Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
High "Class Ranking" Is Overrated...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 3,386

High "Class Ranking" Is Overrated...

Dec 16, 2012, 8:10 PM

Look at the following chart ....

http://insider.espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/classrankings/_/class/2013/date/20121214

Many top recruits go to programs that are best, average ...

There are other schools, that get average/better then average recruits and do very well ie Stanford, Michigan State

Thus, what is better, having a group of INDIVIDUAL great athletes ... or a TEAM of GOOD athletes?

I say, give me a TEAM of GOOD Athletes any day ... how many of you played with "great" athletes that overall, hurt the team? aka the prima donna player, the highlight reel player, the guy who would do stupid stuff at the most important part of the game?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: High "Class Ranking" Is Overrated...

Dec 16, 2012, 8:17 PM

The same teams you see in the top 5-10 of the recruiting rankings every year are the same ones you see competing for national titles.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

its overrated when your ranking suck, it isn't when its good***

Dec 16, 2012, 8:18 PM

From a short-term perspective of fans, yes ... but

Dec 17, 2012, 11:18 AM

Bottom line ... the recruits have to produce on the field, or the court, or the diamond.

Their recruiting rankings go out the window as soon as the get to campus and have to prove their worth.

Before that time, no one can produce reliable "rankings" that accurately predict if or when that will happen.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: its overrated when your ranking suck, it isn't when its good***

Dec 20, 2012, 10:20 PM [ in reply to its overrated when your ranking suck, it isn't when its good*** ]

About the truest post on recruiting I have seen. True at any school.

What is the chart supposed to show?

Dec 16, 2012, 8:19 PM

Recruiting is an imperfect science, but if you charted it over a ten year period or so, teams that win big would be closer to the top than teams that do not.

Looking at one year really doesn't mean anything with all of the factors that affect who and how a team recruits.

I'm not 100% positive what it is you are trying to say, but

Dec 16, 2012, 8:47 PM

I think you are saying you'd rather have a bunch of "good" players as opposed to a bunch of "great" players. If I understand correctly, your reasoning is that great players don't play together as a team or give the effort or are as coachable as players who are not great, but are only "good".

I don't agree with that, and I don't think any football coaches do either. I don't think you can assume that "great" players are selfish, uncoachable prima-donnas. Some of them are for sure, but you try to figure that out in the recruiting process, before you make an offer or accept a commitment, then you take your chances. Your odds of being successful are much greater with a team full of studs than with a team full of "good" players, all else being equal. Yes, some coaches have had remarkable success with "good", not so highly regarded players, but rest assured, that wasn't by design; they would have had a team full of studs if they could have.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Your point has some merit

Dec 17, 2012, 6:34 AM

Oregon is an even better example of having a top notch program with less talent. Auburn this season was the opposite of that. Coaching and player development is as, or probably even more, important as talent. The ideal scenario however is to recruit top level talent, coach them well, and get them to buy into a "team first" mentality...ie Alabama.

it is when you're trying to justify a very low ranking

Dec 16, 2012, 10:18 PM

good try, but just face it..........our recruiting isn't going the way it should be

no it's not NSD yet, but there's lots of FIRMING up AND big gets that MUST be had in order to pull this class up to what people "expected" it to be about 4-5 months ago

Re: High "Class Ranking" Is Overrated...

Dec 16, 2012, 10:44 PM

To me talent and meeting needs stomps the star rating thing.

that's why college coaches make big money.

Dec 17, 2012, 6:55 AM

The ones that can take the players and turn them into a team, are the consistent winners. I can't stand Saban, but he has made all of his college stops into winners. His teams play as one, cohesive unit, not a bunch of individuals. (it also doesn't hurt that he has some of the top recruiting classes)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

All rankings are over-rated ...

Dec 17, 2012, 8:27 AM

Individual star rankings for specific recrutis ... team recruiting rankings ... weekly AP/Coaches polls ... best tailgate, loudest stadium, most good looking cheerleaders, most obnoxious fans ...

They're fun to contemplate, exciting to read, valuable for so-called "bragging rights", but in the end, they mean very little.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

While I do may not agree about the prima dona aspect

Dec 22, 2012, 12:17 AM

of top recruits, your point is somewhat valid in having a bunch of good players in a class as opposed to 1 or 2 great players.

If you get 2 five stars but the remainder of your class is 2 and 3 stars your class may be rated higher than a class that got 6 four stars and the rest 3 stars and a few 2 stars.

There is no denying the fact that the teams that are consistenly in the top 10 in recruiting are the ones competing for the NC on a regular basis.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 12
| visibility 3,386
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic