Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
those of you waiting to send Chad to a HCing gig... keep an
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 2,081

those of you waiting to send Chad to a HCing gig... keep an

Sep 30, 2014, 9:44 AM

eye on Tulsa.

little bit of info on the situation:

Currently Bill Blankenship is the HC, and he's a hometown boy who coached high school for 15 years in Tulsa. He was very successful, won state championships, and even had a 50+ home winning streak in HS. He became the receivers coach at TU in 2006, and took over as HC for Todd Graham in 2011.

In his first year, he went 8-5. He followed that up with a very successful 11-3 and a conference championship in 2012, as well as a bowl win.

However, in 2013, he went 3-9, and they are off to a 1-3 start this year.

I don't think he's in danger this year, unless the wheels fall off completely... but this is a place that is used to winning lately, and being in that "best mid-major" discussion.

Chad was the OC here, and seriously considered the job before coming to Clemson. It has also been proven that you can land a big-time job from TU (see Todd Graham and Gus Malzahn - although Malzahn went to AU as OC first).

If Blankenship doesn't turn it around this year, he will be on a very, very hot seat next year... and you can bet Morris will be at the top of their list.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

This is something to keep an eye on, but

Sep 30, 2014, 9:48 AM

any chance the Chad just wants to stay around with Watson for the next several seasons just to see what they can accomplish together? Since he's Chad's "guy" for his offense, I would hope so. Tnetters might run Chad off first though.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Because at the end of the game, everyone knew that they weren’t that much better than us or better than us at all."

absolutely

Sep 30, 2014, 9:55 AM

timing is everything... I think it would be after DW's soph. year before there was an opening at TU anyway... unless the wheels just fall completely off this year

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

I completely agree that Morris would be a target for Tulsa

Sep 30, 2014, 9:50 AM

but I'm still not so sure that Morris would be willing to accept a HC position at a school that is not part of one of the five power conferences. Although if he did, I could cetainly see Tulsa being a serious contender.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

I think Chad will probably consider the fact that even Gus

Sep 30, 2014, 9:53 AM

went to Ark. St. from AU, before landing the head AU job. Now, some of that was due to Gus not agreeing with Chizik's "way" of doing things... but it's still the path he took.

If Chad wants a "really good" power 5 job, the ticket would be to go to a place like TU, win there, then the doors would absolutely open up.

Morris was a legitimate candidate for the openings at....

Sep 30, 2014, 10:07 AM

NC State, Texas Tech and Vanderbilt. I think Morris realized that NC State and TT were not ideal fits for him because the schools would not commit to providing the competitive salaries for a coaching staff or to building the kinds of facilities that are needed in order to be competitive. That said, I do believe Morris would have accepted the job at Vandy had Vandy not elected to go with Derek Mason (how's that working out for them). If he is patient, I do think he could land a HC position at a power five conference school without going the smaller school route first.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree... but I just think admins would have a hard time

Sep 30, 2014, 10:26 AM

naming him at a big program. I'm not saying that it couldn't happen, or that he's not ready. Someone could take a chance... but that's what it would be, a risk, IMO.

personally, I think he would do well... but he was only the OC at TU for one year before coming here.

IMO, BV has a better chance to jump from coordinator to HC at a "name" school than Morris... solely b/c of experience.

Again, not a knock on Chad... it could very well happen

Frankly, both BV and CM....

Sep 30, 2014, 10:35 AM

can come across as a bit abrasive or curt at times, particularly when dealing with the media. Not sure how well that characteristic will be received when they become head coaches.

With DeShaun Watson, Mike Williams, Artavis Scott, Germone

Sep 30, 2014, 9:55 AM

Hopper, Deon Cain, Ray Ray McCloud and maybe Tyshone Dye next year to go with what should be a great tight end group, he could really set the world on fire over the next few years.

Throw in the head coaching type money he makes and that will be tough to leave unless it is the right situation.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

there's no question he can get a power 5 job straight from

Sep 30, 2014, 10:01 AM

OC at Clemson... but I'm not sure it would be the most desirable situation. Yea, it happens... but it would likely be a WF, ISU, Purdue, etc... type job.

Big time jobs, IMO, are more attainable if you are a successful HC at a place like Tulsa.

My guess is that he was told the Auburn job might be a

Sep 30, 2014, 10:04 AM

possibility if he left before the ##### hit the fan. He probably knew that Chizik's days were numbered before he decided to leave. That isn't a possibility at Clemson.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree... at this point...

Sep 30, 2014, 10:53 AM

If Dabo were to leave, I don't think CU would have any problem naming CM, or BV, for that matter.

However, if I'm an AD of a "name" school, say the AU's, LSU's, UF's, etc... I'm gonna have a hard time pulling that trigger on Chad.

Not saying he wouldn't do great and be a great hire... but it would be a risk at this point, IMO.

Re: I agree... at this point...

Sep 30, 2014, 11:07 AM

morris is NOT going to get a head coaching job at a power 5 conference school that is a traditional power. he must not be a good interviewer to have missed on some of the jobs he has tried to get. and even wake and nc state hired hc from smaller schools. vandy and texas tech hired assistants but I think tt was the best job and fit for chad. imo he will have to take a job like Tulsa or lesser historically football power school to get a hc job. plus with the money he makes here and the talent coming, it will be difficult to leave for a smaller school. arky state only paid gus a million a year.

Why would he take a pay cut to move to Tulsa?

Sep 30, 2014, 10:04 AM

Less job security, he'd have to move his family, and deal with more headaches for less money. Not worried.

I feel better now

Sep 30, 2014, 10:09 AM

but your logic is illogical

Sometimes

Sep 30, 2014, 10:12 AM [ in reply to Why would he take a pay cut to move to Tulsa? ]

you have to take a step back in order to ultimately get two steps ahead.

Unless you could just wait a year or two for the right job

Sep 30, 2014, 11:02 AM

to open up, which is what he's said he was going to do all along.

i think you're giving too much credit for what he's done

Sep 30, 2014, 11:08 AM

there's no bigger fan of Chad than me... but it would be a huge risk for an AD of a "big name" school to sign him on the dotted line.

Possible - yes

Extremely risky at this point - yes

If you're a school who needs instant offense, not a bad pick

Sep 30, 2014, 12:44 PM

I could honestly see someone like Florida or Michigan giving him an interview. And if our offense is good for another year or two, I could easily see him getting a big job.

If Will Mushchump can get an HC gig

Sep 30, 2014, 12:58 PM

at UF, they would be insane not to hire Morris

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

Re: those of you waiting to send Chad to a HCing gig... keep an

Sep 30, 2014, 10:07 AM

Wouldn't Venables be on that list also?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

for this particular job... Morris would be higher on the

Sep 30, 2014, 10:11 AM

list than Venables

Disagree

Sep 30, 2014, 10:10 AM

He would be taking a 45-50% pay cut (about $600,000 per year) to take a job that "may" help him get to a top tier program. If it takes him 5 years to do it from that platform (and that's a big IF), you are looking at nearly $3,000,000 he would be losing. I think if he leaves Clemson it will be to a top tier program paying more than he is getting now. He may leave for a small pay cut in order to establish himself as a HC, but definitely not $600,000 worth of a cut, and definitely not Tulsa. We all like to think it isn't about the money when you make that much, but in reality it is all about the money.

ok***

Sep 30, 2014, 10:11 AM

Re: I will not care. He can leave anytime that he wants to.***

Sep 30, 2014, 10:15 AM

Re: those of you waiting to send Chad to a HCing gig... keep an

Sep 30, 2014, 10:23 AM

I don't think Tulsa is it for CM, but who knows. I still think he holds out for a power conference football program.

I'm sure no one will agree with my opinion here, but just for kicks and giggles... I think that this is an important year for CM if he wants to be on the HC list for any of the top football programs. He's got some fresh talent to work with and his offense needs to handily win against a top team. So far this year ... well I'm not going to visit the past. But you know what the talking heads are saying right now.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Morris could very well land a top job coming for CU as OC...

Sep 30, 2014, 10:50 AM

but that admin. would still be taking a big risk. I'm not sure how many AD's are gonna sign off on that hire.

Possible, absolutely.

Re: Morris could very well land a top job coming for CU as OC...

Sep 30, 2014, 12:31 PM

TCU could be one to watch in the future. That is def a job he would take.

Replies: 27
| visibility 2,081
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic