Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Dabo is evolving with a transfer portal evaluator
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 29
| visibility 6,113

Dabo is evolving with a transfer portal evaluator

Jan 15, 2021, 4:48 PM

a most have now

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Dabo is evolving with a transfer portal evaluator

Jan 15, 2021, 4:50 PM

But I am SKEEERED...I've been told fo soooooooooooo many years...that the Transfer Portal is the DEVIL Bobby Bouchet...and CHANGE IS BAD! Why can't we just go back to running the Wing-T????

LOL

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 15, 2021, 4:54 PM

This is fantastic news! Now let's go out and get some safties and O Linemen.

Jan 16, 2021, 8:21 AM

Agreed. Let's get Wants Morris. He's in the portal, leaving Tennessee.

Immediate impact player at LT. 2 years of SEC experience and at least 2 years of eligibility left.

Henry Too'too, Tennessee linebacker may be in the portal, too. Freak athlete.

"Wanya" Morris.

Jan 16, 2021, 9:23 AM

Hate autocorrect

Apparently Texas A&M in the drivers seat

Jan 16, 2021, 9:49 AM [ in reply to Re: Dabo is evolving with a transfer portal evaluator ]

We weren’t in his 3 (okla, A&M, Real USC) but maybe we reach out to him now with this change in mentality? Who knows?!?!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How long before we have a Player Brand Coordinator?***

Jan 15, 2021, 4:56 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 15, 2021, 5:06 PM

I thought Dabo did that when he took the QB who transferred from either
Ole Miss or Miss St. that went to High School with Kmdiecke.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 15, 2021, 5:20 PM

He came as a walk on.

Jan 15, 2021, 10:37 PM

He was still a transfer. And the QB from Stanford a few years back was a grad transfer.

Jan 16, 2021, 9:40 AM

I think they both came as walk ons and that is Dabo's policy. Transfer as a walk on and earn a scholly.

Jan 18, 2021, 11:55 PM

First of all a policy means something written in stone. I’m pretty sure Dabo doesn’t have a policy about these things he does have a preference. Second, just because someone goes through the portal doesn’t mean they’re getting a scholarship. Even if you’re a walk on if you transfer from one school to another you still have to go through the portal. At least I think you need to. I could be wrong. You were supposed to get a waiver but the NCAA has been given those out like candy. So as of right now there are no evidently hard and fast rules when it comes to the portal, which is a big part of the problem. When those two guys transferred there was no portal.

Message was edited by: Lowcntry_Tiger®

maybe this will fix the problems with our program!

Jan 15, 2021, 5:46 PM

The last 6 years have been terrible!!

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

and lost the las2 playoff games to teams with transfer QBs -

Jan 15, 2021, 8:41 PM

sometimes you just have get over being stubborn on certain things. Others are doing it to their advantage and beating us because of it.

yep the recruting game is changeing

Jan 15, 2021, 9:57 PM

now there is a free agency period time to get with the times or get left behind

Re: and lost the las2 playoff games to teams with transfer QBs -

Jan 16, 2021, 9:45 AM [ in reply to and lost the las2 playoff games to teams with transfer QBs - ]

Last time I checked we didn't need a quarterback. Don't look for any huge changes. I will be surprised if Dabo uses it like most. Character is still going to be a major concern, and players trying to leave a university because they aren't playing enough doesn't show much character.

well no we dont

Jan 16, 2021, 11:06 AM

but have you seen our offensive line play lately? and dont tell me that we need to go out and recruit better. jackson carmen was a 5 star and never improved in his time at clemson. but at the same time I think that speaks to coaching as well....

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: and lost the las2 playoff games to teams with transfer QBs -

Jan 16, 2021, 7:33 PM [ in reply to Re: and lost the las2 playoff games to teams with transfer QBs - ]

I don’t buy this. Why should a player that transfers due to lack playing time be looked down upon as having bad character? I do not believe to things to be mutually exclusive.

No we haven’t but they did. And we have weak spots.

Jan 18, 2021, 11:50 PM [ in reply to Re: and lost the las2 playoff games to teams with transfer QBs - ]

Evolve or die.

Jan 15, 2021, 5:50 PM

Does Bama have a portal evaluator?

no idea, but the have about every recent P5 HC that was

Jan 15, 2021, 8:43 PM

fired on their staff

I’ll Take It

Jan 15, 2021, 9:14 PM

For the last 6 years Clemson completed it’s regular season schedule, won its conference Championship and then had a chance to compete for the National Championship. Every. Single. Year. Since Clemson is the only school in the country that can make that claim, I’m gonna skip the “woe is me” stuff.

I really don’t think that anyone but Dabo, ever dreamed we could be here. I literally would not trade Dabo for any 10 other Coaches you could name.....living or dead.

Re: I’ll Take It

Jan 16, 2021, 10:24 AM

I wouldn’t trade Coach Swinney for anything either but we’ve got a huge problem on the OL in terms of talent and depth and he knows it. The quickest fix is the transfer portal...there is no shame in that.

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

Jan 16, 2021, 8:38 AM [ in reply to Re: Dabo is evolving with a transfer portal evaluator ]

Bama cherry picks transfers. Landon Dickerson, starting center and many folks who supposedly know say he was their best OL, is a transfer from FSU.

Side Note: Dickerson posted a video (short clip) showing a group of FSU players practicing their dancing during practice (Willie Taggart's first year) and said, "This is no way to win a championship."

A few years ago he also got a QB, Coker, as a transfer from FSU.

excuse to usher pearman away from players

Jan 15, 2021, 10:11 PM

had to do it

Re: excuse to usher pearman away from players

Jan 15, 2021, 10:43 PM

I think it’s easy to think that but I don’t think that was the case. Actually because of our culture if you notice a large percentage of our black players come from two parent homes and families that have parents in the military. I would be willing to bet there was quite the differences of opinion among our players this past year with some of the social events. Yes. They all came together and they supported each other. But I would be willing to bet that there were more than a few black players on our team that have parents in the military that have parents that voted for Trump that have families that feel the destruction of the nuclear family and defunding the police is asinine and crazy!

I get the Position. But,

Jan 15, 2021, 10:48 PM

To me in a perfect world, "Coach Swinney's philosophy is what I would go with 100%"! But, this isn't a perfect world.
In this world - you mis-evaluate a players ceiling and if you mis-evaluate over multiple recruiting cycles at a particular position - you start looking "vulnerable"! Where had some of those prospects played out like the initial evaluation thought it would; "you would be sitting pretty and exactly what you want in a player"!

It seems every year players who could return to play - even some who could play significant minutes - choose to leave! In the event that happens, I see nothing wrong with bringing in a kid who has represented himself and his university well who could help the football team.

I know opponents of it hate the fact - kids who were recruited and who may have been waiting in the wings won't get their shot! I hate it too. But, I see it like this! If you are better you will still "START"! If you are better and know the plays better, "YOU STILL START AND PLAY MORE"! Kids who were brought up by Clemson "should have an advantage, right"? That's how I see it anyway.

Our current string of success was built on many factors! One of those pillars Dabo built the program on was: "Competitive Depth"!
Without competitive depth - how do you really make a starter better? That starter knows they are the best thing for the position and can slack off- because the team needs them. With competitive depth - you don't have to worry too much about that mindset - b/c the pine awaits. The Bench. A reserve role. Less playing time or no playing time. Because the team has someone just as good who helps the team win.
T. Feaster left in part because he thought - "I served my time and deserve"! Stop right there. This team as I said was built on competitive depth and putting players on the field who could "best help the team win"! TF did nothing to hurt the team - but TE9 did an even better job of catapulting the team toward victory! An OL who is good and serviceable -- "is good" -- but what if you had an OL who was dominant? Who you taking?

And when you miss on prospects that's exactly what you might end up with. Kids with high star ratings who had reached their ceiling as a football player. Or kids who were maybe given too much of a curve when being graded. OL is particularly hard to evaluate.
But, 5 star kids are going to likely be at least one thing, big and powerful. If they don't have great technique or aren't motivated - that's another thing. But, you have to at some point have big powerful and athletic OL to run our offense. Especially since tempo is becoming less and less of something we use to neutralize the opposing DL.

If a kid has been at say: Georgia Southern and was a 3 star recruit but is now a beast of an OL because "a college weight program made him awesome" why not have him here. Georgia Southern would be upset or not - because they can tell the next recruit we get kids ready for the big league. LOL! Any transfer of course, "is just brought in like any other player"! You are given an opportunity not a job! If you are the best option then you will play the most; if not someone else will. The best option on the team.

The transfer portal might make the "slips in evaluations" a lot easier to take now! Though you wouldn't want too many kids at a position or players position you recruited. It would be a sure sign you are not doing a good evaluation and projection of the players potential.

L.S.S - I see it as a good thing! The way transfer rules are going to be relaxed it may be a necessity. Back in early October between football, I was watching a womens soccer match between Boston College and Duke(know someone on Duke). In that game, the announcers talked about transfers from program to program. Football and Basketball seems the only two that are a big deal to the NCAA. Swimming and Diving apparently see's it's fair share of transfers. Same as track and field.

I like the move of hiring someone; because you want to be careful still with who you bring in!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

exactly

Jan 16, 2021, 11:18 AM

ive been telling my friends this for years. there are tons of guys from smaller schools who werent highly recruited, that turned out to be studs. we need to target those guys.

imo the guys that transfer from power 5 schools were probably sought after, and thought they were going to get by on pure talent alone. but there is always someone BIGGER, FASTER, AND STRONGER than you. that is what I wish these kids would get told when they are in high school. so many players have been told their whole life they are the greatest football player ever, then when they get to college reality slaps them right in the face.

But I get there are extenuating circumstances that makes a kid leave a certain school. maybe they get homesick and want to play closer to home. Or maybe they battled injuries and lost their job. It sucks but it happens, ask willy korn. I think everyone immediately assumes that transfers are bad eggs that got kicked out of their school or got in trouble in some form. There is nothing wrong with realizing you made a mistake at SEVENTEEN YEARS OLD!!! I actually think it shows maturity

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Transfer Rules - Changed The Game

Jan 16, 2021, 11:19 AM

MJ, Kobe, LBJ, Kareem, Bird, Magic, Harden are the best players I think I ever had the privilege's of seeing play. But, even they miss sometimes!

I think we missed on some OL prospects! OR maybe some upper classmen who should have developed by their 3rd year on campus never did or something. But, "it happens and it's not an indictment"! You can't win a National Title every year! But, with the skill players and OC and DC we have and respect our program has gained: "we should be in serious contention every year"!

The transfer portal has taken players. Why would we as a program not want to replace quality depth? Especially if they feel the kid that they are bringing in is a good quality person and will be a good fit to the culture that has been established? Why not; if you find yourself short because of that very same portal?

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 16, 2021, 4:25 PM

Did we take a transfer?

Replies: 29
| visibility 6,113
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic