Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Anyone in here have a road bike?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

Anyone in here have a road bike?

Dec 17, 2020, 2:20 PM

I have been riding road bikes since I was 13 years old. I just bought a tandem road bike for me and my wife. It has SunTour gear set (never even heard of SunTour before). I am going to totally overhaul the tandem and thinking of using Microshift shifters and cassette. Reviews indicate Microshift is just as reliable as and compatible with Shimano at a fraction of the cost. Anyone have experience with Microshift? If I went with Shimano upgrades it would far exceed what the bike would be worth.

TIA

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Anyone in here have a road bike?

Dec 17, 2020, 2:26 PM

I would think the bike would be worth whatever joy it brings you without grinding or mis-shifting.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Dec 17, 2020, 2:28 PM

Rule #1: My wife and I do no grinding ON the bike.

Dec 17, 2020, 2:34 PM

Ha. I hear ya.

But one of the best pieces of advice my father gave me was that quality is remembered long after price is forgotten.
I don't know bikes, but I've heard people like Microshift and they may or may not ghost shift on you.

I hope you enjoy using the bike.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Dec 17, 2020, 2:42 PM

+1 for your father's great advice.

Suntour has been around for decades...

Dec 17, 2020, 2:36 PM

The company started business in 1912 but didn't begin making derailers and sprockets for bikes until the 1950's.

At one time, they were one of the top producers of bike components until they filed bankruptcy in the late 80's or early 90's.

While still in operation, they're no longer a relevant player in the industry.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: Suntour has been around for decades...

Dec 17, 2020, 8:58 PM

Exactly, they were on Raleighs when I was a kid.

look at Fox***

Dec 17, 2020, 2:46 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 17, 2020, 3:10 PM

Suntour was on a lot of mid range road bikes in the 70's and 80's. I don't think that I have seen the brand on bikes in 30 years and don't know if they were bought out by another company or what. Back then I don't recall the high end Shimano components being around, it was Campagnolo on the high end and in the mid range there was Suntour for shifters and derailleurs.

I would agree with the other poster that as you get older things like getting a pleasurable ride without gears grinding is worth more than earlier in life.

i've bought several mountain bikes

Dec 17, 2020, 4:45 PM

and had friends /retaliative buy mountain bikes with Suntour front shocks. Many of the box store bikes have suntour shocks..

IF their gears are as good as their shocks.. throw that bike in the river right now.. out of spite.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Dec 17, 2020, 4:59 PM

If I remember right, Sun Tour is kind of a basic system. Works fine, probably give you a decent # of miles.

Been riding since '85, I'm currently riding a Trek Madone and with Shimano Ultegra group. I've got about 25k miles on them, done Mount Mitchell twice. I really don't know squat about Microshift, just wanted to brag about my bike riding.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 17, 2020, 6:46 PM

I like your style ..... a TU for you!

I've been riding since 2003 when my foot doctor said I had bone spurs on the backs of my heels and that I should find something else other than jogging. Since then I have done Mt. Mitchell seven times (*) and the Paris Roubaix twice (*).

** Actually never done wither one, but the 1/4 mile hill on my regular route has been done enough to equal those rides.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 17, 2020, 7:29 PM

If you're in the upstate, there are a couple of parts of the watershed ride that are worse than mt Mitchell.

Love to hear from other riders. Keep cranking!

You re doing all the cables and everything?

Dec 17, 2020, 5:16 PM

Nm

Re: You re doing all the cables and everything?

Dec 17, 2020, 5:19 PM

Yes

Re: You re doing all the cables and everything?

Dec 17, 2020, 5:27 PM

Worst case the cassette will wear out faster so you’re looking at a new chain, cassette and crank set/chain ring sooner than later

Mild use and not much climbing I doubt you would notice the difference

Dec 17, 2020, 6:40 PM

I have been riding a Lynskey titanium bike for about the last three years (carbon fiber Trek before that) with Shimano drive-train. I have had zero problems with the Shimano, so I really have no reason to change, but I have been looking at Microshift and it looks interesting. It is also compatible with Shimano. Let us know if you go with it as I would like to hear first hand from someone who tries it.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 17, 2020, 6:58 PM

Tandem bikes suck. JMO

Dec 17, 2020, 7:28 PM

Wife wants to ride with me and my son on our single bikes. She has a single but can’t keep up with us. Tandem allows us to ride at same speed.

Dec 17, 2020, 7:30 PM [ in reply to Re: Anyone in here have a road bike? ]

Tandom bikes are great to draft off of. If there is a good rider and stoker, they are FAST!

Dec 17, 2020, 7:32 PM

Yep. We use to have one. All is good except climbing. ???????

Dec 18, 2020, 6:38 AM

Ed Zachery, that's why the boss lady and I never got one. She was a heck of a stoker, but we didn't want to climb hills with it. Rode with a couple around Pumpkintown, on a tandem and they said the same.

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic