Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
After a few days of reflection on TxAM game . . .
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 3,041

After a few days of reflection on TxAM game . . .

Sep 12, 2018, 4:20 PM

My analysis hasn't change at all . . .

1. Pylon. Not 100% positive it was through the endzone, but I think it was. At the very least there's a distinct possibility that it at least crossed over the top of the pylon. Folks are acting like it was a lot more clear-cut (i.e. out) than it was.

2. What in *TARNATION* was going on with all the non-called holdings TxAM's OL committed on our DL. There were a truckload of them! They called *ONE.* Without those, Pylon-gate wouldn't have even mattered!

3. Dabo. Elliot. Scott. WHAT'RE YA DOIN'!?!?!?! Being conservative when you ought not be (the drive right after the pylon incident). It's not that you have to be risky - but there is a middle ground between uber-crazy-nutso-conservative on the one hand, and willy-nilly idiocy-level riskiness on the other. Gee whiz. . . And then you're NOT conservative when you SHOULD be!! 4th and 1 at the 1 up 14-3 just before the half, and you're getting the ball back in the second half - does anything here just undeniably scream that you definitely, absolutely, necessarily, MUST have 7 and not three? Does 17-3 with the 3rd Q kickoff coming to you just spell out "L-O-S-S" in big, huge, letters? If so, you need your head checked - or at least your logical faculties. With that three point cushion, the homestretch of that game wouldn't have been the life-shortening affair that it was. Good grief. Wake up and smell the coffee dudes - yall have been passing up perfectly helpful field goal opportunities for YEARS now in the name of "confidence," "aggressiveness" and all that nebulous garbage. Think situational. See that sometimes you're in the middle of snowballing effect in a game, if only you'll see it for that and help it along. Rome wasn't built in a day. 7 here, 3 there, three more there, and sooner or later the opponent realizes your foot is on his neck.

4. Technically this is somewhat repetitive but it bears repeating. #2 and #3 above - neither of them make sense in isolation, but they are even more problematic in combo. If you believe in being uber aggressive (to the point at which you'll purposely risk throwing 3 points down the crapper for no particularly good reason), then what happened to that aggression on the post-pylon drive when you needed to do something outside the box to get the first down? So, playing conservative is smart when it's unhelpful, but dumb when it's helpful? What? Conversely, if you like playing that conservative, then what business do you have not kicking that field goal before the half. There needs to be not only a consistent philosophy, but a well thought out one. This type of decision making is neither. Consistent doesn't mean one-size fits all, but good grief, think situationally!

That is all.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: After a few days of reflection on TxAM game . . .

Sep 12, 2018, 5:38 PM

My take is the same. There is no way this game should have been that close, there should have been no need for a pylon call, and right now we are not the #2 team in the country. That would be Alabama because right now I think Georgia is the best team in the country.
I have us #3 at best.

Sep 12, 2018, 5:57 PM

I wonder why they rushed the play on the goal line. Why didn't they use their time out and set the play up instead of rushing the jumbo package in there to beat the play clock. There is no reason they couldn't punch it from there.

Sep 12, 2018, 6:07 PM

The pylon and all the other means nothing . The very best the Aggies could do was tie the game. A few minutes later they had another chance and failed to do it. Bottom line..... Clemson made the plays when they HAD to and A&M did not. The officiating did not cost them a victory.
They caused themselves a chance to tie. Nothing more

Sep 12, 2018, 6:34 PM

So... Aggie here... I bid farewell a couple days ago and planned not to hang around (you know what they say about guests and fish....). But still lurking as I wanted to see what y’all were saying about the hurricane.

FWIW - I agree with the Clemson poster noting the whole “pylongate” crap is getting to be epic based on the simple logic that on the very next possession we had another chance and didn’t make the 2 pt conversion. The pylon matter didn’t matter... IF we made the pylon TD opportunity AND made the 2 pt then, we would have had to kickoff and Clemson would have easy ran out the clock to send it to OT. No difference.

What actually MADE a difference is the fact we missed two FGs. Make only one of those, we win. Pretty simple. Move on.... everyone...

And if its and buts were candy and nuts

Sep 12, 2018, 6:52 PM

We would not have fumbled on the TD try and made it - we get back 7 points for that and you get 6 for your 2 missed FGs.

Just messing with you.

I thought A&M had a better game plan, we played too conservative (not to lose) and while I will be rooting for you guys from here on out, I don't think Mond is going to make a whole game of spectacular throws like that again. I don't care if he turns into Peyton Manning. The football gods were smiling on him that night.

Sep 13, 2018, 12:19 PM [ in reply to Re: After a few days of reflection on TxAM game . . . ]

I've mentioned several times and most recently in my "IF" post we can't say A&M would have won if they had made a missed field goal. Had they made the field goal, every thing after that point would have been entirely different from what actually happened. That is just plain conjecture and most of us, including me, are guilty of this assumption.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 12, 2018, 6:59 PM

Well written. Kick that FG on the road all day long. Situational awareness seems to be missing. While we’re discussing, what’s up with the Renfrow pass into dangerous coverage? Is that to be considered an aggressive play? No, it took the ball out of the QB’s hands and kept a quality route runner with great hands in the backfield. Enough of the silliness on offense. Start calling plays that exploit the defense and put the ball in the hands of our talented skill players.

Good point about Renfrow . . .

Sep 13, 2018, 8:56 AM

that play gave me the nervous willies.

Re: Good point about Renfrow . . .

Sep 13, 2018, 11:30 AM

The most nerve-racking thing on the Renfrow play was it didn't fool anyone! No one was sold on him running it. We hardly ever (I would say never but I'm sure there's one or two contrary examples to be found) use Renfrow on a jet sweep or a reverse as a true run threat. So the CB and the FS were with KB2 the whole way. Chunk that ball at the camera guy and move on to the next play.

My general game analysis - I think we really were blind going in. Only vague ideas of a few plays and formations and groupings TxA&M would use. I sincerely hope the Aggies are able to hold their own and win a bunch of SEC-W games - being ranked would help our cause. But I'm afraid our game will provide some good footage for the other SEC teams to scout the Aggies going forward. Still though...talented team & smart coaches - maybe they have more tricks in the bag and can knock off some teams. For our sake and theirs, I hope so.

Re: After a few days of reflection on TxAM game . . .***

Sep 12, 2018, 7:00 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You correctly complain about being too conservative . . .

Sep 13, 2018, 10:16 AM

. . . on offense but then complain about going for the TD when 4th and goal at the 1. If we had kicked the field goal, you would now use that as evidence of how conservative we were.

I say that going for it was the right call, but we tried to rush it too fast. We weren't ready for some reason - maybe because we brought in the big boys.

We won and I'm happy!!! Now, let's get better.

Sep 13, 2018, 11:12 AM

Absolutely spot on!! Hopefully this is a wake up call. Get this play-calling on point and let all this talent show up on the scoreboard!! SHOW NO MERCY- GO TIGERS!!

Replies: 12
| visibility 3,041
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic