Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
for those interested in cutting the cable - important case
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 355

for those interested in cutting the cable - important case

Jan 13, 2014, 9:13 AM

that may well decided major issues associated with streaming content over the internet is headed to the Supreme Court. IMO, this case has the potential to impact home video viewing in a way that the famous Sony Betamax case did a generation ago. Sony Betamax case was the case that essentially allowed legal taping of broadcast shows via a VCR for later viewing - what the Court termed "time-shifting."

The present case is American Broadcasting Companies, Inc. v. Aereo, Inc. and concerns the impact of the Copyright Act as against Aereo's business model of capturing broadcast transmissions with its antennae in various markets around the country and then re-broadcasting the signals over the internet to subscribers in the market for a fee. The service includes DVR capabilities as well.

IMO, this opinion falls well within the Sony Betamax line of cases as Aereo is simply enabling subscribers to obtain access to content to which the law and the FCC explicitly allow.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2014/01/supreme-court-will-hear-tv-broadcasters-against-aereo/

badge-donor-05yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-conservativealex.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I read this and thought you were talking about aero***

Jan 13, 2014, 9:16 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Re: I gave him a point b/c I want to see this thread go HOF

Jan 13, 2014, 9:17 AM

I didn't however read what he had to say b/c we don't like him around these parts.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

stick with the plan***

Jan 13, 2014, 9:26 AM

Re: I AM, I pointed the post didn't I?***

Jan 13, 2014, 9:32 AM

Re: bump for HOF attack***

Jan 13, 2014, 10:56 AM

Bewm!!***

Jan 13, 2014, 10:59 AM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg2006_nit_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We're friends. You laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You jump off a bridge, I get in my boat and save your retarded a$$.

Re: Bewm!!***

Jan 13, 2014, 11:08 AM

Typical aereo post.***

Jan 13, 2014, 11:46 AM

badge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-snuffys.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

...I never submitted the whole system of my opinions to the creed of any party of men whatever in religion, in philosophy, in politics, or in anything else where I was capable of thinking for myself. Such an addiction is the last degradation of a free and moral agent.

Here's the kicker....companies like DISH, Direct TV, Time

Jan 13, 2014, 1:15 PM

Warner, etc. pay huge fees to carry local OTR broadcasts. If Aero wins, you can BET the cable companies/satellite, etc. will sue the networks because they should not have to pay ABC/NBC/CBS to carry affiliates since those signals are free anyway to anyone with a HDTV and an antenna.

THIS is where ESPN remains safe and smiling all the way to the bank. Likewise, the ultimate effect will be that ABC/CBS, etc. will charge their local affiliate stations huge amounts to broadcast their programming instead of the cable/satellite companies that carry their OTA broadcasts. That will in turn cause stations to start showing more original content to cut costs. This could kill soap operas, etc. not to mention a LOT of local stations.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Eventually it will all blow up and start over again.***

Jan 13, 2014, 1:21 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 10
| visibility 355
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic