Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Old man would have been 86 today
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 1

Old man would have been 86 today

Apr 23, 2020, 9:40 AM
dad.jpg(99.1 K)

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Greatest Radio Voice of All-time!!!!

Apr 23, 2020, 9:47 AM

R.I.P. Mr. Phillips....

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Old man would have been 86 today

Apr 23, 2020, 9:49 AM

:(

Glad you have fond memories of your dad. It's a loss you never get over. Happy Birthday!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Your Dad's voice is a tie that will bind my Dad & I together

Apr 23, 2020, 9:53 AM

for all time.

So many lifetime memories.

Happy Birthday, JP ! ! !

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Except when he'd get ticked when he'd hang a

Apr 23, 2020, 9:58 AM

curveball and his son would take him deep in the backyard. Then that voice would #@%!% ??

That's good stuff right there.***

Apr 23, 2020, 11:57 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

I still love hearing his calls on YouTube and elsewhere

Apr 23, 2020, 10:11 AM

it's rare anyone has that type access to hear your long, dead, dad's voice. As a child having access to meet and associate with your sports heroes. But my memories will always be of him getting hone from the 6PM newscast on channel 4 in Greenville, and him skipping supper to pitch to all the neighborhood kids in the backyard; fishing under bridges on Lake Hartwell for crappie listening to west coast Indians games, listening to and seeing country music legends with him while he tried to sing along, watching him hit one of his few and far between good golf shots, being at a university party atop a hotel in Miami, Jan 1, 1982 and everyone smiling in disbelief at what just happened. Like with most with their dad's, different from what others may remember

Re: I still love hearing his calls on YouTube and elsewhere

Apr 23, 2020, 1:41 PM

Thanks for sharing that. You were truly blessed
To have him as a father. Truly, you were blessed.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes indeed***

Apr 23, 2020, 2:21 PM

Apr 23, 2020, 10:26 AM

He was unmatched. I remember him as a sportscaster in
Greenville. He was the best at that also. Sadly to say,
we will never have a voice like that at Clemson again,
at least not in the near future. We miss you, Jim.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hey Jeff, met your DaD late one night at radio station in G’ville..

Apr 23, 2020, 11:01 AM

when I was completing a commercial interior design & furnishings job which involved wall coverings for both levels.. a complete lobby overhaul with furniture, carpet & art as well as radio station’s manager’s office and conference room.

It was late evening, after your Dad Jim has finished his radio show (or maybe a TV gig next door at the TV station) and while I was hanging a collage of newly acquired sports related pics from Sports Illustrated I’d had customed framed.

he walked into the conference room unannounced and without mentioning a word about the new long conference table or chairs around it..

he walked over to the wall adorned with these sports pics, looked at them intently, asked where I’d found them..and then walked out without a word.

HaPpY Birthday JiM!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He was probably in a hurry to get to the

Apr 23, 2020, 11:40 AM

Zorba Lounge ??

Apr 23, 2020, 10:45 AM

I lived far away from Clemson back in the 1980's. Your dad was indeed my "voice" of Clemson sports as I could pick up the games on a small radio station in Whiteville, NC. I moved to Anderson in 1992 and met your dad on the putting green at Cobb's Glen. He was a class act.

Played many a round there with him***

Apr 23, 2020, 11:41 AM

Apr 23, 2020, 11:15 AM

only met your dad a couple times in person and talked to him on the call in show a couple. very nice man. I was always in awe of what he did and how well he did it. he was a class act

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He was a man of the people

Apr 23, 2020, 11:42 AM

which is why so many remember him fondly in addition to the anoouncing

Apr 23, 2020, 11:53 AM

I remember riding around with my dad on the mail route every Saturday. He paid me $2, a drink and a pack of four-corner nabs. We would listen to your dad on an AM station, out of Bennettsville (I think).
Specifically remember the 81 game vs. the Tar Heels.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was at that game, Mo FO - right in the middle of the Ram's

Apr 23, 2020, 12:04 PM

Club - a snot nosed little kid wearing all orange as a guest of some high-browed classmate who's Dad owned a hot shot insurance company in Burlington.

I took a radio with me & listened to JP call the game. ANYBODY but Woody Durham . . . . but JP was HOME to me.

I won $20 off the classmate - I was the richest person in the world and MY TIGERS had just beaten my most disliked bunch of crybaby, arrogant associates I knew.

I had to take SAT's that day or would have been there

Apr 23, 2020, 12:22 PM [ in reply to Re: Old man would have been 86 today ]

got out in time to hear Jeff Bryant recover that late fumble ??

Apr 23, 2020, 12:01 PM

I can still remember him during basketball games occasionally mentioning that a particular ref was letting his inner redneck out. Loved that! :)

I'm guessing Lennie Wirtz, Hank Nichols

Apr 23, 2020, 12:24 PM

Or Dan Wooldridge ??

Apr 23, 2020, 12:05 PM

Jim Phillips was the ultimate sports broadcaster. Many do not know of his talents. One game that stands out so much to me was his broadcast of the 1979 Football game against Notre Dame. We were attempting to mend a fence and listen to his saying on the radio - "It's all over Tigers win".

My favorite football call of his all time is from that game

Apr 23, 2020, 12:26 PM

Billy Lott's keeper for a TD. Absolutely perfect, staccato play-by-play call ??

here is that call...

Apr 23, 2020, 4:51 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsQSN6gnJW4

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A drunk will run a STOP sign, but a stoner will wait for it to turn green.

That is play-by-play perfection

Apr 23, 2020, 7:38 PM

Great inflection, great excitement, right on the tempo of the play. He was 45 then. Had perfected the craft after 25 years of doing it. Those years between 40-60 are really peak for a broadcaster

Apr 23, 2020, 12:10 PM

We miss him!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Oh Jeff, not to get too personal but what did you think of your Dad’s toupee..

Apr 23, 2020, 1:02 PM

since my Dad also went that route for awhile..but eventually went back all naturel.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He despised it. Channel 4 made him wear it

Apr 23, 2020, 1:31 PM

Once they canned him in the early 80's you never saw it again

Loved listening to your Dad! I grew up listening to him on

Apr 23, 2020, 7:59 PM

our radio and I just loved him bringing the game to life for my family! We might be cutting fire wood in the woods or just doing some chores around the house but we were always listening if our Tigers were playing! How blessed you are to have had him for a father! RIP JP!!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 28
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic