Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Why has Clemson always been
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 46
| visibility 1

Why has Clemson always been

Dec 15, 2016, 12:46 PM

satisfied with H.S. caliber football announcers? Clemson has never had a good football announcer. Jim Phillips was actually a pretty good basketball announcer but very poor in football.

If you've ever listened to Larry Munson(UGA), Gene Deckerhoff(FSU), John Forney(Bama), Al Ciraldo(GT), John Ferguson(LSU), or Jim Fyffee (Auburn), you know exactly what I mean.

I mean it was a pleasure to listen to biased Larry Munson when we played UGA in the 70s and 80s before all the games were on television. At least he told exactly where the football was and how much to go for a 1st down. That's all you really need.

Also, the color guys have always been awful also. Most haven't been able to speak very well other than Will Merritt who would never shut up, and the sideline guys are always even worse.

A football program with "Best is the Standard," should have a more capable announcing team.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You watch your mouth when you talk about Jim Phillips***

Dec 15, 2016, 12:48 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great Tiger, who was a terrible football announcer.***

Dec 15, 2016, 12:50 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

he was only bad the last couple of years, he was great in

Dec 15, 2016, 1:11 PM

the 70's and 80's...the call he made when Obed kicked the record setting FG to beat UVA in 80 was awesome

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He's always been great. My greatest memories have Jim's

Dec 15, 2016, 1:18 PM

voice. He was the "John Williams" of my fondest memories, especially early on.

I started listening to him in the late 60s I think. He was

Dec 15, 2016, 1:34 PM [ in reply to he was only bad the last couple of years, he was great in ]

never very good in football, though, better in basketball.

There was nothing terrible about Jim Phillips.***

Dec 15, 2016, 9:28 PM [ in reply to Great Tiger, who was a terrible football announcer.*** ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My take...

Dec 15, 2016, 12:51 PM

I think Jim Phillips was awesome

I think Pete, who got a raw deal, was better than Don.

Will Merritt was a pretty good color guy.

Rodney Williams is a terrible color guy and his post game interviews are even worse.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Jim Phillips was the voice of Clemson football for 25+ years

Dec 15, 2016, 1:05 PM

and his voice "painted the scene" for numerous away and sometimes home games for my generation.

He was respected in the field and when he passed, Clemson lost a true broadcast treasure. We have been in the wilderness ever since.

I dare you not to be excited by Phillips calls like the 1986 kick at UGA. Classic! See:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ANPUKktj6I

GO TIGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Message was edited by: AThomas®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

But he was amiss at telling you where the ball was on the

Dec 15, 2016, 1:10 PM

field, how much was gained on each play, and how much to go for a first down.

I guess when comparing him to Bob Fulton I really

Dec 15, 2016, 1:11 PM

thought JP was good at that. Sometimes Fulton described a play that sounded like to went 20 yards before he says it gained 2. Then he would not say where they were.

Anyway, to each his own opinion.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Fulton: "Everyone is walking backwards. What was the

Dec 15, 2016, 1:50 PM

penalty, Tommy?" Tommy: It's halftime, Bob. The team is going to the locker room."

Agree with you 100% on that. Fulton made every coot run sound like

Dec 15, 2016, 9:27 PM [ in reply to I guess when comparing him to Bob Fulton I really ]

it went for at least 10 yards. "Rogers gets the ball, darts to his right, side-steps two tacklers and makes it back to the line of scrimmage" :)

Message was edited by: longtallsam®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: But he was amiss at telling you where the ball was on the

Dec 15, 2016, 9:27 PM [ in reply to But he was amiss at telling you where the ball was on the ]

Jim Phillips was a very good baseball announcer.

I missed Phillips call of the 1986 kick at UGa...

Dec 15, 2016, 1:11 PM [ in reply to Jim Phillips was the voice of Clemson football for 25+ years ]

That was my first year as a grad student and I was at the game.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Me too but I have listened to it since as well as watched

Dec 15, 2016, 1:13 PM

the ABC broadcast. Sat in the Clemson end-zone at UGA-student's tickets. That game was one of the best away games ever!

this was my very first game

Dec 15, 2016, 8:49 PM [ in reply to I missed Phillips call of the 1986 kick at UGa... ]

Tigrjm76 took me to my very first game in the Valley ... and Ive never looked back.

Jim Phillips . . . Great announcer.

Dec 15, 2016, 3:03 PM [ in reply to My take... ]

Pete, outside of "There's orange in the end zone" (blecchhh) was good.

Will Merrit was a bombastic blowhard.

Rodney. Not an announcer.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: My take...

Dec 15, 2016, 7:00 PM [ in reply to My take... ]

"Dandy" Don is barely passable compared to Pete Yanity or Jim Philips in his prime. Munson cannot even pronounce "carolina" correctly! Munson does baseball decently at best. Our AD needs to see if our basketball announcer is available for football. He does an excellent game. Pete Yanity was given a bad deal and he called both sports quite well. Dabo may like Munson, but Clemson needs a better voice.

Palmer is an excellent sideline reporter. Personally I miss Will Merrit as color man. Rodney tries real hard, but there is no chemistry in the booth. Basketball is done well. No complaints there.

Go Tigers!

Larry Munson was a good/great announcer?

Dec 15, 2016, 1:24 PM

Good grief. His scratchy voice sounded like the typical "chain smoker". He was the ultimate UGA homer; if *anyone* deserves the title of H.S. announcer if would have to be Larry Munson. And if you ever listened to him during a georgia vs. Clemson game, he absolutely HATED Clemson....

Best college football radio announcer of all time. Google

Dec 15, 2016, 1:32 PM

it and see where his place in history is. Almost all college football announcers were/are homers.

...well, of course Munson was a great, colorful, homer....

Dec 15, 2016, 2:03 PM

...but that's not what i took him task on: he had a *terrible* radio voice, ask anyone who hires people to talk on the radio. He was also poor at "setting the table", meaning having the ability to help the listener "see" the field. Screaming "Lindsey Scott!" 15 times in a row is great theater but poor announcing. Entertaining? Sure, Munson was that, kind of like Gordon Solie in wrestling...

Re: ...well, of course Munson was a great, colorful, homer....

Dec 15, 2016, 3:50 PM

"So long from the sunshine state". Gordon Solie was the best.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em - The Webb Wilder credo

..agree 100% about Gordon Solie>>>>the Best....

Dec 15, 2016, 6:52 PM

"...a pier 6 brawl has broken out..."...

Glad you like him. I can't tolerate that raspy voice.***

Dec 15, 2016, 9:32 PM [ in reply to Best college football radio announcer of all time. Google ]

I tend to agree...

Dec 15, 2016, 1:35 PM [ in reply to Larry Munson was a good/great announcer? ]

I never though much of Munson and found him very boring and his voice too much. Maybe I just came in on the tail end of career and didn't hear his early stuff. Although, I don't mind him being a homer because I expect my school's announcer to be as such....maybe not over the top like a fan, but certainly not even kill like a TV guy.

Larry Munson was great. and very colorful.***

Dec 15, 2016, 1:42 PM [ in reply to Larry Munson was a good/great announcer? ]

Like others have said, Jim Phillips is a Clemson treasure,

Dec 15, 2016, 1:41 PM

and some of my favorite Clemson sports memories include his voice. However, I agree that he wasn't always the best (especially in his last few years) at giving you timely info like yardage gained, where the ball was spotted, time remaining in the quarter, score, etc.

I thought Yanity did a very professional job, and I don't have a problem with Munson.

Our color commentators have always lacked (as have our sideline reporters, although Michael Palmer has potential).

As much as I despite the Tar Holes, I always thought Woody Durham and Mick Mixon did an outstanding job calling a football game.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Yep, Woody was another good one as was his son, Wes at GT.***

Dec 15, 2016, 1:51 PM

Re: Yep, Woody was another good one as was his son, Wes at GT.***

Dec 15, 2016, 2:04 PM

I will always remember Woody Durham for one thing. I started listening to a UNC-FSU game in the mid 90s. When his pardoner commented about the great FSU team entrance, Durham said, "When you have seen those great Clemson teams of the 1980s run down that hill, that Indian on a horse ain't much." That was a classic I will always remember.

Re: Like others have said, Jim Phillips is a Clemson treasure,

Dec 15, 2016, 6:40 PM [ in reply to Like others have said, Jim Phillips is a Clemson treasure, ]

>However, I agree that he wasn't
> always the best at
> giving you timely info like yardage gained, where the
> ball was spotted, time remaining in the quarter,
> score, etc.

^This^

Re: Jimmy Coggins

Dec 15, 2016, 1:41 PM

Clemson has had a great football play by play man, but most on here were not alive to remember Jimmy Coggins. He was the Tigers' first announcer, and he was by far the best I have ever heard. Listening to him was almost as good as watching the game. You always knew where the ball was spotted; down and distance; which direction the Tigers were facing; and the players on the field by position. He could follow the ball, and you knew exactly what was happening. He was amazing, and his side kick, Ed Osborne, was good also.

I grew up listening to him and was spoiled. For some reason, Clemson and Coggins parted ways in the early 60s. His replacement was Gail Goodrich, and he was not very good. Then, Jim Phillips came along and was a vast improvement over Goodrich. We all loved Jim.

Bob Fulton was a gamecock homer, but a poor announcer. I only considered Larry Munson to be fair, and Al Ciraldo was terrible. He couldn't follow the ball. He would call a play, "It's a hand off to the fullback up the middle......and, and, and the pass is completed for a touchdown."

Those who never heard Jimmy Coggins missed the best ever. He was special.

Dec 15, 2016, 4:05 PM

I liked Jimmy too but there were a couple of guys before him in the early 40's. I don't know their names but one actually ran up down sidelines when the games were only on WAIM in Anderson.

Dec 15, 2016, 9:24 PM [ in reply to Re: Jimmy Coggins ]

I agree with you about Jimmy Coggins. He was easy to listen too. A good voice and play by play announcer too. I am remembering Bill Goodrich. I don't remember him being Gail Goodrich. Actually, we have had to listen to the crew who do the games now twice this year and really liked them. I like Rodney doing the color. He does not try to take over the conversation.

I was going to ask about Goodrich (I think it was Bill, not Gail)

Dec 15, 2016, 9:39 PM [ in reply to Re: Jimmy Coggins ]

Gail Goodrich was an all-american point guard at UCLA on their 1st national championship team. Anyway, didn't Bill Goodrich get fired for saying something profane on the air? Seems like I vaguely remember something.

Message was edited by: longtallsam®

Dec 15, 2016, 10:05 PM [ in reply to Re: Jimmy Coggins ]

I had the privilege of knowing both Jimmy Coggins and Ed Osborne. I was general sales manager at Ed's radio station in Union, SC for about 12 years, best man I ever worked for. After graduation Ed worked for Coach Howard for a few years in the football department. He had some great stories from those years. He and Jimmy were class individuals and 100% Clemson Tigers! I may be biased, but I do think they were Clemson's all-time best announcing team for football.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

FAIRWOODTIGER 67

I always thought Jim Phillips was much better at football

Dec 15, 2016, 9:26 AM

than basketball. He couldn't seem to keep up with basketball. There were stretches where the score changed but you wouldn't know it by listening to the radio.

Re: Why has Clemson always been

Dec 15, 2016, 2:05 PM

If you didn't enjoy Jim Phillips' football calls ...well then you just don't like football.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Re: Why has Clemson always been

Dec 15, 2016, 3:01 PM

please just shut up! This is all you have to complain about? By the way I think The Clemson radio broadcast does a fine job! Much better than you would!

We actually have very good announcers

Dec 15, 2016, 3:03 PM

If you have XM, listen to some other schools and then come back to Clemson. Our guys are very professional in comparison. Now are they Deckerhoff, or Durham when he was at GT...no. But they aren't anywhere close to the bottom.

Larry Munson may have been the voice of the Dogs, and entertaining to listen to, but he was a TERRIBLE broadcaster. No one that wants to be a professional play by play guy should emulate anything that Munson did.

Re: We actually have very good announcers

Dec 15, 2016, 3:56 PM

You are kidding aren't you? I do think Rodney does a good job but DM is just horrible. And the comment about Larry Munson is just wrong. The way you judge it is, when you listen you can see the game in your mind. DM = never for 1 second can I see it and LM = made it like you were there seeing it.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Exactly how many games have you called?***

Dec 15, 2016, 3:59 PM

always an awesome response

Dec 15, 2016, 9:34 PM

josephg

@josephg

Message was edited by: henry®

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Very poor in football?

Dec 15, 2016, 9:29 PM

Wrong!!!

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I stopped reading when you stated Will Merritt

Dec 15, 2016, 9:42 PM

could speak well....

Just Ell-Oh-Ell

For relaxing times, make it Suntory time

I hate to break it to you, but radio doesn't really matter these days.***

Dec 15, 2016, 9:57 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

But since you brought it up, listen to our basketball radio broadcast sometime.

Dec 15, 2016, 10:02 PM

Tony Castricone is outstanding. Very professional, well-spoken, and you always know what is happening on the court.

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Replies: 46
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic