Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
With all due respect to any of your relatives that may be
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 64
| visibility 1

With all due respect to any of your relatives that may be

Jan 7, 2013, 12:50 PM

teachers.

If any of them are truly honest, you'll find that becoming an "education major" in school is quite the joke. You'll find that our best and brightest are frequently not education majors.

And a few honest teachers will tell you just that.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Takes a special person to become a great teacher, so more

Jan 7, 2013, 12:51 PM

power to them.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

special how?***

Jan 7, 2013, 12:52 PM

badge-ringofhonor-clemsonsteve02.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Retarded

Jan 7, 2013, 12:53 PM

hth.

They prefer "mongoloid"***

Jan 7, 2013, 12:54 PM

Waterhead

Jan 7, 2013, 12:56 PM

hth.

Crayon Eater***

Jan 7, 2013, 1:00 PM

No doubt, but with regards to the teachers banging students

Jan 7, 2013, 12:53 PM [ in reply to Takes a special person to become a great teacher, so more ]

Teachers now are taught more about psychology and classroom management, rather than specifics on education.

Wouldn't it be nice to have math teachers who were math majors before they got to college? That ain't the way its setup.

With this new "core curriculum standards" crap, it's

Jan 7, 2013, 12:55 PM

basically paint by numbers for teachers these days. Like a lot of jobs that have tried to minimize the influence of the lowest common denominators, they've also removed a lot of the ability of the good teachers to excel.

All of the teachers in our Middle and HS teach to the PASS

Jan 7, 2013, 12:57 PM

test.

Nothing happens at school after the testing is over. That is a real shame.

Yup....we take our kids out for 3 days or so every January

Jan 7, 2013, 1:02 PM

to go skiing out West. For the first time ever, this past year we got a nasty letter from the school district saying that every day is sooo important and because we had incurred more than two days of unexcused absences in a row, we could be referred to DSS if it ever happened again (never mind that those were the only days of the whole year either kid missed).

So the "every day is important" thing sorta rang hollow when the entire final week and a half of school was crap like storytelling festivals and field days and other non-education post-testing BS.

My son did NOTHING the last 2 days before xmas break.

Jan 7, 2013, 1:09 PM

Teachers told him not to even bring pen/paper to school.

That's in the 6th grade.

Man don't I know about that. They have the EOG's and then

Jan 7, 2013, 2:31 PM [ in reply to Yup....we take our kids out for 3 days or so every January ]

don't do anything for the entire week after. Same with exam week........there are probably 3 or more weeks a year they are doing NOTHING in class.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

^^This^^***

Jan 7, 2013, 1:04 PM [ in reply to With this new "core curriculum standards" crap, it's ]

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

couldn't a good teacher teach the standards and beyond?

Jan 7, 2013, 1:11 PM [ in reply to With this new "core curriculum standards" crap, it's ]

I've never understood why you couldn't do that, as surely you would learn enough of the minimal standards if you were teaching a rigorous class on the subject matter but not necessarily "teaching to the test." I guess that partly depends on not having idiot students. But I thought the standards tests we took about 10 years ago were hilariously easy.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If you're in a district/school where you have bright kids

Jan 7, 2013, 1:13 PM

who are engaged, and their parents are engaged...then YES.

But in most of the country, that's not the case.

About to say, of course he thought the test was easy..

Jan 7, 2013, 1:43 PM

he was probably a super-intelligent kid with a lot of parental involvement and motivation.

By the time half of my freshmen get to me, they're on average two grade levels behind in reading comprehension. Average. Some are much, much worse.

A lot of them come from homes that are utterly broken, and they're told to simply drop out when they turn 17, and start collecting checks.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

we won't fix education until we fix that broken-ness.

Jan 7, 2013, 1:48 PM

We will not fix education. We may break a cycle here or there, but there is no amount of money that can force parents to be worth a ###

Correct answer..****

Jan 7, 2013, 1:49 PM

So, you are referring to this person I know,

Jan 7, 2013, 1:45 PM [ in reply to No doubt, but with regards to the teachers banging students ]

She teaches fourth grade math. What was her worst subject in school? Yep, you guessed it. Math.

But she does have a masters in divergent learning or some bs like that, so she must be a good teacher.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

MauldinT, where are you???

All well and good, but there are likely some mathmatical

Jan 7, 2013, 1:52 PM [ in reply to No doubt, but with regards to the teachers banging students ]

geniuses that couldn't get their #### across to the bulk of students if their lives depended on it.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-snuffys.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

...I never submitted the whole system of my opinions to the creed of any party of men whatever in religion, in philosophy, in politics, or in anything else where I was capable of thinking for myself. Such an addiction is the last degradation of a free and moral agent.

As an education major at The Citadel

Jan 7, 2013, 12:53 PM

what do you mean exactly by it being a joke? Just not sure what you mean.

I think he means not to be taken seriously.***

Jan 7, 2013, 12:55 PM

Meaning that we put teachers (education majors) on a

Jan 7, 2013, 12:56 PM [ in reply to As an education major at The Citadel ]

pedestal as being the best/brightest, when comparatively speaking their major is one of the easiest (least challenging) to attain at most 4 year universities.

We wonder why teachers are banging students more and more frequently. I'm saying that many (not all) of these teachers have not been challenged, nor are they the brightest bulbs when they graduate....in part because it is a soft major.

I agree it is fairly soft compared to some majors

Jan 7, 2013, 1:01 PM

but I'm not sure where you get the idea that we (Education majors) are considered the best/brightest. Maybe it is different at different schools.

Well let's consider that every time a female police officer

Jan 7, 2013, 1:03 PM

bangs a 17 year old, we don't know his/her name.

There is something in us that holds teachers to a higher standard as a country.

If anything we (teachers) are the dumb ones

Jan 7, 2013, 1:08 PM

putting in 50-60 hours a week for ###### pay.

BUT YOU GET SUMMERS OFF!!!1

Jan 7, 2013, 1:12 PM

Am I doin' it rite?

Another way to view the problem...

Jan 7, 2013, 1:47 PM [ in reply to Meaning that we put teachers (education majors) on a ]

is that teacher salaries aren't high enough to consistently attract top shelf talent.

If I'm brilliant at Math, why would I take a teaching job making $31,000 a year when I could take an entry level job at an engineering firm and make significantly more?

Inevitably then, you get a lot of people majoring in education who A)Can't think of anything else to do or B) Are just waiting to get their M.R.S. and be a stay at home.

Link: Nation's easiest degree-Education Major

Jan 7, 2013, 1:00 PM [ in reply to As an education major at The Citadel ]

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505145_162-37245744/heres-the-nations-easiest-college-major/

If you can read that link, thank a teacher.***

Jan 7, 2013, 1:00 PM

I knew how to read way before I went to school.***

Ya, but could you math?***

Only single-variable at that point.***

Jan 7, 2013, 1:05 PM

I STILL can't math. (Why I'm in marketing)

Jan 7, 2013, 1:10 PM [ in reply to Ya, but could you math?*** ]

can I blame teachers for that?

No, that's your mom's fault for drinking during pregnancy.***

Jan 7, 2013, 1:26 PM

She only drank at 4:20

Jan 7, 2013, 1:55 PM

if you know what I mean. It was the 70's man...

Is PRTM a Clemson only thing or something?***

Jan 7, 2013, 1:03 PM [ in reply to Link: Nation's easiest degree-Education Major ]

I think other schools have HRTM

Jan 7, 2013, 1:37 PM

Hotel, Restaurant and Tourism Management. Just as worthless, though

My wife is a teacher yet not an education major.

Jan 7, 2013, 1:05 PM

She majored in her subject matter and minored in education for a teaching certificate.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is quite rare these days outside of college.***

Jan 7, 2013, 1:11 PM

Not sure how CofC handles it now, but that was the norm

Jan 7, 2013, 1:16 PM

for secondary education when she attended I believe. Or maybe it's because she's a foreign language teacher and actually has to understand her subject matter.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mine as well.

Jan 7, 2013, 2:43 PM [ in reply to My wife is a teacher yet not an education major. ]

History/Spanish double major, then Masters in history, followed by a Masters in Spanish. She is also a published author. She teaches Spanish. At the time she went back to school, she was 30 years old and just wanted to do it. She had no career aspirations from the degrees, as she was in management at the USPS. When the chance to teach Spanish came up, she saw it as a way out of the Post Office. Had she stayed, she probably would have been a mass shooting story in the making.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Education as a major is easy.

Jan 7, 2013, 1:16 PM

I'm a teacher. It's easy to get through the program.

A lot harder to be good at the job.

Well said.***

Jan 7, 2013, 1:18 PM

Well, most things are.

Jan 7, 2013, 1:22 PM [ in reply to Education as a major is easy. ]

Unless the job is stupid.

They don't call it work for nuthin.

In high school most of my teachers had PhD's

Jan 7, 2013, 1:23 PM

And their PhD was in something like history (history teacher), English (English teacher), chemistry (chemistry teacher), engineering (Physics teacher), mathematics (math teacher)or medicine (biology teacher). About half my high school teachers also taught classes at USC.

My history teacher was amazing. Every day he would pull out a desk from the front row and turn it to face the classroom. He would sit down and start telling us the story of Western Civ., complete with dates, names, places, etc. He had no notes, and no guidelines to go by...ever. He just sat there and we took notes. Every name, date, place, and term he talked about was also in our course book, but you didn't need to read if you took good notes in class. I never saw something he said that was wrong...not a date, name, or anything.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yup. In my experience, the best teachers were not

Jan 7, 2013, 1:26 PM

those who majored in education, but did something else, and then later wanted to teach.

I was an education major for one semester in college, and after one month in the program switched my major back to electrical engineering because I did not wanted to be lumped in with the ####tards that primarily composed the major.

So he could memorize

Jan 7, 2013, 1:26 PM [ in reply to In high school most of my teachers had PhD's ]

which is also important I guess.

Oh, he would give us research topics for papers

Jan 7, 2013, 1:35 PM

as well. We would draw topics out of a hat. I remember I once got one to write a paper on the Hebrew's reverence for Yahweh. I didn't even know who Yahweh was. I went to the library (pre-internets) and found out. Learned the origin of the term and what it meant, and how and who used it and for what purposes. His research paper topics were MUCH deeper than the stuff we would go over in class. It was just as tough, if not more, than the history papers I had to write at Clemson. I would actually compare his research papers to Modern and Classical political thought at Clemson. Often the topics were similar.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We get it, you hate teachers.

Jan 7, 2013, 1:40 PM [ in reply to So he could memorize ]

Moving on.

How did you reach that conclusion?***

Jan 7, 2013, 1:45 PM

In high school, most of my teachers were utterly worthless

Jan 7, 2013, 1:52 PM [ in reply to In high school most of my teachers had PhD's ]

I had some that were Clowney stupid, and a couple who routinely did cocaine in the bathroom.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We get it. You hate teachers.

Jan 7, 2013, 1:57 PM

Moving on.

Yeah, yeah. Whatever, the reality is most teachers

Jan 7, 2013, 2:08 PM

become teachers because it is the path of least resistance in college and life. Easy major with summers off is very appealing to a lot of lazy/stupid people. Can teachers even get fired? I remember when I was in school, they just moved the sucky teachers around from school to school whenever they had problems at one place.

Tigerdon, I do not think you're one of these people, but let's be real...They're out there.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That is just garbage.

Jan 7, 2013, 2:27 PM

Listen, I'm not going to sit here and be the defenders of all things public education. There are some crappy teachers.

There are a lot of Ed. Majors that got into the major for bad reasons.

But to say the "most" teachers are lazy and bad at what they do is idiotic nonsense, and you're talking out of your rear to say it.

I don't feign expertise on how to roll the fattest doobie; you don't tell me what percentage of my colleagues are losers at life.

Stick to your expertise. When I want a recommendation for the best Phish album, I'll ask you.

K?

I don't like Phish...

Jan 7, 2013, 2:32 PM

I went through the public education system from elementary through high school...I had maybe 3 or 4 good teachers that actually cared and had intelligence throughout all of those years. I'm not giving any percentages, just personal experience. There might be more teachers worth a #### where you are.

You'll have to forgive the incendiary reaction...

Jan 7, 2013, 2:36 PM

my wife is a teacher. My brother is a teacher. My father was a teacher, as was my aunt and uncle.

I can say honestly that all of them had a passion for their content, and made impacts on the kids they taught.

I know some scum bag teachers. I know some schools that suck, or have gone through a rough patch or two.

However, the "most teachers" comment was hyperbole, to say the least.

It sucks you didn't get a great education. I mean that. But be wary of "throwing the baby out with the bath water."

Teachers can and do get fired.

Jan 7, 2013, 2:28 PM [ in reply to Yeah, yeah. Whatever, the reality is most teachers ]

There is an eval. process in place that cycles through.

The issue is that a lot of principals are spineless.

Maybe times have changed, but I can honestly say I had

Jan 7, 2013, 2:32 PM [ in reply to Yeah, yeah. Whatever, the reality is most teachers ]

some pretty darn good teachers as far back as 4th grade. I may had 1 or 2 less than stellar ones in middle/high school, but as a whole I felt like they wanted to be there, worked hard at what they did, and truly cared for those of us in the classroom.

"It's Baltimore, Gentlemen; the Gods will not save you."

Greenville High?

Jan 7, 2013, 2:08 PM [ in reply to In high school, most of my teachers were utterly worthless ]

No pun intended.

J.L. Mann***

Jan 7, 2013, 2:09 PM

You get what you pay for . . .***

Jan 7, 2013, 2:05 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”
Isaac Asimov

My sister and my niece (by marriage) were both teachers.

Jan 7, 2013, 2:07 PM

One in GA and one in SC.

Both left the profession. It takes real dedication to be a good one.

They both miss the summers off, but neither has ANY desire to go back to it.

Are they hot? Pics?***

Jan 7, 2013, 2:08 PM

Replies: 64
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic