Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I am surprised by the nervousness on this board
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 1

I am surprised by the nervousness on this board

May 25, 2012, 7:29 AM

#1 The terms for Clemson to come to the Big 12 have already been hammered out behind the scenes by 3rd parties. The whole reason the Athletic Advisory Committee was formed was to handle these negotiations while key Clemson individuals could offer legit deniability. It is done. FSU and Clemson are coming to the Big 12. These reindeer games have to play out to avoid lawsuits.

#2 Relative to 'conference-realignment-speak' Wilkins basically told you Clemson was leaving last night. He said he would consider offers & used the word "meantime" which means the time between 2 events. How does he know a 2nd event is coming? (wink, wink). Did he pledge his commitment to the ACC? Hell no, he pledged his commitment to do what is in the best interest of Clemson athletics.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I am surprised by the nervousness on this board

May 25, 2012, 7:47 AM

friend of tha dude , nice to see you here.

Sounds good, but I would still love to be in the SEC

May 25, 2012, 7:49 AM

I honestly don't see how USuC, UGAy, and Florida could block us, the bees and the tribe. They are SCARED! GO TIGERS!

Ths answer is TV. We would not bring a market to the SEC,

May 25, 2012, 8:18 AM

the same with FSU. This seems to be the line of thought within the conference.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Ths answer is TV. We would not bring a market to the SEC,

May 25, 2012, 9:06 AM

bingo

Re: Ths answer is TV. We would not bring a market to the SEC,

May 25, 2012, 9:09 AM [ in reply to Ths answer is TV. We would not bring a market to the SEC, ]

I don't think the "market" is the real issue. I'm sure we're competitive with other SEC schools in terms of revenue that could be generated via a TV contract, but the real issue is that we would not increase their revenue per school. So, if we won't make them any additional money per school, and our presence in the SEC only hurts their recruiting efforts, there is no reason to add us.

CU is not going to be in the SEC

May 25, 2012, 9:15 AM

Big money is calling the shots now and Slive is dancing to their tune. Forget abt UF, UGA, USC and UGA blabbing away abt "blocking us"....none of that matters. TV money is driving this train right now...it's Big 12 or football irrelevance for us. I say it's time to catch this train and leave the tobacco rd schools in the dust.

While the conference we're in is important, it's only

May 25, 2012, 8:30 AM [ in reply to Sounds good, but I would still love to be in the SEC ]

important in as much as it gets us a seat at the table. That being said, the big 12 or sec can do that for us.

this whole situation is NOT about conference homerism or conference pride. it's about using a conference for our own goals.

Seems those chumps that touted the ACC are the some of...

May 25, 2012, 8:45 AM

the one complaining about leave and will probably be the only ones to boast about being in the Big.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The SEC is where we NEED to be....

May 25, 2012, 9:06 AM [ in reply to Sounds good, but I would still love to be in the SEC ]

but I have seen zero evidence that they are even remotely interested. They seem to have their sights on Va and NC schools. They can all sod off....we will prosper in the Big 12 and they will rue the day they snubbed CU. Mark my words...

Re: I am surprised by the nervousness on this board

May 25, 2012, 7:57 AM

It is not a done deal. I spoke with BOT member last night. It is still a slight possibility.

Hope (and believe) you are right. Even as the FSU president

May 25, 2012, 9:43 AM

stated, there are so many more (and better) reasons to stay in the ACC.

This HAS to be a ploy to get a concession out of the ACC. If not, the board of trustees need to be removed for sheer negligence.

What more can the ACC do?

May 25, 2012, 10:15 AM

The TV deal was just done - it isn't being renegotiated. This is all about money, the money comes from TV deals and there is no more $ coming for the ACC.

Guys, you don't have to believe me but I am correct - this is a done deal. The details have already been ironed out. After the new Big12 commissioner starts, Clemson is joining the Big12.

CU fans that live in the Mid-Atlantic area are concerned

May 25, 2012, 8:05 AM

I do see their point. All their friends are usually fans of other ACC teams. After I graduated, my first job was in southern Virginia. Suddenly, I am surrounded by fans of VT, NCST, UNC, etc. there was nary a SCar fan to be heard.
Now that I live in Lexington, SC, I am surrounded the fans of SCar. I have seen with my own eyes what the SEC money is doing for SCar football. Their stadium, which looks like an up-side down cockroach, is no longer surrounded by an industrial slum. They have bought the fairgrounds and farmers market and are spending millions making them attractive areas.
Fellow Clemson fans, SEC money has given SCar the funds to really compete with us for the first time in our history. The ACC teams that do not have SEC rivals don't care about our situation. Clemson, FSU, GT, and Miami must either step up to SEC standards or risk becoming a mid-major football school.
The B12 is tied in with the SEC. The SEC will not extend us an invitation. If you want to have a football team worth watching, you had better hope we get an invitation to the B12 and that we accept it.
The ACC is a dead man walking. Swofford destroyed the best athletic conference in the country with his latest TV contract. Keeping Raycom stinks of possible Tarhole favoritism and nepotism. It is unacceptable that we cannot see a copy of the contract. I suspect the 3rd tier rights favor the Basketball schools. It's time for us to go.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"coach speak"--so to speak, anyone who thinks that this is

May 25, 2012, 8:16 AM

not going to happen has not been paying attention.

Nothing is done until the ink is signed...

May 25, 2012, 8:25 AM

But considering the talk last year at this time of FSU and Clemson to the SEC it's clear that FSU and CU have been exploring options for a while now.

If this all just ends up being leverage in the ACC to remove the current leadership and make serious changes, I'm OK with that.

I really think that Clemson needs another 2 current ACC teams to go to the Big 12 with them as regional rivalries are important.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tuxedo, we've been hamstrung by these wussies since

May 25, 2012, 8:34 AM

Danny Ford was forced out. The worm has turned, thankfully and we're getting back to what we should have been all along--a top football program in a power conference. I, for one, am thrilled at the prospect of moving to the Big XII. The mere thought of having to watch another game against the likes of UNC, Wake, or Dook, makes me want to projectile vomit. Watching us play against UT and OU, would be awesome.

Would be stuck playing Iowa State, K-State, Kansas most

May 25, 2012, 9:45 AM

the Texas and Oklahoma schools would be in own division so your dream matchups with UT and OU would be only every few years. But you could make the regular trip to Ames, Iowa, lol.

Speaking of surprise, wait till you play in Death Valley.

May 25, 2012, 8:42 AM

Ask Mack, he'll fill you in.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Point...awesome handle by the way***

May 25, 2012, 8:59 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

To leave the ACC for the disjointed mess that is the Big XII

May 25, 2012, 9:40 AM

would sicken me more than any on-field event.

Yeah, Texas and Oklahoma are nice games of course, but way too many games against the riftraft of that league with awful travel costs and no meaningful rivalries.

There is a reason that Mizzou, Texas A&M, Nebraska, and Colorado all BOLTED as fast as they could. It was by a thread that four more including Texas didn't join the Pac-12.

And to leave the ACC for that mess? Clemson is an inaugural member and deep, meaningful rivalries, more fertile recruiting areas, easier travel ($$ and for fans), and more stable even before the Big 12 was gutted. Add in the negative impact on essentially all other sports.

Big 12 offers little but RISK. A chance for a little more money for current TV deal (speculative!) and going forward, the ACC probably offers more.

Big 12 Conference is a shell of its former self.

Mark my words. IF Clemson accepts Big 12 membership, it will go down as gross negligence by the powers that be and studied as a business case across schools.

Re: Dude...

May 25, 2012, 9:48 AM

crawl back under your #### kissin acc rock. You obviously think that 5 to 12 million dollars isn't worth it. What an idiot. If we leave, you can still long to play Duke and UVa and those other no attendance, no care schools. One things for certain, you can even buy a cheap ticket to see one of their games that mean so very much to you.

enjoy trips to Ames, IA, Manhattan, KS, Lubbick, TX, etc

May 25, 2012, 9:53 AM

I am a Clemson fan 2nd btw so I do have a vested interest in what happens.

Big 12 MAYBE if it had Nebraska, Texas A&M, Mizzouri, and Colorado, but as it stands today?? NFW...

Re: enjoy trips to Ames, IA, Manhattan, KS, Lubbick, TX, etc

May 25, 2012, 10:10 AM

Then leave. Clearly you put your own interests ahead of our university's. I would hardly classify a trip to armpits like Pitt and/or Syracuse as "enticing".

No thanks on Missouri or Colorado....

May 25, 2012, 10:15 AM [ in reply to enjoy trips to Ames, IA, Manhattan, KS, Lubbick, TX, etc ]

Colorado is a corrupt program in shambles and Missouri is going through thier first successful period since the 1960s.

The Clemson/GT rivalry will be similar to that of

May 25, 2012, 10:29 AM [ in reply to enjoy trips to Ames, IA, Manhattan, KS, Lubbick, TX, etc ]

Ga Southern and App State. Great within their league but meaningless in the big picture.

If you're a Clemson fan 2nd and not first, then please, go where you are first a fan and chat with those people.

This is a Clemson site. Perhaps you should chat at www.theacc.com

There will be meaningful rivalries if FSU, Miami, and GT...

May 25, 2012, 10:06 AM [ in reply to To leave the ACC for the disjointed mess that is the Big XII ]

Leave with us. The ACC is a basketball league. Simple as that. UNC and Duke pull the strings in a conference that Clemson and FSU bring in the money. It doesn't work like that and the ACC will find out when they let FSU and Clemson leave and tell us they "never wanted to play with us anyway."

$17 Million a year when the Big 12 and SEC will be pulling in $25 Million per year? I know UVA doesn't have any SEC rivals but Clemson does and that won't cut it. Clemson and Maryland created the ACC as a football league. But it isn't the conference we envisioned.

Sure, but that is a totally different scenario. FSU isn'***

May 25, 2012, 10:07 AM

Have fun playing Dook in the toilet bowl, you homer.***

May 25, 2012, 10:09 AM [ in reply to To leave the ACC for the disjointed mess that is the Big XII ]

NaychaBoy - you are clueless

May 25, 2012, 10:18 AM [ in reply to To leave the ACC for the disjointed mess that is the Big XII ]

The Big 10 announcing they were expanding caused Mizzou to hike up their skirt & then the Big 12 became unstable.....BUT NOW.....the Big 12 has a 6 year Grant of Rights that is about to be expanded to 13 years.

It is IMPOSIBLE to be more stable than the Big 12 is right now. In fact, it is a HUGE red flag that the ACC didn't put a Grant of Rights in place with its new TV deal. Why doesn't the ACC have one? Because the TV deal is so pathetic, no conference member will sign a GOR.

Let's see how this plays out, you are counting your

May 25, 2012, 10:25 AM

chickens a bit early.

Grant of Rights was a last-ditch effort to save a conference from a death spiral. No self-respecting conference needs to do it. It may work in short-term, but long-term same problems are still there.

Let me assure you, grant of rights contracts can be broken, mediated, litigated if a party really wants to leave. This may end up happen with Texas to Pac-12 at some point. Not that I expect it too, but it is a possibility down the road if Big 12 expansion attempts fail.

ACC will be a good lacrosse conference, though. Maybe a

May 25, 2012, 10:27 AM

chess championship could come out of this as well if we stay.

I agree...

May 25, 2012, 10:35 AM

And frankly I'm surprised at people who think this is a bad idea.

ESPN and the four big conferences are moving in a clear direction for college football's future. That future does not include the ACC. If we want to remain relevant, it's time to go.

I'm looking forward to it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

Replies: 32
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic