Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
What has happened to our golf program? 10 years ago we had
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

What has happened to our golf program? 10 years ago we had

Apr 20, 2012, 10:09 PM

one of the best programs in the country. For several years we were ranked #1 and favored to win it all before we did in 2003. I really thought we would have won a couple more after that. Since 2003 we have basically done nothing... including today.

http://www.golfstatresults.com/public/leaderboards/team/static/team2807.html

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Didn't we have Arnold Palmer's grandson commit to us?

Apr 20, 2012, 10:43 PM

Not that he's necessarily better than who we have, but is he still on our roster?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

uhhh.. that was Sam Saunders, left 2 or 3 years ago***

Apr 20, 2012, 10:52 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What has happened to our golf program? 10 years ago we had

Apr 20, 2012, 10:47 PM

Basically done nothing? really? Kyle Stanley won the Ben Hogan award. Golf is the program you're going to go after?

I'm sorry. Am I missing something? How many team

Apr 21, 2012, 3:34 PM

championships have we had since 2003?

Re: I'm sorry. Am I missing something? How many team

Apr 21, 2012, 8:33 PM

How many have we won in ANY sports since 2003?
Golf has one. Not many of our other sports do.
This is a ridiculous thread.

Apr 21, 2012, 6:46 PM [ in reply to Re: What has happened to our golf program? 10 years ago we had ]

I agree, of all the programs at Clemson, Golf is not the one to be complaining about. Clemson will always be competitive with golf and will compete for Championships. I could be wrong but I believe two top golfers are on there way to Clemson next year.

In regards to programs, I am more worried about Baseball and will need to see how this football season goes. But I'm wanting to question the Strength and Conditioning program.

We still have one of the best programs in the country

Apr 20, 2012, 10:57 PM

And the current team is young. Today we had a bad day because our #1/#2 players both performed significantly under their normal abilities (especially #2). We will rebound. I almost guarantee we will finish the ACC better than we are now - although today's bad day probably means we won't win it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Fire Penley? If he is the problem, fire him. If not, there

Apr 20, 2012, 10:58 PM

is nothing wrong. Seems to me that golf is like basketball minus the predictability. You have a very few athletes, so if a couple pan out (J Byrd, etc) you are golden, but if a few dont (Saunders, the Palmer grandson mentioned below), you struggle.

Penley is already in the Collegiate Golf Hall of Fame. The Masters had more Clemson players in it than any school except OK State. Nothing is wrong. Or fire Penley. Which do you choose?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Are you crazy

Apr 20, 2012, 11:10 PM

This team is one of the best in years and only has one senior. We had a bad day. That was reeves worst round all year. I still expect us to finish top 3 in the tournament and possibly win a regional. Out of the three tournaments they played at full strength the worst they finished was 2nd. Out of all the programs at clemson golf is the last one to worry about.

null

Re: Are you crazy

Apr 21, 2012, 4:14 PM

Yay for third place. Dude... I'm talking ACC championships, regional championships, national championships. How many we got? We were at the top. We didn't stay there.

Apr 21, 2012, 5:07 PM

Golf isn't as predictable as most of the other sports, unless you truly have a stud or two to carry you 100 percent of the time (Ricky Fowler, Jordan Spieth, Patrick Cantlay, Peter Uihlein).

Recently our guys haven't been as hot at the right time of the season as they need to be. But the stable of players has been unreal. Don't forget about Ben Martin as well who is on the Nationwide Tour this year and was on the PGA Tour last year.

Kyle Stanley was the runner-up in the NCAA Tournament in 2009.

In 2006, we finished 7th in the nation at the NCAA Tournament, and 5th in 2008.

To say we haven't done anything the last few years is nuts. Golf is the one program of ours that I don't think we should be complaining about even slightly.

Apr 20, 2012, 11:21 PM

Golf has won a Tournament this year. Judging them off one round in a tournament isnt very fair. Our #1 and 2 guys struggled a little today.

null

You miss watching the Masters much?***

Apr 20, 2012, 11:33 PM

Two words

Apr 21, 2012, 4:06 PM

Joey Batson!

Had a bad day yesterday but came back today to tie for 2nd

Apr 21, 2012, 5:10 PM

best score today -10. Currently in 4th place.

Apr 21, 2012, 5:11 PM

We have two freshmen starters and the #1 Junior in the country coming next year. Future looks bright. On the PGA tour Clemson has the longest streak of years with a win of any university.

Apr 21, 2012, 9:35 PM

FIRE THE COACH. That cures everything

Golf program is fine.

Apr 21, 2012, 9:56 PM

mebbe need to quench some overzealous fans

What has happened to Jacob Burger?

Apr 22, 2012, 12:27 AM

I have not heard his name all spring, and he was one of our most consistent players last year. Is he injured?

Apr 22, 2012, 12:51 AM

Not to be rude, but you obviously have no clue what you are talking about. Our golf program is one of the best in the nation. Find something else to complain about.

As far as the ACC tournament is concerned, Clemson has historically never played this course very well. It's not a big deal.

Thank you come again.

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic