Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Ohio State = Miami
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 1

Ohio State = Miami

Dec 21, 2020, 9:56 AM

Searching our schedule as to who I would compare Ohio State to...

It’s Miami ...

Statistically speaking they are very similar in two key categories...

Passing Efficiency Defense
Passing Offense

To be clear .. Ohio State has a better run game ...

But those two stats tell me a few things ...

Trevor Lawrence should be able to pick his spots...

Ohio State is one dimensional offensively and Brent Venables will scheme to make them more so...

Don’t be shocked to see a similar score...

For anyone who forgot we beat Miami
42-17...

Expect Clemson to jump on Ohio State early in the passing game ... including throws to ETN..

This will -

- Open up our rushing game
- Allow Venables to really dial it up on Fields once we have a nice lead ...

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Ohio State = Miami

Dec 21, 2020, 10:02 AM

I would at least give (a healthy) Justin Fields a better/more accurate arm than King.

Still, when you said Ohio State is Miami, I thought it was like the last 10+ years when they would storm out undefeated for about 6 games, get hyped, and then dismantled (often by Dabo).

I say there are just to many unknowns about 31-0. In statistics, when the same size is not large enough, you have to step back and acknowledge the unknown. 31-0 is an unknown. We knew that AMM is a good but second choice in the SEC. We know that Cincy is a good team. We know that Coastal is good. We can't say a lot other than 31-0 has not played two full halves well (1st vs NW and 2nd vs IU).

Yes, Which Justin Fields that shows up will be the key.***

Dec 21, 2020, 10:07 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Yes, Which Justin Fields that shows up will be the key.***

Dec 21, 2020, 10:24 AM

Fields play, both this season and last, seems to be defined by the quality of his defensive opponent. He's a world beater with teams that do not show a pulse.

Clemson has a pulse.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Yes, Which Justin Fields that shows up will be the key.***

Dec 21, 2020, 10:42 AM

Well, that is interesting. And true.

JF's QBR is 174.5 and 72.6% completion for the season. VS "top 25 (as I think PedState counted towards that list) he drops to 142.1 QBR, 63.7% and notches ALL 5 INTS in those games.

King QBR drops from 151.8 to 131.9. Completion rates drop from 63.6% to 54.5%. Only 3 of his 5 INT were against top 25 teams.

TL's QBR drops from 172.7 to 155.9 but completion rates GO UP from 69.2 to 70.1. Only one INT (vs ND) not recorded.

Dec 21, 2020, 10:07 AM [ in reply to Re: Ohio State = Miami ]

Fair point ...

But I’m looking at this season alone ...

I understand the inclination to give Fields the benefit of the doubt based on previous years ...

But even in an abbreviated season ..

He’s thrown as many int’s as King ...

He’s been unimpressive..

Dec 21, 2020, 10:11 AM

In a broader sense .. as alluded above ..it’s also a fair comparison..

Trash talking, undisciplined...overrated...

Dec 21, 2020, 10:11 AM [ in reply to Re: Ohio State = Miami ]

In a broader sense .. as alluded above ..it’s also a fair comparison..

Trash talking, undisciplined...overrated...

Dec 21, 2020, 10:32 AM [ in reply to Re: Ohio State = Miami ]

I wonder if last season was his high-point and Fields has stopped evolving. Not saying he has regressed but definitely isn't playing a lot better. Competition % has tanked as the season went on, INTS are up. I wonder if DC just have had some time to work out his weaknesses - or other injury.

5 Ints in 6 is significant. He is looking at at least a pace of 10-12ints for the season. As "bad" as that is compared to TL, he is about the same as Deshaun Watson TD/INT (3:1)... while being slightly more accurate (slightly). Jawja will give anything to have a QB again.

His rating is down from last year but his YPC is the same. I would say his competition is a bit worse this year so playing run-gun with broken b10 coverage. Not a ton of data to pull from but his 3rd down efficiency is down - (like all QBs) but while he is more effective on 2nd down than TL, TL is a lot more effective on 3rd - especially 3rds and 8+. Interesting note, most of JF's TDs are when he
JF's rushing TD are mostly on 1/2nd downs, TLs is on 2/3rd down. Just an odd stat that jumped out at me.

and as someone else posted ocryostate will be playing

Dec 21, 2020, 10:10 AM

sloppy like the thugs from miami

Dec 21, 2020, 10:30 AM

The difference is that OSU has much better talent all over the field compared to Miami.

Fields is better even in what has been a down year for him so far.

OSU's WRs are far and away better than Miami's which is what killed Miami against us.

OSU's RB is better than Miami's by a good bit as well.

Also OSU's defense while not performing at their highest level at the moment is much much better than Miami's.

I don't expect a runaway game and I don't expect to see that same OSU team we have seen for the first 6 games.

They have been able to see on film that every team they were playing was bad which makes it tough to come in a play extremely sharp for a full game.

That won't be the case for the semifinal game.

Dec 21, 2020, 10:50 AM

OSU doesn’t have the secondary they had last season...

I believe two of their corners were taken in the first round...

They have two choices on pass defense ..play soft and let Trevor pick them apart underneath...or try to bump our guys in tight man... Play Amari and this year Cornell that way at your own peril...EJ Williams is maturing at the right time as well...

They cannot defend our passing attack ...

Miami isn’t OSU talent wise..but they aren’t Wake Forest either... they’ve recruited pretty well..

As far as Fields ...I agree he may have topped out last season...and could be playing hurt this year ...has anyone here ever sprained a thumb? I have ...It sucks and won’t heal up in ten days... it’s his throwing hand ...so they can’t just numb him up either... I don’t expect Fields to be at 100%...

OSU wants this revenge game ....but they are NOT the team they had last year...

No Ohio state is not as good as they were last

Dec 21, 2020, 11:01 AM

year. That's why there's been about a TD swing in the betting line from last year to this year. Ohio State isnt 3 TDs worse than last year though, which is what you seem to be implying by comparing them to Miami.

Clemson absolutely demolished Miami. The game was only 42-17 because Miami blocked every FG attempt and ran one back for a TD. Without ST gaffes that game finishes at least 45-10. To compare Ohio State to that is.. something.

Re: No Ohio state is not as good as they were last

Dec 21, 2020, 11:14 AM

I’m talking about what Ohio State has actually done this season versus what Miami has actually done this season..,

Ohio State has a great “brand”... that’s why they’re in the CFP...

Nothing they’ve shown on the field proves they are a top 4 team....

Dec 21, 2020, 11:03 AM [ in reply to Re: Ohio State = Miami ]

Both teams are different.

They aren't trotting out 2 1st round corners and we aren't trotting out Higgins and Ross.

We will find out in a couple of weeks which of those is a smaller drop-off.

I feel confident in what Clemson is bringing to the game, but I don't have any idea what type of team OSU will show up with in their first game against a high level team all season.

Go Watch Northwestern Game....Anything Similar to That

Dec 21, 2020, 10:53 AM [ in reply to Re: Ohio State = Miami ]

Team would get crushed by CU.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Go Watch Northwestern Game....Anything Similar to That

Dec 21, 2020, 11:01 AM

OSU was missing 22 players for that game.

I know 1 of the missing players was their best WR.

I have no clue who the rest of the players were, but we could see a very different team on the field that what Northwestern saw.

OSU is no forthcoming with anything related to COVID so who knows who will return and who will still be out or any of that stuff with them.

My expectation is that we will get their best effort of the season by far.

Right. This is akin to Ohio State fans watching

Dec 21, 2020, 11:08 AM

the Clemson - BC and coming to the conclusion that they would beat us by 3 TDs.

Ohio State has played some bad halves of football, but they've also played some very dominant ones. I believe they were up 35-7 early in the 3rd Q before Indiana came back. They manhandled NW in the second half despite Fields not being able to throw the ball.

The potential is clearly there. Whether or not they will play up to it is certainly not clear, but OSU is potentially far more dangerous than Miami. I'm not sure Miamis best game could beat Clemson right now. The same is not true with Ohio State.

Re: Right. This is akin to Ohio State fans watching

Dec 21, 2020, 11:17 AM

The 22 players missing is a garbage narrative being pushed by OSU and the media ...

How many starters were they missing? The top WR? That definitely matters ... but who beyond that ?

They just pushed out their whole list of unavailable..

We probably have 20 players unavailable every week as well....

Yep, of the 22, 14 were schollies, and 3 were starters.

Dec 21, 2020, 11:43 AM

Granted, that's still high amount of missing personnel, but the other 8 are non-contributors.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Yep, of the 22, 14 were schollies, and 3 were starters.

Dec 21, 2020, 11:44 AM

You are going to need a new avatar. Might as well jump on "5"

Re: Yep, of the 22, 14 were schollies, and 3 were starters.

Dec 21, 2020, 12:24 PM [ in reply to Yep, of the 22, 14 were schollies, and 3 were starters. ]

That's the information I have been looking for.

I wonder also how many of the 11 scholarship guys that don't start ever get to play.

Clemson has multiple scholarship guys on the "not available" list each game but most are guys who are young and wouldn't see the field in a competitive game anyway.

Who were the other 2 starters besides the WR?

Ohio State is VASTLY more talented than Miami

Dec 21, 2020, 10:38 AM

and better coached as well. Clemson would be favored by 20+ over Miami right now.

Dec 21, 2020, 11:57 AM

OSO would beat Miami by 4 TDs. Even when we played Miami and they had some hope it would have been a pasting.

Dabo putting OSU at 11 is just stupid. I get that he was trying to make a point about the short schedule, but if he really thinks 8 or 9 of the teams ranked ahead are more talented or dangerous, then he is severely underestimating them. I expect this game will be a lot like last year.

We need to be the more physical team this year and can’t get caught like last game. The 1Q we got rocked and a play here or there would have been too much to come back from. Not a fan of giving silly bulletin board material too.

Dec 21, 2020, 12:20 PM

Am I on a Clemson board or did I somehow stumble into Grapevine Texas, to eavesdrop on the CFP committee?

So Miami is as bad as Michigan State and Nebraska now??

Guess what those are the only teams OSU beat by 28 or more...

Stop looking at the name on the jersey and look at the product on the field ...

Yup they’re talented ...well so is UGA ... and they haven’t won a championship since MTV actually played music....

OSU has done nothing impressive this season...

But they’re OSU ... so they belong in the playoffs and they will dramatically improve before we play them?

Well ok then...

Is the potential there? Sure it is...absolutely....but it’s just potential ...

I’ll go with what I’ve seen versus potential...

Replies: 24
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic