Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
You learn something new everyday
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 408

You learn something new everyday

Jun 16, 2020, 10:31 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Silly me

Jun 16, 2020, 10:43 PM

I thought Al Gore created it.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You learn something new everyday

Jun 16, 2020, 10:50 PM

The Chinese are just laughing. He should go check out their wall. Built by union members paid an honest wage I’m sure.

In other news, at least 70% of Twitter users had

Jun 16, 2020, 11:02 PM

to turn to Google to remember who Tim Kaine was.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I googled him.

Jun 17, 2020, 12:16 AM

Even google was like “hang on, lemme google him”.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

us virginians sadly know***

Jun 17, 2020, 3:17 PM [ in reply to In other news, at least 70% of Twitter users had ]

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Maybe I'm a "woke Twitter moran,"

Jun 17, 2020, 6:11 AM

But I think I get what he's trying to say.

I mean, is this paragraph incorrect?

"“The first African Americans sent into the English colonies came to Point Comfort in 1619. They were slaves, they had been captured against their will, but they landed in colonies that didn’t have slavery — there were no laws about slavery in the colonies at that time,” Kaine explained. “The United States didn’t inherit slavery from anybody. We created it. It got created by the Virginia General Assembly and the legislatures of other states. It got created by the court systems in colonial America that enforced fugitive slave laws.”

If that is historically correct, then I think his assertion is sound, albeit nuanced.

Not the kind of point that is properly

Jun 17, 2020, 6:14 AM

communicated via a one-sentence headline, of course. It's the kind of statement that requires immediate detailed explanation, which it appears he gave.

Well...there was no

Jun 17, 2020, 6:26 AM

United States in 1619, so...'guidance' came from elsewhere for the purposes of said guidance. Bad parenting, would be my guess.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah, I'm not saying I agree with Kaine...

Jun 17, 2020, 6:28 AM

but it's a disagreement over historical analysis, not over historical fact.

He said "colonial America."***

Jun 17, 2020, 8:12 AM [ in reply to Well...there was no ]

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Falsehood flies, and truth comes limping after it, so that when men come to be undeceived, it is too late; the jest is over, and the tale hath had its effect: like a man, who hath thought of a good repartee when the discourse is changed, or the company parted; or like a physician, who hath found out an infallible medicine, after the patient is dead.
- Jonathan Swift

Still not really correct

Jun 17, 2020, 3:16 PM

It's correct to say that the specific kind of slavery that eventually became a fact of life in the first 80 years of the USA was an invented in the USA, but it's kind of tautological to say that "American slavery was invented by Americans." Clearly, slavery wasn't invented by colonial Americans or official Americans. It was an idea they picked up from the air around them, and from history, and that they used as a means to build a colony that they couldn't have built with the population they had at the time.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Actually, that isn't correct

Jun 17, 2020, 3:09 PM [ in reply to Maybe I'm a "woke Twitter moran," ]

The first Africans brought to the English colonies were indentured servants, many of which eventually gained their freedom, and some of which eventually became slave owners themselves. But there had been slavery throughout all of history, including in the Americas. I'm not sure how it makes any sense to talk about laws about slavery pre-existing what most of us would recognize as law, though. Maybe the American form of slavery that eventually existed was invented in America, but Americans certainly didn't invent slavery.

This is obviously pretty one-sided, but here's a good discussion of a different point of view from the one Kaine seems to have on slavery: https://americanmind.org/audio/the-1619-project-exposed-a-special-edition-of-the-american-mind-podcast/

Message was edited by: camcgee®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 12
| visibility 408
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic