Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
How is Covid-19 affecting YOU?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 61
| visibility 1

How is Covid-19 affecting YOU?

Mar 26, 2020, 1:38 PM

Let’s hear how this situation has affected you and stuck together in these times with some shared hardship as it’s affecting everyone around the globe right now.

This is about how it has affected you so far. Is your business struggling? Big family vacation plans gone? Worry about your health or family health? Or is possibly not even affecting you at all? It’s ok to say that as well.

For me it has cancelled three work stops I was meant to do, in Los Ángeles in March, Cherokee in April and then the WSOP in Las vegas this summer (not officially cancelled yet but everyone is assuming).
I finished battling lymphoma in March of 2019, so the previous year was a stay at home and recover type of year for me. 2020 was meant to be the year I started doing a lot of stuff again. I was planning 2-3 fun international trips after my work with some money I saved from 2019 work. So obviously all of that is now unclear.

How has it changed your plans or affected you?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: How is Covid-19 affecting YOU?

Mar 26, 2020, 1:46 PM

I work for a foreign airline that is basically cutting all service to the USA starting next week.

The decision on furloughs is expected to happen Monday.

I'm now a Televangelist! All church messages

Mar 26, 2020, 1:52 PM

and devotionals on-line ??

Re: I'm now a Televangelist! All church messages

Mar 26, 2020, 7:21 PM

I work as a meat cutter at a chain store. I have never been as tired as I am now. We have worked from the start of the day , until after 6 :30. 6 days for last 2 weeks. I am 66 years old. ####.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 26, 2020, 1:53 PM

Well, I’m getting prepared to lay off most of my employees. Hoping to not be bankrupt before summer.

Other than that, things are great...until the TP runs out.

Mar 26, 2020, 1:56 PM

Dang, don't say that... Hopefully you'll get a large chunk of the pie. Sounds like you need it.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 26, 2020, 5:03 PM [ in reply to Re: How is Covid-19 affecting YOU? ]

When the stimulus kicks in your laid off workers will be
getting more money laid off than working.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 26, 2020, 1:53 PM

First, congrats on battling through lymphoma.

We did have to cancel a family vacation last week. So, I was scheduled off anyway. This week, I stayed home from work. Our business has suffered some but it won't be devastating. Nor will it be devastating if it continues for another month... We have enough coming in and fortunately several people as myself that really didn't need the money.

Church being closed is lonesome but just from the standpoint it changes the schedule and feel like having to do something else. Largely, missing Tiger sports and golf. Probably more if we were busy travelers.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 26, 2020, 1:56 PM

I work from home as an engineer for an insurance company...so not much change for me right now professionally (knock on wood). I am currently voluntarily quarantining from the rest of my family due to contact I had with an infected person two weeks ago...today is my last day in isolation!

My wife is a special needs teacher and is basically at home...probably for the rest of the school year. My son attending Clemson and my HS Soph are home and taking online classes. My daughter works at a law firm in Charlotte and is considered essential, so she is still going to the office...she’s scared but being careful.

Overall, we have been very lucky and complaining about any inconveniences we may experience would just be selfish considering what others are and will be going through.

Mar 26, 2020, 2:31 PM

T_I_P said:

Let’s hear how this situation has affected you and stuck together in these times with some shared hardship as it’s affecting everyone around the globe right now.

This is about how it has affected you so far. Is your business struggling? Big family vacation plans gone? Worry about your health or family health? Or is possibly not even affecting you at all? It’s ok to say that as well.

For me it has cancelled three work stops I was meant to do, in Los Ángeles in March, Cherokee in April and then the WSOP in Las vegas this summer (not officially cancelled yet but everyone is assuming).
I finished battling lymphoma in March of 2019, so the previous year was a stay at home and recover type of year for me. 2020 was meant to be the year I started doing a lot of stuff again. I was planning 2-3 fun international trips after my work with some money I saved from 2019 work. So obviously all of that is now unclear.

How has it changed your plans or affected you?

Congrats on beating lymphoma. That's awesome ??

Covid has me stuck in Iraq with the State Department. I'm not complaining though because I'll continue to get a paycheck and that's a lot more than most. However, I was supposed to be leaving for R&R this week and it's delayed indefinitely. It's affecting my wife more than me.. first, she is ready for me to be home and second, she's a firefighter in Northern VA. She's busy running calls and protecting others all while doing it alone. Strong and brave woman.

Mar 26, 2020, 2:45 PM

Not being critical BTM but need to be educated. Why does an insurance company need an engineer ? Assessing damages and costs of rebuilding ?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 26, 2020, 3:17 PM

Ha! No worries. Think large industrial property insurance for chemical plants, refineries, large-scale automotive, warehousing, etc. There are companies that underwrite all those things and need engineering types (I’m mechanical) to assess and help ascertain exposure to fire, explosion, mechanical breakdown, etc.

Mar 26, 2020, 7:43 PM

BTM, I knew exactly what you were talking about!
One of my most favorite people, an uncle, was a 1949 Clemson grad Mech Engr. He spent much of his career, doing your job, for a huge underwriter in the US.
He was lucky enough to work and travel all over the world, and we loved hearing his stories from Lebanon, Saudi Aramco, etc.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 26, 2020, 8:02 PM

Guessing maybe IRI (FIA) or Factory Mutual...although there are/were others as well. I had no idea this sort of engineering job even existed and I have also loved the travel (when younger) and variety of manufacturing I have gotten a chance to see over the years. Been in for 27 years now and still love it!

Mar 26, 2020, 8:48 PM

Yeah, he didn't know about it either....
after the aerospace industry crashed (50's?) he was scrambling for employment and lucked into the position.
He loved it and said being laid off from aerospace was the best thing that ever happened to him!
The company, then, was Continental. I still remember he had things with the Continental soldier logo.
He took a lot of pride in his work, and especially in his antique sprinkler head collection, ha!

A true Clemson man who would have loved this last decade of
Clemson football.

Mar 26, 2020, 4:32 PM [ in reply to Re: How is Covid-19 affecting YOU? ]

I got a call yesterday about a fire. I'll go out and write a report and tell them how to build it back. I do a couple fire inspections a year. About once a year or so I get the "a car ran into my building", again I tell them how to fix it. It that case it's the car insurance that pays.

Other things that I do insurance related are trees that fall on houses and hurricane damage.

It's only 1 or 2 percent of my business, but right now I'll take anything!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 26, 2020, 4:50 PM

I hear ya...anything that pays the bills! We don’t like that work ‘fire’ around here obviously.

Mar 26, 2020, 3:02 PM

Self employed, small business, for 18 years. Phone hasn’t been ringing for several weeks. Not sure I’d schedule any jobs in the foreseeable future if it were ringing. My butt is couch indentured from sitting on so often. No play from the women, because they may give me the virus.

Overall, I’d say things are great

For relaxing times, make it Suntory time

Mar 26, 2020, 3:04 PM

At first it wasn't too bad but now that our work has pretty much come to a halt and my wife's company sat them down to discuss unemployment reality is starting to sink in. The worst part for me personally was watching my daughter 2 weeks ago burst into tears upon the realization that she may have played her last softball game and then the thoughts of missing prom, cancelled graduation ceremony, etc. My son has been a trooper. He's taking on a new sport, golf, and made his HS team to only get to play one match, so far. The E-learning has been interesting for them here and there but they're taking it in stride. Just kills me seeing my daughter so sad. Hoping for the best.

Mar 26, 2020, 3:25 PM

Very quiet here in the Blue Ridge, as it normally is. I’m not a stay at home person and it has taken some “getting use to” for me to be house bound! I’m working harder now than I have in months and I have a clean home to prove it! As soon as it warms up a little more I’ll start on the yard. I’ll never finish that.

I’m not a tv guy so other than a few sports shows I’m not missing anything. Reading is a lot more fun than Fox News,

My wife and I , both recently retired

Mar 26, 2020, 3:22 PM

have used this time to do some thorough house cleaning an happened across an old

edition of Kama Sutra.

Now I have a slipped disc, a torn ACL, a high ankle sprain, a somewhat of a crick in my neck.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sorry you wound up in this

Mar 26, 2020, 3:33 PM

position

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Re: Sorry you wound up in this

Mar 26, 2020, 5:01 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

And worth every pain!***

Mar 27, 2020, 10:51 PM [ in reply to My wife and I , both recently retired ]

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Applying for small bidness disaster relief.

Mar 26, 2020, 3:30 PM

We have applied for the SBA emergency loans and will go for the Main Street loans for payroll. Hope I don't need them, but good to apply just in case.

It sucks but we are doing our best to adjust.

My biggest concern is the rest of the school year and the summer with the kids at home. They (and we) will lose their minds if they can't go to the beach, various camps, visit cousins, etc.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Applying for small bidness disaster relief.

Mar 26, 2020, 3:48 PM

APM, you’re a psychiatrist, right? I’d think business would be booming in these times. Whether in person or over the phone, no?

For relaxing times, make it Suntory time

I own an engineering company and a development company

Mar 26, 2020, 3:39 PM

engineering company has backlog and work is still coming in. It's all construction related. It's slowing down though.

I don't have a lot of rental property, but I do have a restaurant and a health facility that I don't expect rent from, and that hurts a lot.

Everyone at work is stressed of course. Everyone thinks that business owners should have this nice stockpile of money to keep paying people, but it doesn't work like that. It is really expensive to keep paying people that are not producing. Low interest loans to keep afloat are really not a good idea. Money can go really quickly, but it takes many years to pay back, in my business anyway.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I hear you, I own my own firm, we work mostly with

Mar 26, 2020, 3:47 PM

international companies that are expanding into the USA. As a result of the Chinese Virus every one of my clients has suspended their US expansion plans. The last of our clients held in there until President Trump issued the European travel ban and then that was it. If nothing happens be the end of April, which I don't expect it will...not sure what I'm going to do.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Doing well compared to many folks. Work in

Mar 26, 2020, 3:47 PM

schools so I am home almost all the time. Still get retirement check, social security, and VA disability so no money issues except for the extra money from jobs in 4 different school districts. But that is minor to what others deal with. Hoping for good weather for turkey season - not open yet in upstate but coming next week.

Retired March 1 ‘20. Missing NCAA b-ball is my biggest issue

Mar 26, 2020, 3:56 PM

And mildly grumpy about stock market. Overall pretty fortunate _ and recognize others have much more significant concerns. Wishing all impacted the best.

(And yes - family, friends and work associates have blamed my unemployment after 40+ years for this whole mess.)

I work at home designing custom homes.

Mar 26, 2020, 4:23 PM

I've had 2 clients slow up the process. Two others increased their budget because they can borrow more money at a phenomenal rate. But I can't say that the work load will continue. Wife is with health insurance. She (hopefully) will continue to work from home. oldest daughter is at home with newborn. Husband is essential at Duke Power. other daughter is nurse at Duke University Hospital. She's working her tail off but concerned.She's seeing positive results with Hydrochloroquine. The youngest daughter is at home from college. she is currently working on her tan and has picked up drawing.

I certainly hope the building boom isn't too affected. i can't take another 2008. (thanks a lot you big banks and your derivatives).

Re: I work at home designing custom homes.

Mar 26, 2020, 4:30 PM

Just trying to get a part time job at local groceries. Have to apply online for everything and I am an Analog type of guy. Retirement checks keep coming in but need extra to cover wife's medical bills. other than that, things semi-normal in Francis Marion National Forest.

I CAN'T BUY ANY DOO DOO PAPER***

Mar 26, 2020, 4:38 PM

Re: I CAN'T BUY ANY DOO DOO PAPER***

Mar 27, 2020, 5:41 AM

Try Dollar General or CVS...

Went to CVS the other day and bought a big 4 pack of Charmin...

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We are truly blessed and lucky so far.

Mar 26, 2020, 4:42 PM

Wife and I already worked from home. Just have to take "teacher" shifts for schoolwork. Trying to stay at home and only make trips for essentials (groceries and such). Wife has zero work impact so far. I've had to juggle some things around a little. I'm not driving to meetings across the state and going to courthouses anymore. So I lose driving time/mileage income. But work is still coming in and I've adjusted to do everything at home. Sending a lot of document requests to courthouses I would normally walk into and get at the counter.

Have stocked up on food and essentials, in the event we have to really stay in for a while. Neither parent has come down with this, thankfully. Work has actually increased since all my customers are also working from home now. Just called a law firm and the "operator" had a baby crying. Same with attorneys I talk with. We're just doing what we can.

We each try and spend time outside with the kids playing at least an hour each a day. Enjoying grilling and eating at home although the kids and wife hate it.

Oh, and this weekend we clean the house. We are still paying our housekeeper, although she isn't coming for a while. Also have stocked up on carry out orders from local businesses. Some places have take-out oven dishes pre-made that are awesome. Freezer is stocked with them.

Oldest missed his Cub Scout graduation, will miss his 5th grade graduation as well. Piano lessons continue for him online via video chat with the teacher. Karate is off for our 4yo. 2yo is out of preschool. Everyone wants to go to the zoo. We had to cancel a trip to Great Wolf Lodge.
Neighborhood playground and pool are closed too. But on weekends we can go up to the woods and cabin and have fun outdoors. I wish they would maybe start deer season (buck only) a little earlier. Turkey season should be fun too.

Church is off limits now, but we watch online. Kids keep in touch with their friends on zoom and google chats.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

As far your kid's 5rh grade "graduation", that's something

Mar 26, 2020, 8:01 PM

that ought to be banned anyway! Along with middle school "graduation"! Until you at least graduate from high school, you haven't graduated from anything!!

Congratulations with your success versus

Mar 26, 2020, 4:51 PM

lymphoma, which is really great news.

Although supposedly retired, I returned to work parttime, helping a close friend with his business.

Our area is not on a stay-at-home order yet, and though the business has been a little slower, it is faring decently. If placed under an order, I'll return to the lake and tackle typical spring chores and enjoy the water. And, yes, after things normalize, I'll return to work, as I got bored with retirement about a month after trying it. Call me a workaholic. lol

You're a workaholic***

Mar 26, 2020, 4:55 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

I didn't mean literally, but thanks anyway!***

Mar 27, 2020, 5:09 AM

The Class of '69 is different!

Mar 26, 2020, 8:45 PM [ in reply to Congratulations with your success versus ]

I discovered quickly that retirement is too boring and this virus has confirmed what I already knew. One more week until turkey season so I should be entertained a little more.

Mar 26, 2020, 5:05 PM

I'm an engineering manager with a small company that does essential work for the government and power stations. We are booked through the year. We design and build our equipment and can't ship anything but we are still getting paid. Most of our customers are working from home or closed but we can't build things at home. We are practicing social distancing in the office and it doesn't change my day much because I have tried to practice it for years. The wife teaches which is now online, daughter in college and another in high school are both going to school online. Daughters sophomore soccer season is gone and I really feel sorry for the college and high school seniors, but it could be worse. We did find TP last week so we're OK there and have plenty of food. We are trying to be careful but my biggest fear is bringing the virus home. We are very fortunate but I see people with jobs and retirements in shambles. It is a very surreal and sad time.

"Heavyweight fights have their ring walks. CFB has Clemson's grandest entrance in sports."
Chris Fowler

Mar 26, 2020, 5:24 PM

In one of the essential industries so we are wide open busy, hiring as fast as we can and trying to stay uninfected. Only real personal impact was that we have postponed scheduling a June trip overseas and may just head to Hilton Head instead. It'll just depend on how long this goes on.

Mar 26, 2020, 6:02 PM

In IT and 80% of our work is within the health care systems in the state. Have been working 7 days a week for 3 weeks now. Its a little scary but needed. Ready to see the rate of cases start dropping.

I am a doctor who specializes in placing breathing tubes

Mar 26, 2020, 9:33 PM

We don’t have enough Protective masks and face shields to reasonably stay safe, and it is very frustrating. I am thankful that I have a steady job though as many others are hurting

Mar 26, 2020, 9:42 PM

I’m a PT at KershawHealth in Camden SC. Ground zero in SC for the Coronavirus. My co-workers and I are working with coronavirus patients daily. We’ve all been exposed, but to date, no one has converted to positive. I work with an incredible group of Drs and nurses who are putting it on the line day in and day out to care for those patients that are positive. I’ve never experienced anything like this in 24 years. But this is what we do, this is what we signed up for. #AllIn

Mar 27, 2020, 5:42 AM

Thank you for putting it all on the line ??

And thank you for responding to this post ??

Mar 26, 2020, 11:09 PM

I own a manufacturer's rep business with one employee..moi. I have an office at home so noting unusual about staying home. I only handle a few clients anymore mostly because I really enjoy it. My wife is a retired fire inspector and did disaster relief for Red Cross for a lot of years as a volunteer, so we are always prepared for potential disasters. When the word on COVID-19 came out she suggested and I agreed we set up our hurricane prep closet early this year. We've tried to support local businesses as best we can through various means from buying gift cards to paying double for take out meals to give them a bit more income. I have some symptoms that showed up so am now moved upstairs until we can tell if it's real or Memorex and Monday's my 74th birthday.

Mar 26, 2020, 11:16 PM

I had to cut a trip short in San Diego and cancel a trip to Chicago. That means nothing to me though.

I have a good friend and coworker (in excellent health) who is 50 years old that almost died. I have another friend who lives in Germany in his mid 30s who is very sick.

This thing is not joke and it’s not just killing the elderly.

Stay safe my friends.

Mar 27, 2020, 5:50 AM

Those trips will have an even greater payoff if your have to postpone .. great post ??

I’m unemployed in Los Angeles..The entertainment industry is shutdown and adhering to the CA lockdown timeline, which is indefinite. The Government has indicated approximately 2 months.

Making the best of it ... Deep Spring Cleaning, lots of exercise, and lots of projects I’ve been putting off..

I want to return to South Carolina but don’t want to risk transmission either .. Pretty bummed since my entire family is in The Carolinas.

Those trips will have an even greater payoff if your have to postpone .. great post ??

I’m unemployed in Los Angeles..The entertainment industry is shutdown and adhering to the CA lockdown timeline, which is indefinite. The Government has indicated approximately 2 months.

Making the best of it ... Deep Spring Cleaning, lots of exercise, and lots of projects I’ve been putting off..

I want to return to South Carolina but don’t want to risk transmission either .. Pretty bummed since my entire family is in The Carolinas.

can’t believe I did that ?? sorry***

Mar 27, 2020, 5:51 AM

Are you Chadwick Boseman??!!***

Mar 27, 2020, 5:57 AM [ in reply to Re: How is Covid-19 affecting YOU? ]

I work for a large company and have been working from home

Mar 27, 2020, 5:55 AM

for a week. We have a major facility in Beijing, so it was interesting hearing about this in the early stages. (I remember thinking there was no way the US would be locked down like China.) My county starts complete "stay at home" today (3/27).

I think my job is fairly secure if they start laying off (of course I'm sure we all think that).

My family went skiing in CO in early March - they closed the resorts a week after we left.

I'm getting fat with no gym to go to. I can't seem to make myself improvise a work-out at home (yet).

Good news: My son is home from college and his grades are getting much better with his (retired) Mom here to force him to concentrate on his school work...

Mar 27, 2020, 10:33 AM

Just found out my job ends April 30th. I work in the airline industry and my carrier is closing the station where I live.

I am praying more***

Mar 27, 2020, 11:04 AM

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

not too much

Mar 27, 2020, 4:54 PM

I work for a company that makes cleaning supplies and masks and whatnot. so Im "essential." still getting up to go to work at the same time and come home at the same time. luckily I live in a smaller town and the stores haven't been hit as hard, so ive been lucky and got bread and TP. Now my gf on the other hand is a teacher and has to work from home, which is something she has never done before. she is a little overwhelmed, but I think she will be ok once she gets used to her new normal (for the time being)

i am a self-employed engineering consultant. i still have a

Mar 27, 2020, 8:39 PM

full workload, the problem is not many of my clients a re paying me right now. the individuals just aren't letting go of money for fear of not having any or being laid off. the corporate clients have sent a lot of their staff home including financial.

Mar 27, 2020, 9:26 PM

Have been retired since 2007 so used to some downtime. Can't do weekly volunteering at the local library, but am the treasurer for the library support group so can work on improving, consolidating and digitizing financial and certain historical records at home. Thankfully can still golf although the frequent wet weather has made it more hit and miss. Also can't workout at the Y. Need to begin working on household clutter. Thankful to still be healthy and hope everyone here can be so.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the only good politician is a dead politician.

Mar 27, 2020, 10:00 PM

I'm staying at home more and only leaving for necessary trips. Being on the farm, l'm used to working by myself most of the time and now I miss the BS'ing with everyone at the feed store or other stops along the way. Now it's get in and out.

Staying in touch with my family in Illinois. They have been under a shelter in place order for a week now. Mostly, I worry about my daughter who's a Respiratory Therapist just south of Chicago and has been treating COVID-19 patients. I'm afraid they will be inundated with overflow from Chicago soon,
further increasing her risk.

Mar 28, 2020, 9:44 AM

I am working from home, still have a job for now

The huge thing for me is not being able to see my father who is in a nursing home. The nursing home was locked down in early feb and only nurses can go in or out.

It is very hard to get updates on him and I truly worry because he is non verbal and mostly paralyzed from a bad stoke. I worry that a nurse sharing shifts at the hospital may bring it back and we may never see him again. We can’t even go to the window and wave because his window faces the inner part. Imagine the facility as a big square and some have windows facing the outside and some face an inner court.

I also have another relative in an assisted living facility, but I can still talk to her and see how she is doing.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 28, 2020, 10:00 AM

Riding around in the truck, but not getting out. Great to see the farmers are planting corn. Life goes on 'til it don't.

Replies: 61
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic