Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Random Winsdey tiger footbaw thought by TRDJ
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 697

Random Winsdey tiger footbaw thought by TRDJ

Jan 6, 2021, 9:42 AM

You know how Dabo likes to "build depth" and play guys and quote stats on guys playing and travel with guys and all that stuff? It's the concept that gets the shiddy coaches kids ('cept Jake V, he seems at minimum serviceable) on the field and the golden boy Rencher carries and stupid willy swinney snaps before halftime. It's also the concept that kept ETN for running for 72,000 career yards and has IMO single handedly cost us 2 Heistman trophies (just wanted to throw that in there, DGAsingleF about no Heisman).

Ok. I'd say at this point we are the gold standard in CFB. I'd also say that Bammer is the Platinum standard. Or Diamond standard. Let's stick with Hilton Honors lingo and just go with Diamond.

So like, we are in good shape and all...but we ain't bammer. We were for a minute, but we ain't no more. And prolly never really were short of a couple of Natty games. We all in agreement here? If not, GFY.

Maybe we need to stop with all these GD raindeer games. F'em. Play the best all the time. Run some guys that can play in there for depth building, breathers, etc. Works for bammer, no? I mean lets keep the coaches kids involved, we need snitches and do gooders and future insurance guys in the group. It's probably good for the "culture". If we are looking to take the final step forward, I'd say we need to do something...and it's a small something....but something a little different. Until then, we are waiting on Nick Saban to leave and he looks like he's got another 10 years in him. And to top it off Starks got ejected. The end, thanks for glistening, get well soon Dr Dre, go tigers, post tiddies, and shut up fbcoach.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not much triggers me like seeing #22 running the jet sweep

Jan 6, 2021, 9:50 AM

for a 1 yd gain. Nothing. I wish Dabo would re-evaluate some things about the program, but he probably won't.

I am a bit suprised at the backlash from some folk. I know we all want to Best is the standard at hut-hut.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There is a place for 22 sweep AND best is standard.

Jan 6, 2021, 10:01 AM

That place is at his house while the tigers are playing. With some development, he'd make a solid backup to Kathleen running the sweeper at the Swinney house.

I get where you're coming from, BUT

Jan 6, 2021, 10:03 AM

if everybody could copy Alabama's formula successfully, then there would be 130 undefeated teams in FBS. Unfortunately, NOBODY recruits and develops like Alabama does (it pains me to say) even though we are very close. Also, I never seem to see people question our methods until we run up on a game like we just had. It's football, it happens. It happened to Alabama against us, and there was the same backlash of questioning their program until the next season started. My actual worry is Dabo staying ahead of the curve on using the transfer portal, because THAT my friend is going to change the game more than any other thing. It is far better to develop players over the long haul in your system, but sometimes you have to see the weakness and take the opportunity to address it quickly.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Solid commentary, and agreed that at least from a 4-5 star

Jan 6, 2021, 10:15 AM

recruiting standpoint bammer is WAAAY out in front.

That said, I still struggle with things like Rencher getting carries over oh say ANYONE, let alone Lyn J. Wilburt Swinney getting reps in the 2nd quarter and IDGAF if we are playing Brookland-Cayce HS. Stuff like that.

DO develop depth, DO spend time on charity...just make it for breast cancer and not for players that ain't NEVER gonna play at a championship level.

And there lies the rub.

Jan 6, 2021, 10:37 AM

Dabo tells guys when recruiting that if they put the work in, they'll play. That's a strong recruiting tool and it has shown some benefit. Those little advantages add up, especially when we're talking about development projects, preferred walk-ons, etc. Those guys could go play at a smaller program, but they come to Clemson, and it gives us better competition at practice. Those philosophies are we keep us on par with the recruiting juggernauts of college football. In all honesty, it probably does keep us from winning vanity trophies like the Heisman, but I'll take best team over best player any day of the week. Let's face it...on paper, there's no way we should be more successful over the long haul versus a program like Georgia, but we are. Maybe we do give too many snaps to coaches kids, but I do have to believe that helps us keep Brent Venables on board, so I'm OK with it if it isn't costing us games.

I'm not sure the transfer portal has a...

Jan 6, 2021, 11:08 AM [ in reply to I get where you're coming from, BUT ]

bad character filter. Imo, character of the player is more important that talent. I don't want to turn into a LSU, FSU or Bama either. I'm do not want to see Clemson sacrifice the soul of Clemson for a few football games over a few years.

I can see taking graduates who intend on furthering their education but thinking the grass is greener on Clemson's field than the one they chose to play on a year or so ago says something about their integrity.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I completely agree about the character aspect, but there are

Jan 6, 2021, 11:21 AM

a number of kids in the transfer portal that are just looking for playing time. It's not always about running away from issues that are going to follow wherever you go, but our staff does a pretty good job of sussing those out. The last player I can remember actually be glad we missed on was Robert Nkemdiche. I'm not advocating we rely on the portal, but rather know how and when to use it to our advantage. Right now, there are a lot of schools that are using it to try and keep programs afloat, and that's a recipe for disaster.

Re: Random Winsdey tiger footbaw thought by TRDJ

Jan 6, 2021, 10:10 AM

Our program doesn't have the business mentality and killer instinct of Alabama and Nick Saban. Our team makes "thriller" videos during game weeks. We try to be the "fun" program, where coaches' kids get to pretend to be starting linebackers, while we have straight up dudes like Trenton Simpson, Lavonta Bentley sitting on the bench behind Jake Venables and Baylon Spector.

The other serious problem with our program compared to our competition of the elite (OSU, Bama, UGA) is our miss-rate on recruiting and lack of development of our offensive line.

I've said it before, but we are really really really good. Among the top 5 in the country every year. If that's where we want to be, and win ACC titles in blowouts then lose in the playoff every year, great. That's fine. But to be the king of the hill again, we need to bow up.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The OL situation is a head scratcher fo sho.

Jan 6, 2021, 10:16 AM

Maybe all these cats coming in can help turn the worm on that but it's gonna take a few years to play out.

Re: The OL situation is a head scratcher fo sho.

Jan 6, 2021, 11:38 AM

I thought getting Carmen would start to turn that worm, but guess not.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I just don't buy this idea...

Jan 6, 2021, 11:46 AM [ in reply to Re: Random Winsdey tiger footbaw thought by TRDJ ]

that we are playing inferior players just to feel good. If Simpson had a full grasp of the defense and was doing his part in the scheme in practice, there is no way they put him behind an inferior player on the depth chart.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

In the words of noted football guru Arthur Fonzarelli...

Jan 6, 2021, 12:03 PM

"Exactammundo, Cunningham"

If this is an application for Head Coaching Job...

Jan 6, 2021, 10:13 AM

you might want to cover your qualifications a little better.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It is in fact not an application.

Jan 6, 2021, 10:17 AM

Although my qualifications would make the hottest of all wimmens moist. One day I may share them with you, but you gotta start tiddie posting real quick and often.

I think ya'll are looking too deep. Bama didn't make the CFP

Jan 6, 2021, 10:25 AM

last year, and last time they played for it they got their faces beat in.

I think we just need for CVB to evolve his defense a bit and find some improvement on the O-Line.

Plus, to win the natty we need luck with injuries, penalties, turnovers etc. We haven't had that the last two years. We just need to stay in that mix so when it's our year, it's our year.

He said he wanted to compete with the bamas and lsus

Jan 6, 2021, 10:32 AM

and have a chance. We've had a chance at it 6 years in a row and won two of them.

I would say what more can you ask for but.........

I guess some people just want it back to Tommy Bowden years.

Dang close to 3 titles. Didn't we play without Shaq, M Alexander, and was it Cain in the first one.

Didn't we play this whole season without 3 of our top WR targets?

I still say if M Alexander didn't go out of that game in '15

Jan 6, 2021, 10:35 AM

We win that game.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg2006_ncaa_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Is he the guy that would have tackled OJ Howard

Jan 6, 2021, 10:39 AM

at least 1 time? If so, I agree.

Correct - and look at OSU.

Jan 6, 2021, 10:34 AM [ in reply to I think ya'll are looking too deep. Bama didn't make the CFP ]

They haven't been to the big game since 2014. But Day has taken their recruiting up a level recently. I also think the NFL will come calling for Day in the very short term.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg2006_ncaa_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good points, but we can all agree bammer is ahead of us.

Jan 6, 2021, 10:52 AM [ in reply to I think ya'll are looking too deep. Bama didn't make the CFP ]

Ahead right now, and generally ahead over the past 10 or so years. And look: We are close. We just aren't there yet.

Bammer
08 finished #6
09 champs
10 finished #10
11 champs
12 champs
13 finished #8 after sugar bowl loss (went in ranked 3rd)
14 4 seed lost in semis
15 champs
16 lost in natty
17 champs
18 lost in natty
19 no cfp, finished #8
20 playing in natty

13 years, 5 nattys and playing for a 6th in a few days. 2 natty losses. THAT'S 8 APPEARANCES IN THE FINAL IN 13 YEARS. No finish outside of the top 10.

I refuse the BCS records.

Jan 6, 2021, 11:20 AM

The BCS was based on biased preseason polls and we saw sacrificial lambs offered up to the winner of the SEC year after year. ESPiN pushed the SEC into the spotlight when they contracted with the SEC to form a new network. The conspiracy including those two should have been illegal.

I'm older than dirt but I don't forget and won't forget how the SEC became the gold standard. ESPiN had every kid in the nation thinking that if they intended on playing on Sunday they had to consider an SEC offer to be their next step.

I can't believe people are forgetting how much talent flooded into Bama during those years.

I didn't scout OSU.

Jan 6, 2021, 11:00 AM [ in reply to I think ya'll are looking too deep. Bama didn't make the CFP ]

Perhaps having only five regular season games littered with vacations and OSU being extremely more talented than their half baked conference didn't give Venables the whole story on OSU's offense or allow our OC to look for weaknesses in the OSU's defense.

Maybe OSU didn't play enough games to reveal who they were. When I said this is going to be a effed up season I really didn't understand just how effed up it would be.

I don't look back and consider this a legitimate football season. Actually, this may be my last look back. I think it's time to look forward to a 'normal,' football season and forget this anomaly.

as long as Dabo is in charge

Jan 6, 2021, 10:43 AM

this is what we got which I love

it has worked so well that we have 2 recent natties, been to the playoff 6 years running, and whipped bammer last time we played them

stay the way you are Dabo

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

As far as ETN, and any running back really.

Jan 6, 2021, 10:54 AM

I admire a coaching staff not running them into the ground. Is good to care about true NFL player's futures.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

With maybe the notable exception of LSU last year.***

Jan 6, 2021, 11:00 AM

And we should've kept feeding Merriweather

Jan 6, 2021, 11:31 AM

I'll take that to my grave.

lol

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 26
| visibility 697
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic