Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
couple of thoughts on the un-amateuring of amateur athletes
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

couple of thoughts on the un-amateuring of amateur athletes

Oct 2, 2019, 3:31 PM

1. Do scholarships go away?

2. If not, maybe they are only available to those not being paid for their image/endorsement

3. What is to keep this from trickling down to High School athletes?

4. How many athletes, per school, would it really effect? What about those who aren't considered "marketable"? Will they have a case moving forward b/c they aren't being compensated as much?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: couple of thoughts on the un-amateuring of amateur athletes

Oct 2, 2019, 3:35 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

You said a couple.

Oct 2, 2019, 3:39 PM

I counted four.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

And they weren't "thoughts" -- they were questions***

Oct 2, 2019, 3:40 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Oct 2, 2019, 3:57 PM

Do colleges have to disclose the true costs of a "scholarship" athlete that includes all "benefits" to the players like medical treatment, training, per diem, clothes, ...?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 2, 2019, 4:10 PM

To your 3rd point - this is a non issue to HS athletes. Take Zion for example who had millions of followers and celebrates on social media way before he was at Duke. If a business sees value in paying him to advertise a product he could do that in HS but is against NCAA rules

Oct 2, 2019, 4:33 PM

Actually, in California he would lose his eligibility. The law addresses college athletes specifically.

Oct 2, 2019, 4:33 PM

1. Do scholarships go away?

No! Why are earth would they go away? Baker Mayfield can appear in a Hulu commercial and not forfeit his salary. A college player should be able to do the same without forfeiting his education. Literally the only reason I can see for this would be if you were petty and wanted to punish them for what they were previously given. Emma Watson went to college and still was able to make money in appearance fees and it bettered the university for having her be a student. I don't see how sports is much different.

2. If not, maybe they are only available to those not being paid for their image/endorsement?

Why? If Paws dinner wants to be the restaurant of the Clemson Tigers and give everyone on the team free food for that advertising why would that affect their scholarship. Busch literally gave a kid a year of supply for the free marketing they received on a game day sign he made and no one threatened to take his scholarship.

3. What is to keep this from trickling down to High School athletes?

Who cares if it does? If a local business runs an ad campaign with a high school player they should get to profit from it. The place every student went to get senior pictures done in my hometown was been displaying AJ Green's senior picture for years. IF that business is willing to pay for him to be the face shouldn't he have been able to take advantage of that?

4. How many athletes, per school, would it really effect? What about those who aren't considered "marketable"? Will they have a case moving forward b/c they aren't being compensated as much?

They got the idea of being paid for your likeness from the Olympics. Olympic athletes are not paid by the US government, but they are welcome to sell their own likeness and profit from a job well done. So you can look at the Olympics and see it largely won't affect that many players. Must will be given free stuff and will use their platform to promote. All college football players will basically become Instagram influencers with ranging degrees of success. The best will sign deals with Nike or other companies early, mediocre players will get deals with Lunchables, and a kicker might appear in a local car commercial. Unlike the current system, Ben Batson will not get the same benefits that Trevor Lawrence does that's for the better.

Oct 2, 2019, 4:39 PM

A local business runs an ad campaign with a high school player? Nike and any other big company will be signing athletes left and right trying to get them before there value goes up. Then any business tied to a college is going to be throwing money at them to come their way.

Oct 2, 2019, 5:13 PM

It won't be that frequent though. Currently Nike has 55 professional basketball players signed and that includes both the NBA and international leagues. There are 150 starters in the NBA alone so assuming other brands make up the rest of the starters you are still assuming Nike will not endorse a backup in the NBA. So by signing a high school player they would essentially be taking a risk that player becomes a full time starter. You would rarely see any company take that risk, strictly because of the poor returns. If Zion blew his Achilles against UNC and never returned at least he would be able to make money off of his former stardom from high school and college.

Also 99% of business have better use for their money than trying to get someone to go to their Alma matter. Most business do not have that much surplus in capital and would have a hard time explaining to a shareholders board, owners, or employees why they are giving money to high school kid for the chance he goes to a school the owner likes. No company is going to waste their money on something they have no investment stake in.

You're referencing NIKE,

Oct 2, 2019, 5:40 PM

splain Oregon.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Re: You're referencing NIKE,

Oct 2, 2019, 6:50 PM

There is a huge difference between giving money in endorsements to a individual player and donating money to a school. If there is a difference in the tax code there is a difference in a shareholders view.

If boosters at big schools want to pay recruits who sign

Oct 2, 2019, 8:03 PM [ in reply to Re: couple of thoughts on the un-amateuring of amateur athletes ]

let em who cares

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Amateur poast is amateur and

Oct 2, 2019, 6:02 PM

A bit immature

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Amateur poast is amateur and

Oct 2, 2019, 7:55 PM

Agreed and I apologize. Need to get better at coming across in a more polite manor and not taking such hard stands. Hopefully the longer I’m here and the more I post the better I’ll get. Thanks for being open and patient to amateurs like myself.

Re: Amateur poast is amateur and

Oct 2, 2019, 8:05 PM

Oct 2, 2019, 6:19 PM

My money stops going to scholarship funds. I’ll probably stay home and watch from the vpuch

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Oct 2, 2019, 6:37 PM

Sounds like legalized boosterism to me. Schools with the biggest boosters can attract the best talent.

Oct 2, 2019, 7:59 PM

From stories like Rashad Garry’s I tend to think it’s already going on. If it’s legal they might be able have a better monitor on it and create other rules to regain parity.

Oct 2, 2019, 7:56 PM

I think California is just trying to regulate the price that Hollywood celebs and Chinese billionaires have to pay to buy fake sports scholarships to get their kids into Stanford.

The obvious solution to me is to drop all age-requirements for the NFL and stop letting kids who don't meet the admission criteria into college. It would destroy our current concept of college football, but it would at least be fair to all the parties involved. The NCAA stopped being about education a long time ago.

Oct 2, 2019, 8:03 PM

All good questions.

How about the transfer portal dynamics?

Player-X spends a year or two at a non-Cali school, lights it up, Heisman hype, etc.

FatCat California school booster reaches out, promises $200.000 for an autographed picture if he flips. How is this regulated or policed?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 3, 2019, 8:02 AM

See? This post proves you are in fact capable of lucid thought. You ought to do more of that. Only one thing, and I do know we have a special TNet dictionary, but don't think this was part of that. It should be "who will be AFFECTED, not EFFECTED. This is so often used wrongly that the Interweb dictionary says most people just substitute "impacted" now instead of attempting to use either one. I know I am attempting to be the grammar police, but this is the most common error I see other than "leave" in place of "let". I can't imagine the old Beatles song as "Leave it Be".

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic