Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
DE development
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

DE development

Dec 17, 2019, 4:39 PM

Have our returning defensive ends took a step back in development from the previous season?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hmmmm

Dec 17, 2019, 4:48 PM

I would in no way say that they have taken a step back. We are starting a true frosh at NT and are showing a ton of different packages. Step back? No. Are you going to see a different look and a different emphasis when you lose Bryant, Cle, CW and Huggy Bear? Yes. But, the DEs are being asked to do things a little differently this year and the D is much more exotic than last year. BV plays to his strengths and there is a ton of youth on the DL.

https://apnews.com/5364aa3a3c0e40d99d0eb89ac0bc3ccd

Re: DE development

Dec 17, 2019, 5:35 PM

Definitely think they will be the key to having a successful playoff run

Dec 17, 2019, 6:10 PM

I think the biggest issue with the DEs is a lack of consistency at the position: Some are better against the run, others are better against the pass. None of them right now offer the "complete package" we became accustomed to over the last few years.

XT has all the potential in the world, but his lack of discipline has hurt him on the field and contributed to other guys getting snaps. He is so quick on his rush, but often over-pursues and loses containment. This is true both against the run and pass. He makes spectacular plays due to ability, but was a liability at certain points due to his lack of discipline in rush lanes and at the edge.

Hopefully they will all take a step forward, and maybe Murphy will come in and add some fuel to the fire.

Dec 17, 2019, 8:36 PM

To me XT is a little light in setting the edge or bull rushing...SO inconsistent in pressure and making plays on downs that are not obvious passing downs. Now when it is third and have to pass long for the offense he is wicked...especially for a slow QB.

Wouldn't call it a step back!

Dec 17, 2019, 8:47 PM

I think we have solid DE play! We have the potential to have "dominant DE play"! Right now, we have a above average group who are doing a nice job! No one guy has distinguished himself as "the man"! For all of them - that distinction is all out in front of them. If they are all okay with where they are; we will be okay! If one or two or more (greedy me) ramps it up a few notches we have guys who could be game wreckers!

KJ and XT were both 5 star guys who one would have hoped could have grabbed the reins firmly and become the type of 4 down player that don't leave the field. Injuries have slowed XT development for sure. Same for KJ(I believe). Nothing major - just nagging type injuries that prevent you from practice and such! Hopefully they healed up fully and are ready to separate themselves from the pack!

WE good at DE!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

5 of Our DE's played over 220 Snaps this year

Dec 17, 2019, 6:13 PM

Developing 5 at a time takes a little longer. also, some of you don't understand how a 3 man front works ?? LOL

Re: 5 of Our DE's played over 220 Snaps this year

Dec 17, 2019, 6:28 PM

Know exactly how a 3 man front works. You do realize we haven’t employed that strategy for several weeks now don’t you? LOL

Dec 17, 2019, 6:28 PM

I think they have done what they have been asked to do.

Good lord

Dec 17, 2019, 6:45 PM

You can’t even make a judgment on where our DE’s were last season because only XT played significant snaps and he was purely a pass rusher.

Starting to get nit picky on one of the best defenses in the country that had to replace the entire front.

Re: Good lord

Dec 17, 2019, 7:21 PM

i think its fair criticism. Our Defense emds haven't had many sacks this season. Something we've consistently been known for for years. Going all the way back to Da'quan Bowers, Vic beasley, deon Branch, malliciah goodman, Shaq Lawson, Kevin Dodd, Clelin Ferrell, Austin Bryant...Clemson has ALWAYS had elite Defensive end play under Dabo. This is the 1st year we haven't with him as Head coach.

You can’t just look at DE sack numbers

Dec 17, 2019, 8:50 PM

When trying to evaluate it. That’s what happens in a 3 man front your DE’s don’t get as many sacks as they open up opportunities for others.

Re: You can’t just look at DE sack numbers

Dec 17, 2019, 9:26 PM

We haven't done much 3 man front since week 3...I understand formations. We simply haven't gotten similar production to what we're used to.

Dec 17, 2019, 7:29 PM

Not a step Back...I just don't know if anyone's taken a step forward. XT is a pretty similar player to who he was this time last year. A quality starter with super star potential that doesn't seem to dominate like he's capable of. I think his pash rushing skills have to develop farther than his speed rush. Vic beasley had a epic spin move he could go to. Foster has been good not great, but that's honestly what I expected of him. Im not mad. Logan Rudolph kind of the same. Great motor, Plays pretty well but doesn't have gane wrecker ability from what he's showed. KJ Henry has got to have been the biggest disappointment so far. The mentality is perfect, but he still looks too skinny and honestly a little clumsy. I've noticed multiple times where he can get too the play but then not wrap up or fall or Just miss it over and over again...As a top 10 player he's got to show more next year...and mascoll is the odd man out. he seems no worse than anyone else. He just doesn't get the same snaps as them. Nothing good or bad to say about him. Defense is still great, but definitely a different group by dabo's standards.

Dec 17, 2019, 9:51 PM

Most of you guys fail to realize, we are playing a different scheme this year. It's A LOT different than our strategy last year.

Dec 17, 2019, 9:56 PM

Can we consistently bring pressure w/o relying on a blitz package, sacrificing #'s elsewhere? On 3rd down? Last year when XT was inserted on 3rd down, it seemed like a sack/qb pressure 90% of the time. Maybe the scheme change &/or lack of push are factors as well.

Dex & Christian Commanded DBL- Teams

Dec 17, 2019, 10:04 PM

Teams had to choose to either leave guards/centers alone with a couple of 1st rounders or take their chances with Bryant and Cle.

That's huge!

If teams aren't scared of blocking our guys one on one you can afford to not "out-think-your-blocking-scheme"! We talk DE - but the double teams we had commanded on the inside cannot be understated. Don't get me wrong - we are above good at DT. Solid just not outstanding like we have been!

Again - I am not saying it in terms of being good enough to beat Nancy St. I am thinking in terms of teams who have recruited similar talent. We are good! Very good in fact. But, we are missing those two guys who anchored the middle. T. Davis is doing a fantastic job as well as Nyles! I think Nyles was knicked up a bit all season which slowed him down some.

Again, knit-picking type thing. Not an the world is going to end type commentary. We are Good to Go!

Go Tigers!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Dex & Christian Commanded DBL- Teams

Dec 18, 2019, 12:03 AM

2020 class ? 4 U or anybody-Chances Myles Murphy doesn't outgrow 4-3 DE position? Probably before his sophomore year, no DE's in the 2020 class or 2019(none of note). Trenton Simpson?WDE

Dec 18, 2019, 1:42 AM

Its about what i expected it to be coming into the season. The UVA game was a little disappointing in how we couldnt get any pressure most of the game. You also have to consider that UVA was there 13th game, im sure none of those guys were 100% healthy. I expect with the time off we will see a better pass rush. I will say that KJ has been a little bit of a disappointment so far but i know it takes some guys longer than others at developing. But yes, this is probably the least productive DL in terms of sacks and TFL in the dabo era

Dec 18, 2019, 5:08 AM

At least KJ is just a RS frosh. He will develop into a stud just like so many others that took time. Clelin, Gaines Adams, Dodd, Beasley, etc. I am really hoping the light comes on next season.

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic