Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Clemson QBs after rewatching Spring Game
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 4,790

Clemson QBs after rewatching Spring Game

Aug 7, 2017, 5:38 PM

Ok, so my original thoughts were that KB was the best runner, Hunter Johnson may be the better passer by just a tad, but Zerrick Cooper was the best blend of the two. Tucker Israel can sling it, but IMO will never be a factor unfortunately because of depth and size.

I was under the impression partly due to ready stuff on here and my old thoughts/recruiting rankings that we had sort of a Cole Stoudt/Deshaun Watson problem, where KB would start the year, and Hunter Johnson may take over at some point, because he's so highly rated....blah blah blah.

One post on here made me take a closer look. It said KB's HS stats were better than HJ's. Sure enough, after looking it up, it's not even close. I'm still not sure how HJ became such a highly rated star. It's not even close between the two with HS stats. But, HS stats mean nothing now.

After rewatching the spring game, I believe Kelly Bryant will start unless he makes critical mistakes, or has a really bad off day. Then, I believe Zerrick Cooper will come in. Then HJ. KB looks the most relaxed and in command, but I believe ZC isn't far behind. So I'd rate KB an 8/10 and a ZC a 7.9/10. HJ to me seems like a 7/10 (right now, but may have a higher ceiling). But it really doesn't matter. I think we can win with either KB or ZC at the level we want. I think HJ would be good, but wouldn't result in a ACC/Playoff spot, maybe 9-10 wins as opposed to 11/12 wins.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Clemson QBs after rewatching Spring Game

Aug 7, 2017, 5:54 PM

Completely agree with this. Thought Johnson looked very uncomfortable in the spring game. If Kelly can show any resemblance of a passing game he will own the starting job.

Aug 7, 2017, 7:26 PM

So you are going to determine who starts after 26 more practices before a game on one practice 4 months ago???

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Aug 7, 2017, 10:35 PM

The answer to all of you is yes. I factored all of that into my opinion. That's all it is. I did not pay attention to stats, completions, touchdowns, etc. I simply watched nothing but the QB, and how comfortable or flustered they seemed. They all have the physical tools. HJ just looked like he was feeling pressure get to him sooner than the other guys, prematurely leaving the pocket or glancing at the pressure instead of keeping his eyes reading a split second longer. It does amaze me however how people have their favorite

Nobody looked "comfortable" in the spring game

Aug 7, 2017, 9:26 PM [ in reply to Re: Clemson QBs after rewatching Spring Game ]

Largely because the diluted offensive lines made life impossible for the QBs.

If you go by the spring game, we don't have a single QB on the roster who can move the team and win games.

Things will look different on September 2 ...

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Johnson will push for time and will probably be starting

Aug 7, 2017, 6:01 PM

later in the season.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

'I Cannot Sanction Your Buffoonery'

Dabo's not worried about any of them.

Aug 7, 2017, 6:04 PM

States it all in this interview,didn't ask for message board opinions.

http://wccpfm.com/road-rage-with-walt-deptula/

i think any of the qbs could win 9+***

Aug 7, 2017, 10:57 PM

Aug 7, 2017, 6:07 PM

Who knows. Chase Brice might be the man. Don't you just love the depth?

Chase has the tools to become a great college QB***

Aug 7, 2017, 7:21 PM

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 7, 2017, 6:18 PM

Be great if one of them is so good Lawrence has to red shirt

Pretty darn sure that won't be happening***

Aug 8, 2017, 2:13 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 7, 2017, 6:23 PM

OK, can you give me an assessment of how they looked with the entire first string O-line, 1st string RB, 1st string wideouts, and 1st string TE all on the field at one time with the 1st string defense all together and coming at them?? Think I missed that part in the spring game.

~this~what kind of blocking did they have, and what d played

Aug 7, 2017, 6:50 PM

against them HJ's line could not keep the d out of backfield.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ZC outplayed HJ with the same O-Line and WRs

Aug 7, 2017, 6:57 PM [ in reply to Re: Clemson QBs after rewatching Spring Game ]

in that Spring Game:

Johnson 5-13 48 yds. 1 td 1 int
Cooper 11-18 for 81 yds. 1 int (also added 5 runs for 26 yds)

Re: ZC outplayed HJ with the same O-Line and WRs

Aug 7, 2017, 7:21 PM

Just because they played on the same side of the ball doesn't mean the players lined up were exactly the same....did you look to see if they rotated in different guys on the line, changed WR combos, etc?? Did every single jersey number match up play for play identical??

IMO, you can't base a thing off a spring game. It's a glorified scrimmage, the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd strings are all scattered about the field, and rotating a ton. You never see what any of them really look like with the REAL full 1st string all blocking...all out there to receive catches, etc.

Though the percentages you posted are better for KB, the amount of points scored appears to favor Johnson by what you posted (1 TD vs 0, unless you forgot to post KB's TDs) FWIW. Not too bad for a freshman being compared to a guy that's been in the system an entire year if he scored more than the veteran.

Re: ZC outplayed HJ with the same O-Line and WRs

Aug 7, 2017, 7:22 PM

Sorry, ZC, not KB.

I posted a Zerrick Cooper vs. Hunter Johnson comparison:

Aug 7, 2017, 7:34 PM [ in reply to Re: ZC outplayed HJ with the same O-Line and WRs ]

Oh, and Zerrick led a TD drive in that game (TD resulted from a handoff). He also led another drive down the field before the half, but Spence missed the FG.

So lets recap. Both QBs led scoring drives, both QBs threw one INT, Cooper had more yards through the air, Cooper had a better completion percentage, and Cooper had more yards on the ground.

Re: I posted a Zerrick Cooper vs. Hunter Johnson comparison:

Aug 7, 2017, 7:55 PM

I get what you are saying...but again...what were the jerseys sitting in front of each...exactly the same, in the same places?? This is a serious question...hint...put Big Dex and Wilkins side by side on one play against freshmen, next play, slide them both outside to face veterns...hink it'll look the exact same in pressure?? Have Mitch Hyatt blocking for one of them, but his 3rd string guy in for the other...think that will look the same?

Just watched some of it to check myself..

Did you notice with Zerrick Cooper was TJ Chase, Powell, and Feaster, but with Johnson was Cannon Smith, Overton, and Adam Choice? That's what I am meaning....seemed each one may have had either their own combos of guys a little bit, or were schemed for certain guys.

Skill players rotated.

Aug 7, 2017, 8:09 PM

At one point in the 2nd Qtr... HJ had Deon Cain, Feaster, and Chase in the field. I could do this all day, but it won't change my opinion that ZC outplayed HJ in the spring game.

This QB competition will work itself out...

Aug 7, 2017, 8:11 PM

and I will be pulling for whoever is back there when the season starts.

Re: This QB competition will work itself out...

Aug 7, 2017, 9:45 PM

Oh, by no means am I arguing anything, just curious. I myself never put much into a spring game. Doesn't tell me what I want to know. ..what I need to see is more stays during a live scrimmage where each QB plays with all of the ones. Personally, I've felt ZC would beat out Bryant, and the true battle would be between him and Johnson by game 4-5. Time will tell.

Re: This QB competition will work itself out...

Aug 7, 2017, 9:46 PM

*stats

In the words of Allen Iverson - an excellent QB himself

Aug 7, 2017, 8:07 PM

We talkin about practice.

Not a game - PRACTICE.

And only one practice that is staged.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

It's a great problem to have. The worst of our top 3 QBs

Aug 7, 2017, 11:39 PM

(whoever that is) would start on almost any team in the ACC, and any team in the SEC.

It's a great time to have orange blood.

Replies: 24
| visibility 4,790
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic