Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Hay Greenr, how was your extended weekend? It was awesome
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 57
| visibility 481

Hay Greenr, how was your extended weekend? It was awesome

Jan 19, 2021, 8:03 AM

until it ceased being awesome.

Fell trail running while the kids mountain biked yesterday, broke phone screen. JUST finished the Verizon payments on it, 24 of them, with zero problems. $150 to fix it.

Woke up this morning to the furnace not getting power. Breaker had tripped and it isn't turning back on. Currently 62 in my house and dropping. Did a quick Google search for Nest Thermostats data and read that if you don't connect the Common, which Nest says is OK, it will burn up good systems. I've had it for 2-3 years so I am not sure if I did hook that up or not, just remember having a hard time with the wiring.

FML FML FML FML FML FML FML FML

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If it makes you feel better, my house is

Jan 19, 2021, 8:05 AM

62 right now. And it's on purpose.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My fangers are frozen right now.***

Jan 19, 2021, 8:11 AM

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mine is 63, even with the gas logs. They seem to

Jan 19, 2021, 8:30 AM [ in reply to If it makes you feel better, my house is ]

be having a hard time today for some reason. I also fear that I left them running all night long and I'm really just a ghost now.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Last winter my gas logs would shut off

Jan 19, 2021, 8:35 AM

on their own after about 30-45 minutes. Took the whole assembly apart, cleaned it, put down new ember fibers, and put some new pebbles down. Lit it. Did the same thing. So I swore off the fireplace until we could get someone in to look at it.

Pandemic happens. We don't let people in our house.

Last night, it got a little chilly, and with our house heating unevenly because the furnace is on the let side of the house, I figured, "hey, lets turn on the gas logs for the first time this winter."

They worked. Flawlessly. Ran for nearly two hours before I turned them off myself and went to bed.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsonrulez08.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please forgive me, @IneligibleUser

My logs did the same cutoff thing and I fritzed with them

Jan 19, 2021, 8:44 AM

about 2 years - tried cleaning and adjusting repeatedly before finally saying screwit and replacing the whole thing last winter. Upgraded to one with a remote, wasn't very expensive and works like a champ.

We won't be in this house for too much longer

Jan 19, 2021, 8:48 AM

Maybe one more winter. So if we can get them to fire up and run for a home inspection, which it does, I am good with our current situation. I have done too much to this house and the only thing that is left for me is replacing the deck, if I ever get around to it.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsonrulez08.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have this really strong feeling

Jan 19, 2021, 8:50 AM

that we are going to get this master bath done in March and then about June/July, my wife is going to find a house in town that she wants to buy. I would almost guarantee its going to happen.

I don't even want to think about it all. Ha ha!! I hate moving.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Im paying someone to move for me this next time

Jan 19, 2021, 8:52 AM

We have accumulated too much #### over the past four years.

Mine have a thermostat in them, never paid much attention to

Jan 19, 2021, 8:45 AM [ in reply to Last winter my gas logs would shut off ]

how long they'll run at a given time. When I checked just now they were about 80% of the way to full blast but the house was only 63. This seems extreme. Usually it is like 30%, I think.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The problem I'm running into with our logs is it gets

Jan 19, 2021, 8:40 AM [ in reply to Mine is 63, even with the gas logs. They seem to ]

hot as #### in the living room and kitchen which are the closest rooms to the logs. But the bathrooms and bedrooms are cold as ice.

I even turn on the HVAC fan to get some air flow and the ceiling fans. Still cold. Can't get it to evenly heat the house.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

That's pretty normal

Jan 19, 2021, 8:49 AM

Heat rises. It doesn't get into bed with your wife like the state trooper.

mine too. I'm trying to go thru the winter without

Jan 19, 2021, 8:31 AM [ in reply to If it makes you feel better, my house is ]

turning on the central heat, no reason other than just to see if I can do it (plus to solve global warming LOL). OK so far, hasn't been tough, just have to dress appropriately.

I have a small space heater in the bathroom that I use every morning. Have a fireplace if I need it, but only used it a couple times so far. No other heat source. I think 54 is the coldest its been in my house so far.

Haven't turned on the HVAC in 5 summers now, so though I'd try the reverse and not use heat this year. It's not that tough if you have the proper mindset.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ok Little House on the Prairie***

Jan 19, 2021, 8:32 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

if you have a properly designed house

Jan 19, 2021, 9:04 AM

you shouldn't need heat or AC but a few days a year in SC. We have nearly a perfect climate in the Upstate. In Columbia and south, that's probably different (esp in summer). My house is built into the side of a hill with proper sun orientation and it stays comfortable just about year round, especially on the bottom floor. Never gets over 80 even on the hottest of days.

You folks living in a HOA house on a treeless lot, well you got self-induced issues.

Ok, Frodo

Jan 19, 2021, 9:10 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Woah... no AC in the summer?? Where do you live???***

Jan 19, 2021, 8:56 AM [ in reply to mine too. I'm trying to go thru the winter without ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A drunk will run a STOP sign, but a stoner will wait for it to turn green.

Re: Woah... no AC in the summer?? Where do you live???***

Jan 19, 2021, 9:15 AM

northern Oconee County.

After growing up in the Lowcountry near Beaufort, I find it never gets hot/humid up here. Ever.

Yeah. Proper mindset and be a single male. There is zero

Jan 19, 2021, 8:57 AM [ in reply to mine too. I'm trying to go thru the winter without ]

chance you have other humans living in your house.

I had my eco set at 62. Problem is when I get home

Jan 19, 2021, 8:38 AM [ in reply to If it makes you feel better, my house is ]

it turns on aux heat (heat strips) which pulls so much current I end up spending more money.

So now when we are home it's at 70, when it's on eco it's on 64. Something about a 6 degree swing doesn't set it on aux heat.

Look at the brightside

Jan 19, 2021, 8:08 AM

Think of all the money you're saving by not running the heat.

And sheenr prolly has pokies?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2zUrruKjDQ

3 things.

Jan 19, 2021, 8:10 AM

1. All that money will be eaten up when it works to get back to temperature and when I have to pay to fix it.

2. Probably, but she is at work so I cannot see them. Maybe her coworkers are loving it though.

3. Love that song, but somehow I missed the Killers until about 4 months ago. Really just discovered who they are.

topped 2 peaks in Pickens County

Jan 19, 2021, 8:09 AM

Buzzards Roost North and Cedar Creek Mountain

great views during the winter

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

Look at the brightside

Jan 19, 2021, 8:10 AM

Your wife still puts out. Make your own heat.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

MauldinT, where are you???

Tough situation there though, if she is currently banging

Jan 19, 2021, 8:11 AM

it aint me. She is at work.

If it makes you feel any better

Jan 19, 2021, 8:25 AM

Red was using the microwave yesterday and it tripped the breaker. We just replaced the breaker, ran new romex and installed a new 20 amp outlet in October of 2019 because the previous owner only had a 15 amp breaker for the microwave... and it was also running lights to the master bath.

She could not get the breaker to reset. Its a CAFCI breaker, so it has three stops on the switch. Apparently Red did not completely turn the breaker to the off position before trying to reset the breaker, so she just kept pushing from point B to C when in reality, it needed to go B to A to C.

So I am crying at work because electrical isn't cheap, but I thought I had an idea of what was happening. So I get home, try steps above, and it works.

Red also tried out her instapot for the first time last night. I had her read the instructions and give it a test run. She said she did both. In reality, she only gave it a test run and read half the instructions. So a meal that was only supposed to take 25 minutes in the instapot took an hour and a half because she missed the part that said, "for chili, natural pressure release should be utilized rather than venting". So while the meal was done, we had to wait another 45 minutes for the pressure release to drop.

Did you get permits for that electrical work?

Jan 19, 2021, 8:34 AM

Also, I read "I had her read the instructions" as if this doesn't normally happen? Is Red really just a beautiful man, cause men are who don't read instructions.

I believe permits were not required for the breaker switch

Jan 19, 2021, 8:38 AM

But when the electrical was changed for the furnace AND the bathroom... we had electrical permits. We even pointed out the 15 amp breaker to the inspector and he shrugged it off. So my faith in those money collectors went down even further.

I've got to get all of my electrical updated. In a few

Jan 19, 2021, 8:47 AM

spots some joker put in 3 prong but they aren't wired up right. I also don't understand why all the breakers aren't 100 amp. Can't really cost that much more, can it?

Because the breaker protects the conductor.

Jan 19, 2021, 8:50 AM

If you had 100A breakers on your #14 AWG conductor (for a 15A circuit), then it wouldn't trip and you would have a fire.

So you would have to have #4 AWG conductors on those 100A breakers (which are huger to the #14s), and you couldn't use 15/20A receptacles, and it would be stupid.

Message was edited by: soccerkrzy® - typo

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Re: Because the breaker protects the conductor.

Jan 19, 2021, 8:53 AM

Confused Solving GIF - Confused Solving Hangover - Discover & Share GIFs

i knew it was this gif before it loaded

Jan 19, 2021, 10:11 AM

if it wasn't, it would've been in this poast

Seems reasonable I reckon.

Jan 19, 2021, 8:55 AM [ in reply to Because the breaker protects the conductor. ]

The things that would need to cause the trip need to stop failing though.

Code doesn't require it to be a 20A circuit, but it is

Jan 19, 2021, 8:53 AM [ in reply to I believe permits were not required for the breaker switch ]

supposed to be a dedicated circuit.

But if you have a microwave that's over 1500W, then you probably want a 20A circuit.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah, we couldn't even pop popcorn

Jan 19, 2021, 9:14 AM

With the master lights being on the same breaker as the microwave. It wasn't fun.

You're lucky

Jan 19, 2021, 8:36 AM [ in reply to If it makes you feel any better ]

that I'm here with a solution to your chili problem.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Chili actually caused a riff in lounge snap

Jan 19, 2021, 8:40 AM

Apparently MauldinT® believes beans in chili is a filler.

I had taco chili last night. Shredded chicken, black beans, kidney beans, chili, corn, tomatoes, and taco seasoning

Sounds like it was worth the wait.

And remember, upsetting MauldinT® is America's pastime.

Chili without beans belongs on a hot dog.

Jan 19, 2021, 9:49 AM [ in reply to Chili actually caused a riff in lounge snap ]

hth

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thank you

Jan 19, 2021, 10:49 AM

Father G®. I dare you to disagree with this man, MauldinT®

To keep your breaker from tripping. HTH

Jan 19, 2021, 8:29 AM

Well, that's one way to keep a breaker from tripping. : OSHA

You're lucky

Jan 19, 2021, 8:33 AM

that I'm here with a solution for your heating issue.

https://commonsensehome.com/how-to-make-a-burn-barrel/

If Nest says that's ok, send them a bill.

Jan 19, 2021, 8:40 AM

Or, conversely, don't buy an overpriced, fancy internet "smart" thermostat. I really tried to sell myself on a Nest thermostat. Really did. But I'm still happy with my semi-fancy Honeywell programmable thermostats. I literally never touch them. And that's why I guess I can't see spending more for the Nest ones.

I bet that was a new Iphone too....amite?

SMHROTFLMAO

#Greenrlife

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There is no better feeling than laying on the couch

and changing the heat from your phone when the thermostat is 4 feet away from you.

Firstworldproblems***

Jan 19, 2021, 8:48 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

LOL, Tiggity coming in HOT today

Jan 19, 2021, 8:52 AM [ in reply to If Nest says that's ok, send them a bill. ]

You really are a saucy bitch this morning.

iPhone was new when I bought it, two years ago.

Nest was one of the few "learning" thermostats on the market when we got that. The Honeywell programmable ones were nice, had that at last house.

Thanks so much for your feedback though, it really brightened my day.

If you shake your head and roll on the floor at the same time, you may hurt yourself.

#Greenrlife

Juss keeping it reel. No offense meant.

Jan 19, 2021, 9:08 AM

Our heater died as well. Was the motor. But that's because it's ancient, like 8 years old and that's past middle age on new contractor-grade stuff. That was right after our dryer died. New heating element. Which was right after our water heater died (see first comment). Which was after our AC died in the summer. New coils, both units (under warranty thankfully). Our freezer tried to die in the spring, but I revitalized it by bypassing every safety warning possible. Garbage disposal died in the summer.

Stuff happens. Keep yer chin up and lol. Just keep on tossing those bilz.

Well that's one take to have.***

Jan 19, 2021, 8:55 AM [ in reply to If Nest says that's ok, send them a bill. ]

I program my thermostat and wife over rides it

Jan 19, 2021, 9:01 AM [ in reply to If Nest says that's ok, send them a bill. ]

just like the car. To her thermostats are useless.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's the point of the Nest, it learns those overrides and

Jan 19, 2021, 9:03 AM

adjusts its schedule.

A wife thermostat?

Jan 19, 2021, 9:15 AM [ in reply to I program my thermostat and wife over rides it ]

My buddy who is our automation engineer at the plant

Jan 19, 2021, 10:24 AM [ in reply to I program my thermostat and wife over rides it ]

did some sort of whole house automation and has a thermostat that will revert to its scheduled temperature 5 minutes after his wife goes and overrides it. She's happy, he's happy. I wish mine had that function. My way around it is to lock the touch screen and only have the app on my phone... It was hard at first, but now SarahAdidas actually comes to me and asks me to bump up or down the temperature. I have successfully traint her.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

S??? ????? ???? ??? ??????? ?????? ???? ??? ??????,
S??? ????? ?? ?? ???????? ???? ? ??????? ??? ????? ?????..

When the POS landlord at our old place finally

Jan 19, 2021, 9:09 AM [ in reply to If Nest says that's ok, send them a bill. ]

got the AC fixed they put in one of those Honeywells. That thing was awesome. I really liked not having to worry if adjusted it when leaving for work.

I am one of those who will use a 4 degree range to keep the power bill down. This summer wasn't as easy due to sitting in the house all day so I didn't want to go up to 77.

We keep ours 68-70 in winter

Jan 19, 2021, 9:20 AM

and 72-75 in the summer. And that's from years of trial and error with the wife/kids. One son is always cold. He'd rather it be 75-80 year round. Wife's opposite, she'd prefer 65 all year. All I want is whatever setting yields the least complaints. I think we've settled on this for a good 5-8 years now.

If it halps, i had issues w/ the common wires

Jan 19, 2021, 9:58 AM

and bad things happened relatively quickly...like within weeks.

AC dude had to basically 'create' a common wire coming off the unit with one of the unused wires in the strand

I can send you pigs if that helps.

and pics of the wiring, too, while I'm at it.

Professionals are coming out after lunch. Greenr aint

Jan 19, 2021, 10:55 AM

messing around with this. Hopefully the Common issues aren't issues for me. We shall know soon.

well, it was an easy (aka 'quick', aka 'cheap') fix

Jan 19, 2021, 10:58 AM

that prevented the same problems from re-occuring....granted, you prob have to fix whatever else is broked, first....

GRRRRRRRREEEEEEAAAATTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!***

Jan 19, 2021, 10:59 AM

Replies: 57
| visibility 481
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic