Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
50 years ago- Walter Reed - Nurses TLC with pic
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

50 years ago- Walter Reed - Nurses TLC with pic

Jan 8, 2021, 8:39 PM
thumbnail.jpeg(110.4 K)

Army nurses were the greatest. All of those on my ward were very attractive... and it wasn't just because of me not seeing anything but GI's for several months. I was probably the biggest flirt on the ward - asking one nurse if she would go for a walk along the Potomac that evening ( only to have her boyfriend show up the next day to ask if I had asked her out). Being in traction, I could not run away so I just told him he didn't have anything to worry about because she stood me up.I mastered the plaintive plea calling for the "Nurrrrrrrrssssssssse" to ask for back rubs and had so many that I think the skin on my back still oozes with whatever that lotion was that they used. They were truly wonderful women who could make life seem better regardless of injury. One had served in Vietnam in the hospital where half of my platoon was sent when the truck they were riding was turned into a fireball on the road between Hill 4-11 and Quang Ngai City - she said that was the worst incident she dealt with her entire time over there...... all of them died from their burns.And the student nurses.... that was even better.....

Message was edited by: clover65®

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Looks like you found Maj “Hot Lips” Houlihan!!!

Jan 8, 2021, 8:43 PM

Congratulations on a kiss WELL DESERVED!!!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Looks like you found Maj “Hot Lips” Houlihan!!!

Jan 8, 2021, 8:47 PM

This was the only nurse on the ward who was married and she actually would remind you of ol' Margaret. But I did enjoy that experience. ( And thankfully she wasn't one to kiss and tell so nobody showed up the next day.)

Re: Looks like you found Maj “Hot Lips” Houlihan!!!

Jan 9, 2021, 3:42 PM

Thank you for your service. However, to flaunt that you kissed the only married nurse and then a post a picture of her kissing you is disgusting. You wouldn’t appreciate someone writing the same about your wife and posting a picture of her kissing another man while married to you. I’m a millennial and am politically correct about everything, so maybe it’s just me.

Thank you for your service, you’re a braver man than me.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

C'mon man - this was 50 years ago and

Jan 9, 2021, 3:48 PM

since there was a photo made you should realize it was innocent. And after all these years can anyone even be identified ? Were you even serious?

You can’t be serious .......

Jan 10, 2021, 8:32 AM [ in reply to Re: Looks like you found Maj “Hot Lips” Houlihan!!! ]

You need to seriously check yourself.

Wow.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Re: You can’t be serious .......

Jan 10, 2021, 8:36 AM

Thank you sir - he had me feeling a little guilty. ( a little).

Uhhhhh - no. His response is 100% whacked. She is clearly in

Jan 10, 2021, 8:51 AM

the dominant position and had to know the picture was being taken.

Regardless - it was FIFTY years ago. Good Lord.

Carry on my Good Man, Clover !!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Re: 50 years ago- Walter Reed - Nurses TLC with pic

Jan 8, 2021, 9:41 PM

My mother was an Army nurse and served in Europe during WW2. She led an incredibly adventurous life but saw the terrible trauma and loss of life. She loved all her GI’s and knocked herself out to care for them, knowing some she may never see again. When they got word of KIA or MIA, she would personally write the family. She comforted many nurses who lost their fiancé. She finally married a soldier herself once stateside but then he went to Korea. She stayed home then and prayed for his safe return. Thankfully, despite a gunshot wound to the abdomen, he made it safely back or I wouldn’t be writing this. We never tired of hearing her amazing stories. Now we regret not writing them all down. By the time we realized what a treasure they were, she had lost her memory and passed not long after. Love you Mama!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You were certainly blessed to have

Jan 8, 2021, 9:48 PM

An army nurse for a mother- I met many and all were special

Re: You were certainly blessed to have

Jan 8, 2021, 11:06 PM

Thank you for your service Clover65!!!

Jan 9, 2021, 12:01 AM

Of course we had Navy nurses on our ward at the Naval hospital in Guam. It was kind of a love /hate relationship, as we loved them, but most of us who were ambulatory gave them so much grief we were pretty sure they hated us (deservedly so) ...... well, not really, but not sure they loved us either! We got to know then very well and we often acted like we were part of the of the medical team. We would go behind the nurses station (when no one was there) and read charts and mess with stuff, only to be chastised harshly by them when we were caught (which was a lot). What could they do to us ...... send us to Guam?

They also didn't appreciate us short-sheeting our fellow patients, especially new ones, or the time we moved every bed in every the room to the end of the hall into the recreation room. Most of our antics were done out of boredom, as most of us were anxious to get back to our units.

Occasionally we would have to tell the doctors that they had their uniform ribbons on backwards.

Jan 9, 2021, 7:15 AM

Those were real women in that day. Not many left in today’s society. I was lucky to have found one after lots of trial and error.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Love reading these. Thanks for sharing!!***

Jan 9, 2021, 8:20 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Love reading these. Thanks for sharing!!***

Jan 9, 2021, 9:28 AM

I’ll DITTO MyFO on this - not only is it great to read/hear these stories, I’m happy you can tell them ‘first person’!

And TigerSurvivor, your mom is still right here with us through you. What a wonderful person and awesome life lived.

Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one’s life for his friends. John 15:13

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Jan 9, 2021, 9:30 AM

Did you hook up with any of them? More than a kiss that is.

Jan 9, 2021, 2:46 PM

All I will say on that is ...... there was one very special lady in the group with whom I spent many hours with on and off the hospital grounds over her last three months she was there before being reassigned to another base- very sad day for me

Jan 9, 2021, 9:22 PM

Always enjoy your recollections. Looks like you had a pretty bad wound, glad you made it back. I would encourage everyone on TNET to join in honoring everyone who served and the 58 plus thousand who did not make it back, by making a generous donation to:

National Vietnam War Museum
c/o National Communications Center
P.O. Box 1875
Merrifield, VA 22116-8075

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 9, 2021, 10:46 PM

Did I miss the post about how you got injured? Looks, bad, but glad you made the best of it.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Been posted many times - I think you can see most

Jan 10, 2021, 8:26 AM

by clicking on my username and scrolling back over the past year or so to read old posts. Or easier that that - go there and click on Hall of Fame posts and lookout post from 9/28/20.

Message was edited by: clover65®

Jan 9, 2021, 10:55 PM

Wow ,65 , I want some that stuff you were on . By the way, that room looked a little like a room in the tin cans .

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic