Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
McMaster is a total idiot - how is
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

McMaster is a total idiot - how is

Apr 6, 2020, 6:06 PM

"Attending religious services conducted in churches, synagogues, or other houses of worship" an essential service?

You're going to lock me in my house but let hundreds congregate and spread the virus? What's the point????

Churches can use Zoom or phone or whatever everyone else is using.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Landlords can forgive rent, God needs his tithes

Apr 6, 2020, 6:09 PM

it ain’t cheap bringing those souls into H-Town

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: McMaster is a total idiot - how is

Apr 6, 2020, 7:58 PM

this isnt a news scoop. it was apparent long before now

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 6, 2020, 7:59 PM

Churches I know of in the upstate are doing their services online. Are there churches that are still assembling together?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 6, 2020, 8:05 PM

I’m not aware of any Churches in SC that are holding Services in Person with one exception — A Church in Pickens did a Service in which Parishoners listened via their radios’ while in their cars.

Apr 6, 2020, 7:54 PM

Is a protected service, so he's going to call it essential

Apr 6, 2020, 8:29 PM

to save lawsuits.

Apr 6, 2020, 8:32 PM

I have set up several upstate churches for web streaming services. Maybe McMaster is just a believer in the constitution and South Carolina's people to do the right thing?

Or...maybe he's an idiot.***

Apr 6, 2020, 9:56 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Or...maybe he's an idiot.***

Apr 6, 2020, 10:12 PM

two things can be possible at once i guess. I do not know the man. lets hope our numbers bottom out in the next few weeks.

Apr 6, 2020, 9:46 PM

I understand faith and having faith in God but tempting God is not a good thing. It's no different for a Pastor to refuse to stop his congregation from gathering than having faith then running onto I-85 in front of a Semi. In all likelyhood, the result is going to be bad.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

agreed

Apr 6, 2020, 9:53 PM

My church has been doing live feed for three weeks now. Like 4-5 will get together to do worship and sermon and the rest of us are at home. We’ve always done live feed through our website, but now we’re also doing YouTube and Facebook......no excuse not to. We have to be smart about this. Any church leaders that would think it’s ok to do so......well I question their intelligence. I believe God is ultimately in control, but I also believe He wants us to make smart decisions...especially when it affects others.

Apr 6, 2020, 10:07 PM

I find it so weird people feel the need to go to church. It’s all a sham

Apr 6, 2020, 10:28 PM

This is really not a constitutional issue as much as a PR one.

The context of the freedom of religion clause is belief and practice, not health and safety.

It has long been assumed that the State (any state) has jurisdiction over any church in matters of Health and Safety. At least since 1977 when I became involved in the conversation, the local Fire Marshal can shut a church down for any number of reasons--failure to install crash bars, lack of handicapped egress, exceeding capacity, inadequate rest room facilities, unsanitary child care, asbestos exposure, etc.

To my knowledge, no case has ever gone to the Supreme Court because no one wants to. No state wants to be branded anti-church, and Fire Marshals have lots of leeway to grant if a church is making efforts to comply.
For instance, when many churches were unable to complete their asbestos inspections and eradication on time, DHEC gave an extra 12 months and waived the costly pre-inspection requirement. Our local FM gave us an extra 180 days to get one door fitted with a crash bar, because the first one we installed wasn't compatible with our security system.

Covid-19 is the kind of test Super Statists dream of, where any church foolish enough to flout public safety guidelines expressed by the governor deserves to be shut down. That would set a terrible precedent.

So I believe the governor has been advised to give the churches a loophole while counting on their good sense and natural desire to cooperate.

If any state government is forced to take any church to court over health and safety, the government will win. And that particular church will be standing alone. The rest of us will do everything we can to convince that church to capitulate to any reasonable requirement so the Super State cannot use a SC victory to encroach on the rest of the FirstAmendment freedoms.

He's the Governor... He should have the 'nads' to say so...

Apr 7, 2020, 1:39 AM

It's political pandering.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

From a practical standpoint...

Apr 7, 2020, 8:55 AM

most churches are streaming services online and have been for a few weeks now. Very few if any are actually congregating.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

I'm no fan of ole Ancient McMaster myself, but

Apr 7, 2020, 9:37 AM

I think he knew full well all churches had already been closed for weeks when saying this. It's a PR/save face with the church kind of thing. Strikes me as the kind of thing that happens hourly in politics and pisses people like you off, but really has no meaning or bearing on reality.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 7, 2020, 9:48 AM

https://www.postandcourier.com/health/covid19/the-real-reason-why-sc-gov-henry-mcmaster-wont-issue-a-coronavirus-stay-at-home/article_7bb34d02-75f7-11ea-817b-8355136ffadb.html

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic