Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Call me an idiot, coot or whatever
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 34
| visibility 1

Call me an idiot, coot or whatever

Feb 15, 2018, 12:45 PM

What bothered me about the game last night was we do things that well coached teams don't do. The best players in the world miss shots and make mistakes but things I saw last night drive me crazy. Below is a list of just some of them.

1. FSU brought full court press most of the night after they scored. Well coached teams grab the ball quickly to throw it in BEFORE the press sets up. We did not. We slowly got the ball and then after waiting threw it in bounds and most times threw it to our man who was in the corner being trapped. Other times to give them time to set the press FSU grabbed the ball out of the net after they scored and threw it to the ref. This is a delay tactic. All Brad has to do is to confront the official and tell them we want the ball out of the net. The ref will give FSU a warning then the next time they do it they get called for a technical foul. Brad has to talk to ref EARLY in the game to make them aware its a violation.

2. Skara never comes to meet the ball when its passed to him. More than twice this resulted in a turnover that could have been easily avoided by coming to meet the ball.

3. We had a 2 or 4 point lead late in the game and we had the ball. Brad called a time out. Our last time out, which we should have saved. When the time out was over we had ONE person in motion trying to get open. We got called for a 5 second violation. This had been a issue since Brad was hired, not being able to through the ball in bounds.

4. At end of regulation we had the ball and a 2 point lead with 36 seconds left on the game clock. IF we run the shot clock down to zero at best FSU would have less than 6 seconds left to drive the length of the court to score, and they had no time outs left. What do we do? We shoot the ball with 18 seconds left and miss the shot on top of that. This gives FSU plenty of time to drive for tying basket which they did.

5. Late in overtime we only had 4 team fouls and we were down by 2 points with less than 30 seconds left to play. FSU did not have to shoot the ball all they had to do was to dribble the clock out. SMART teams would foul 3 times quickly to get FSU in the bonus. Heck even Giminski questioned our strategy. But we don't foul. Instead we try to trap in back court which leaves FSU an open layup.

6. Devoe has been on fire the last few weeks. But last night he was MIA. We should have run some plays to get him open.

7. Thomas gets called for a moving pick EVERY game. Brad has to coach him up on this point, HAS TO. He gets in foul trouble and goes to the bench almost every game.

8. One handed passes off the dibble drive me nuts. Fundamentals have left basketball a long time ago. 30 years ago players and coached were more fundamentally sound.

I'm sure some in here will reply how smart I think I am and IF I am so smart why aren't I coaching a team. We I am not a coach, I am not an expert which goes to make my point. If a CASUAL basketball fan like me can identify flaws in our team's preparedness something must be wrong.

This year Brad's coaching flaws have been hidden by the fact that we are making 3's and free throws at a rate few Clemson fans remember. IF it were not for our great shooting ability I'm afraid we would be a .500 team. I love the team with its talent but we are not prepared like I wish we were. Brad reminds me a lot of Tommy Bowden. I don't know if Brad supporters also were supporters of Bowden or not. But I was also very critical of Tommy way back because of the same issues, a poorly prepared team.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Call me an idiot, coot or whatever

Feb 15, 2018, 12:49 PM

Reed makes his jump shot and we win. DeVoe had set plays for him and missed open shots. Not the best coached game for sure but our boys had a chance to win and didn't make the shots to do so.

Agreed. I don't necessarily like to nitpick plays and calls

Feb 15, 2018, 2:37 PM

in hindsight, then call the team poorly coached or whatever, but yeah we woulda/coulda/shoulda.

You're an idiot, a coot or a whetever. ;)***

Feb 15, 2018, 12:50 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 15, 2018, 12:50 PM

Coot.

Just kidding. Good post.

You asked for it....

Feb 15, 2018, 12:52 PM

https://youtu.be/xjmjtOnDyYs

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good post, heatman

Feb 15, 2018, 1:06 PM

nm

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 15, 2018, 1:28 PM

Did anyone see us being 20-5,9-4 in the ACC this time of year? I think the team has exceeded expectations. I agree we should have won, but going in I didn't think we would. I wasn't able to watch the first half, but I did watch the second. Turnovers started biting us and Florida State hit more shots, but I don't think we need to jump off a cliff due to an OT loss on the road. Just my $.02.

Feb 15, 2018, 1:34 PM

This may be the best post on b-ball I’ve seen all year. Well thought out and spot on. You’re correct in stating this is not a one game thing. I’ve been told similar things by people who have grown up playing bball... not street ball but actual competition ball.

Cmoney is correct in what he’s saying as well, although it should never have gotten to that point.

It would be interesting to hear Brownell response if someone sat down and interviewed him on these points. Ok B.B. supporters, fire away.

Go Tigers!!!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I much prefer the objective and tangible posts, like when

Feb 15, 2018, 2:22 PM

someone talks about the fact we're 20-5 and have one of our best basketball teams in decades.

I'm not much into Hindsight coaches who think they can nitpick every single play they didn't like. It's really kind of silly. The big picture should be the focus.

Re: I much prefer the objective and tangible posts, like when

Feb 15, 2018, 2:57 PM

I think that’s what contractors saying and i agreed... I think.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 15, 2018, 1:35 PM

Well thought out post for the most part, but the 5 second violation was in overtime when we were down by a point. We did have a turnover late in the 2nd half up by 4 when FSU stole an inbounds pass. Also, when we were up 2 late and had the ball, we attempted a shot with 8 seconds left on the shot clock, and 23 seconds left in the game. So the most we could have ran the clock down to would have been 15 seconds, and the shot we attempted was a wide open shot only a few feet away from the basket.

Also had a chance to foul at end of regulation and didn't

Feb 15, 2018, 1:36 PM

As soon as FSU crossed the halfcourt they should have been fouled. At that point had 2 fouls to give before the bonus. They would have had to inbound the ball and we could have fouled again. Again they would have had to inbound. Like you already said, if we would have held onto ball until shot clock was out and then fouled when they had the ball, not much time (if any) should have been left to take a reasonable shot. I'm not a coach but I understand the concept of time.

Re: Also had a chance to foul at end of regulation and didn't

Feb 15, 2018, 2:05 PM

I agree on the fouls, but I can't find fault in taking a shot with 8 seconds left on the shot clock when that shot is a wide open attempt only a few feet away from the basket. Correct me if I'm wrong, but looking back, we could have only ran the clock to about 15 seconds even if we let the shot clock run all the way down. I think taking the shot where we took it was the right thing to do, as it was a high percentage shot that would have made it a two score game.

could have ran it down to 9 seconds***

Feb 15, 2018, 3:16 PM

Re: Also had a chance to foul at end of regulation and didn't

Feb 15, 2018, 9:22 PM [ in reply to Also had a chance to foul at end of regulation and didn't ]

This is probably coach Brownells biggest flaw. Many supposedly knowledgeable people say he's good at X's and O's, and I'm not knowledgeable enough to argue that point, but it seems like he's lacking strategically.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Call me an idiot, coot or whatever***

Feb 15, 2018, 1:41 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Feb 15, 2018, 1:43 PM

I’m not gonna call you an idiot because of your excellent formatting. Coot. No, they couldn’t do that either. Moran.

Yep, that feels right.

Message was edited by: CtLiEgMeSrOsN®

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Do you allow your mother to call you Whatever?***

Feb 15, 2018, 1:44 PM

I’ve got another one to add.

Feb 15, 2018, 1:46 PM

We still had 3 fouls to give at the end of regulation. We don’t foul anyone and watch FSU score the tying basket.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 15, 2018, 1:48 PM

1. It is not delay of game for throwing the ball to the ref after a made basket.

2. I agree. Skara is a glorified walk-on at this point who can sort of defend.

8. One hand passes off the dribble are necessary in the half court. You need to be able to pass with both hands at this level of basketball. In fact, this is taught by every good coach. Ever heard of a hammer pass? Yeah, one handed pass driving baseline then thrown to the corner.

This is not a poorly prepared team, this was just one case in which we could not handle the havoc defense. People must understand too, Florida St is just not a good matchup for our basketball team and really never has been. Their length and athleticism runs its course on our small ball lineups and that was evident in the amount of turnovers that were forced. But to your credit we made a lot of unforced errors as well.

Good post all in all

Feb 15, 2018, 9:24 PM

In defense of scarra, he was fouled on his last shot attempt. Another great no call.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 15, 2018, 1:52 PM

Well I agree with you... coot, idiot, whatever.
The difference between Tommy Bowden and Brad Brownell is that Clemson football was never picked to finish last or in the bottom third of the conference but always lost games he was supposed to win.
Brad has not had talent after Oliver left the cupboard bare and yet this year has exceeded expectations ALL year with a 20-5 record.
And I agree that you know nothing about coaching basketball.
Do you really think the WHOLE staff doesn't coach Elijah Thomas on moving screens,that the WHOLE staff ignores the sloppy ball handling, the Whole staff tells David Skara don't come to the ball we need you to be a stationary target then this proves that you have NEVER coached a team.
You teach and teach and teach and yet players make decisions when they are on the court.

Whatever....

Feb 15, 2018, 2:11 PM

??

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Coach Hindsight, you're right. Well coached teams never make

Feb 15, 2018, 2:17 PM

mistakes or miss shots.

Sigh...

You're obviously a coot

Feb 15, 2018, 2:18 PM

because you've said something true, and negative, about our basketball performance last night.

Prepare thyself for pitchforks and torches...

Re: You're obviously a coot

Feb 15, 2018, 2:21 PM

Too much time spent on trying to make a point on something you don't get paid to do.

I woud say most everything he said is opinion.

Feb 15, 2018, 2:47 PM [ in reply to You're obviously a coot ]

Opinions are like buttholes, and too, they shouldn't be presented as "true" or factual.

The guy was clearly upset we lost, and I think he let his fingers work out some aggression on the keyboard. Venting pent up frustration and opinions, that's all it was. And sadly he's seemingly lost sight of the big picture. That's a shame, but I'm sure he'll be back on board if we advance to the tourney and whatnot..

Feb 15, 2018, 7:09 PM

What bothered me about the game last night was we do things that well coached teams don't do. The best players in the world miss shots and make mistakes but things I saw last night drive me crazy. Below is a list of just some of them.

1. FSU brought full court press most of the night after they scored. Well coached teams grab the ball quickly to throw it in BEFORE the press sets up. We did not. We slowly got the ball and then after waiting threw it in bounds and most times threw it to our man who was in the corner being trapped. Other times to give them time to set the press FSU grabbed the ball out of the net after they scored and threw it to the ref. This is a delay tactic. All Brad has to do is to confront the official and tell them we want the ball out of the net. The ref will give FSU a warning then the next time they do it they get called for a technical foul. Brad has to talk to ref EARLY in the game to make them aware its a violation.

2. Skara never comes to meet the ball when its passed to him. More than twice this resulted in a turnover that could have been easily avoided by coming to meet the ball.

3. We had a 2 or 4 point lead late in the game and we had the ball. Brad called a time out. Our last time out, which we should have saved. When the time out was over we had ONE person in motion trying to get open. We got called for a 5 second violation. This had been a issue since Brad was hired, not being able to through the ball in bounds.

4. At end of regulation we had the ball and a 2 point lead with 36 seconds left on the game clock. IF we run the shot clock down to zero at best FSU would have less than 6 seconds left to drive the length of the court to score, and they had no time outs left. What do we do? We shoot the ball with 18 seconds left and miss the shot on top of that. This gives FSU plenty of time to drive for tying basket which they did.

5. Late in overtime we only had 4 team fouls and we were down by 2 points with less than 30 seconds left to play. FSU did not have to shoot the ball all they had to do was to dribble the clock out. SMART teams would foul 3 times quickly to get FSU in the bonus. Heck even Giminski questioned our strategy. But we don't foul. Instead we try to trap in back court which leaves FSU an open layup.

6. Devoe has been on fire the last few weeks. But last night he was MIA. We should have run some plays to get him open.

7. Thomas gets called for a moving pick EVERY game. Brad has to coach him up on this point, HAS TO. He gets in foul trouble and goes to the bench almost every game.

8. One handed passes off the dibble drive me nuts. Fundamentals have left basketball a long time ago. 30 years ago players and coached were more fundamentally sound.

I'm sure some in here will reply how smart I think I am and IF I am so smart why aren't I coaching a team. We I am not a coach, I am not an expert which goes to make my point. If a CASUAL basketball fan like me can identify flaws in our team's preparedness something must be wrong.

This year Brad's coaching flaws have been hidden by the fact that we are making 3's and free throws at a rate few Clemson fans remember. IF it were not for our great shooting ability I'm afraid we would be a .500 team. I love the team with its talent but we are not prepared like I wish we were. Brad reminds me a lot of Tommy Bowden. I don't know if Brad supporters also were supporters of Bowden or not. But I was also very critical of Tommy way back because of the same issues, a poorly prepared team.

Ok, I'll oblige you. You're an idiot.

Feb 15, 2018, 7:31 PM

Idiot, coot , whatever!!!

You're not a coot, but you're blaming Brad

Feb 15, 2018, 7:42 PM

for our players lack of execution or our lack of depth, and their players execution in many places

1) FSU is far deeper than us, especially in the backcourt. Trapp is a serviceable player for 6-8 minutes a game, but We're playing 3 guards 35 minutes a game right now. This is where not having Grantham really hurts us as he could shift to 3 and handle the ball. Skara just can't do that. You simply can't get in a track meet in that situation on the road

2) Players have to do this. Coaches coach it. Last night it was just bad passes. All five games we've lost we've turned the ball over. 5 out of 25 is a pretty good percentage there

3) We've had zero issues getting the ball inbounds this year until this game twice. That was a Grantham issue in the past

4) Was it a good shot? Score and you win. If its a good shot take it. They can score with 6 or 18 seconds to tie or win

5) that was questionable

6) you seriously think we weren't trying to get Gabe the ball? FSU is among the longest teams in the league. They are a very tough matchup for us on the perimeter as we are not. He was well guarded all night. Props to them

7) at what point does the player need to take responsibility? Yes, he does it almost every game. That's on him, not coaching

8) me too, but everyone does it, not a Brad issue

I question some in game strategy, including not fouling, but you're putting way to much on coaching. Players win games, or so I've heard somewhere. We aren't beating any ACC team except maybe Pitt with 21 turnovers, especially on the road. It's really as simple as that

Agree with many of your points, but in regards to....

Feb 15, 2018, 11:37 PM

The first point, I think we can get more minutes out of Trapp at this point in the season. Brownell tends to play young guys early but then bench them for the whole second half.
I feel like Trapp could be used more at times...especially in 3 guard sets.
We may find out real soon if Mitchell misses any time.

Feb 15, 2018, 8:29 PM

Save your effort, people on here are going to defend Brownell to their last breath. There are some of us who understand poor coaching that is buoyed by some hot shooting, and there are others who think in year 8, everything is going to suddenly change

I wanted him fired after last season

Feb 15, 2018, 9:17 PM

to blame a coach for poor plays, by players, just doesn't fly. Plays they've made the bulk of the year. The time out management was questionable, as was not fouling. Neither lost us the game. 21 turnovers, many leading to breakaways did. That's on the players, not the coaches

what I saw last night . .

Feb 16, 2018, 12:22 AM

and from the perspective of a retired BB coach . . . .
1. We didn't, and hardly ever box out. The person how has the best shot to rebound a missed shot is the shooter. You always turn and put a body on the shooter. WE DO NOT. And he's not the only one to block out, but for crying out load. And, when you play a game against better athletes, boxing out is so important. Look at he rebounding last night and look at the Off rebounds especially. Terrible.

2. The refs missed a few, well more than a few calls. Most hurt us, a couple went our way But the majority went against us. But again, when the refs don't call it tightly, the better athletes will have the bigger advantage.The kicked ball during FSs run, was so obvious. Yes they scored. We gave up way too many transition points.

3. We ran/run no offense for much of the game. It worked in the first half, it did not in the second half. if you have a clear advantage over a player, you need to seize the moment. But we decided to be careless and out of control. How many times did we did loose the ball, fall over ourselves, etc. Non forced errors. FS took advantage of that. Did Brad have an offensive game plan to revert to when the 1 on 1 wasn't working? I didn't see it.

4. When you are ahead, towards the end of the game . . and you have fouls to give . .give them!! Make them throw the ball in several times, to use up more time. Don't let them come down and set up for a final shot to tie or win. You have fouls to give, foul them!!!! 25 seconds becomes 12 seconds when you keep making them reset Brad. Did you nod out? What were you thinking?

I am very frustrated with last night's game. I don't expect to win all of them . .which is why this is one you had to win !! Big let down and we'll see how much it effected the team.

Replies: 34
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic