month

Thanks for the insight.

Aug 25, 2016, 11:50 PM

Might be worth the 100 if you could watch 4 Clemson games over the month. Too bad their aren't some other Clemson fans there to split the cost with. Anyway, thanks for your service. Where are you?

I'm lucky enough to have the most expensive DHI access

Aug 25, 2016, 11:52 PM [ in reply to Re: Where are you and why is it so expensive? ]

in the area from what I hear. $140/month for one device to get enough bandwidth to stream. There is no such thing as unlimited...

The pucks are not very reliable in my area and it is 2G on a good day.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That is terrible. Where are you if you don't mind?*****

Aug 25, 2016, 11:53 PM

Currently at BAF***

Aug 25, 2016, 11:54 PM

Thanks for your service. Good luck getting the game.******

Aug 25, 2016, 11:55 PM

Re: Where are you and why is it so expensive?

Aug 25, 2016, 11:53 PM [ in reply to Re: Where are you and why is it so expensive? ]

100 In the Hootch? Wait, yall have internet? Wait yall have Hootches? Phhh next thing you will be telling me yall get hot chow now and then ;) But in all seriousness, how bad will the service bog down when 70% of those not on watch or mission are watching various games at 2 am?

It gets VERY slow!

Aug 25, 2016, 11:55 PM

I'm not looking forward to trying to watch the games. If it is not on AFN, it will be difficult for sure.

Re: I can relate... internet is stupid expensive here.

Aug 25, 2016, 11:50 PM [ in reply to I can relate... internet is stupid expensive here. ]

I'm looking at this https://www.hidemyass.com/ it used to be free when I deployed last time, but I guess AVG bought them out. I could get it for 6 months to cover football season, although I'd rather pay an extra penny per month ($6.66)!

That was one option, and I can't remember the other...

Aug 25, 2016, 11:53 PM

Give me a few...

Re: That was one option, and I can't remember the other...

Aug 25, 2016, 11:54 PM

https://www.tunnelbear.com/pricing

Aug 25, 2016, 11:56 PM

Willard, I used one last time called firstrowsports. I don't know how it works now, but I had good success with it.

Aug 26, 2016, 12:00 AM

That's one I've used before. I'm really just looking for a VPN. That way I can also download torrents

IP Vanish is working for my neighbor but it is not free.***

Aug 26, 2016, 12:01 AM

Aug 26, 2016, 12:05 AM [ in reply to Re: That was one option, and I can't remember the other... ]

I understand. People have no idea the sacrifice we make lol.. Missing Tiger games is never good! At least now you have some chance to see them. My brother Skyped with his wife and kids every morning on his last deployment. And then complained if they were in River City for a day and couldn't watch his kid eat cereal. I'm like Bro, I can remember getting a 5 min phone call before crossing into iraq, and another 5 when I came back. Be happy lol.

Aug 26, 2016, 12:01 AM [ in reply to Re: That was one option, and I can't remember the other... ]

How is your YouTube connection speed there? With the awesome job Tiger Raydoes, and the time difference, heck, you can probably get a decent, full nights sleep, wake up, and watch the game at your leisure. One really crappy memory I have was waking up @ 2 am to watch us play Bama back in 08. With a CO that was a Bammer.. ugh, should have slept in :(

Aug 26, 2016, 12:16 AM

I watched that game in Iraq on AFN! That was the worst! Yeah, we definitely have it a lot better now. But, there's no replacing hugs on the neck from your kids, and sleeping in the bed with your wife. Not to mention a short walk to the bathroom and not having to wear shower shoes every time you shower (with water that is only one temperature, and a shower curtain that sucks into the shower and touches you the whole time). Or clean porcelain toilets, and no snoring stinking roommates. Man, I got started...

Aug 26, 2016, 12:05 AM

I spent the past four years living in Brasil, and bounced around between several services...the one I found to be most reliable was PureVPN. I just paid $60 to renew the service for another 2 years even though I'm back in the states (for when I travel back to Brasil & so my wife can watch Brasilian TV), and don't regret it one bit.

It's fast, reliable, and has a BUNCH of servers here in the USA. You can customize the connections to view different content (WatchESPN will work with any ole VPN, but services like Hulu & Fox Sports Now will block unless you have a specific type of connection). You can connect using the automatic "best available server", or you can specify where you want to connect. Since I was in Brasil, I would always try to connect to the MIami servers (the less distance the connection has to travel, the better). If that didn't work, I could go for Atlanta, DC, or Houston. The one thing I will say is it's not great on Mac. I bought a MacBook last year and have almost exclusively used PureVPN on my old PC for video just because they haven't gotten the Mac client right yet...so if you've got a Mac I'd skip it.

Hope this helps, thanks for your service!

Aug 26, 2016, 12:16 AM

This is a good option for OP.

I commented below, and I have a Mac, it works fine on my Mac.

Google Chrome sometimes has issues, so use Safari if you have a Mac and log into WatchESPN

Good Luck

Re: I'm overseas and need tech help to watch the games

Aug 26, 2016, 12:13 AM

I'm not sure how long you'll be overseas, but I've lived overseas for 6+ years and I watch every Clemson game. I have some other overseas Clemson friends and we all do the following:

Subscribe to a paid VPN, it works well for me because I live abroad so I use the VPN service when I travel as well. The paid connection also means that not as many people will be using it and the quality of your stream is worth watching.

If you find a good quality free VPN, let me know, but I use Strong VPN, i just renewed my 12 month subscription for about 65 USD, but they should also have a 1 month option. Depending on how long you are overseas, this could be a good option for you.

Their are cheaper VNP providers, but I've been using this service for 6 years with very limited issues.

I don't condone it, but you can also check here if you can't sort out the VPN:

http://ifirstrowus.eu/

Aug 26, 2016, 12:15 AM

A friend of mine uses Waselpro. I think it's $9/month.

Here's a website that ranks popular VPN sites, hope it helps:

http://vpnwebsites.com

Aug 26, 2016, 12:51 AM

are you able to log on to espn where you are? If so, I may have a solution

Aug 26, 2016, 12:57 AM

it gives a different login

Hopefully this will help

Aug 26, 2016, 3:38 AM

When I was overseas I would use ESPN3 which changed to espnplayer.com. ESPN player is a subscription for I think it was 50 euro for the year. You could watch any college game and it keeps them for a few months after the air. If you want to use a VPN, I use IPVanish. You can choose what region/country you want to use. It's like $10 a month or 23 for 3 months. I would always use the espnplayer, but hopefully you can find something to help you out.

forgot about

Aug 26, 2016, 3:42 AM

AirVPN. I think it's Italian, but it's cheap. I think it's like a Euro for 3 days, kinda like a trial, but the prices were similar for weekly/monthly.

ESPN Player is the best solution

Aug 26, 2016, 9:50 AM [ in reply to Hopefully this will help ]

You don't need a VPN with this solution, so the video will be more stable. If you want the best, most stable, video, none of the other solutions are as good as this one. Free 7 day trial.

http://www.espnplayer.com/espnplayer/help.jsp#FAQ

Next best is the recommendation below for http://sportsaccess.se/ No VPN required for this one, either, but the servers probably aren't located as close to you as the above option.

Aug 26, 2016, 4:36 AM

I live in China, so I'm always using VPN's for nearly everything--gmail, facebook, etc. I also recommend paying for a VPN. I've used StrongVPN before, but I've found that you can only switch servers 10 times (I think) before they start charging you. I recommend Astrill and Express VPN I've been using Astrill for about 5 years now and, while it's not perfect, it's very good. You can switch between severs whenever you want. This is good in case one particular server is slow. It's about 5 bucks a month for a year subscription, 7 bucks a month for 6 months, 10 bucks a month for 3 months, etc. I've posted this many times before, but I use Slingbox to watch Tiger games on my father's cable feed. It's really great, if you have someone back home willing to hook it up to their cable. I also watched a Tigers game that wa shown only in ESPN3 (the old Watch ESPN) using my astrill VPN in China. So I honk this should work for you too. Thanks for your service and good luck watching the games!

Aug 26, 2016, 5:57 AM

Amazon Firestick and get the Addon called Sportsaccess...any and every sport in HD

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

My wife and I were looking at those

Aug 26, 2016, 11:58 AM

A few guys over here have jailbroken ones. That would definitely be awesome!

Aug 26, 2016, 7:58 AM

Find a friend or tiger net member with a sling box. They are awesome. Get them to make a new password temporarily and give it to you. Then login in anywhere in the world w wifi and watch watch game. The person w sling box had to be watching game on the tv connected to sling box. After it's over the sling box owner can change there password back to something you don't have. If I can find mine I'll hook it up for you but Not sure where it is.

Aug 27, 2016, 12:21 AM

I'm deployed in the ROK. I was able to reserve a room in the Enlisted Club that has four TVs. Hopefully AFN will broadcast the game since its prime time and a SEC vs ACC game. There's about 20 of us fans that will be watching the game at 10am Sunday morning! Also chk out the USO Club, they usually have lots of TVs too. Good luck!
Matt

Replies: 34
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic