Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
2021 - A Way Too Early Look Forward
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1

2021 - A Way Too Early Look Forward

Jan 9, 2021, 2:11 PM

It is hard to make an entirely sound prediction based on 2020. It was a weird year, early indications are that the weirdness will extend into 2021. Based on what I saw in 2020, and what we are losing heading into next season, I can’t escape the conclusion that 2021 is going to be a rebuilding year, perhaps similar to what Alabama had in 2019.

I hate Georgia. Beating them in football is the best feeling as a Tiger fan. But I don’t know if I can see that team that just got run over by Ohio State on both sides of the ball winning that game right out of gate. I don’t see Georgia beating us by three TDs, but right now I’m not confident about winning that game with a new starting QB whose OL is a HUGE ?? and whose best, most proven weapon is EJ Williams. Justyn Ross is an x-factor, but even if he comes back could he possibly return at 2018 form right away? As for Ladson and Ngata... ??? Who knows??

The Clemson defense was young in 2020, and at times they looked solid; at other times, against talented offenses they looked weak, confused and unprepared. Sure didn’t look like a bunch of well-coached 5-star athletes, to say the least. If we are relying on Nolan Turner to come back and be a difference maker, to me that spells trouble. I expect us to be better in 2021. How much better? That’s the $64,000 question.

Barring some virtually miraculous transformations at nearly every position group, I just don’t see the 2021 Tigers as a CFP team. I sincerely hope to be proven wrong.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 2021 - A Way Too Early Look Forward

Jan 9, 2021, 2:21 PM

I always like a tough early game. I think the team focuses better getting ready than if you play powderpuff U to start

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 9, 2021, 3:14 PM

I was concerned about this team when I saw the completely freeze up against TheCitadel. What a pitiful performance

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Huh???

Jan 9, 2021, 3:26 PM

Clemson can name the score against the Citadel. Not sure what your point you’re trying to make. I’m talking about our ability to get back to make it back to the college football playoff and be competitive at that level.

Jan 9, 2021, 4:48 PM [ in reply to Re: 2021 - A Way Too Early Look Forward ]

????????????????????????????????????????

Jan 9, 2021, 4:44 PM

D was young, losing TL Etienne, Rogers and Carmen is big,. But break it down by pos and don't think we miss playoff. Running back is my biggest ? but as always we reload.

Re: 2021 and UGA opener

Jan 10, 2021, 9:23 AM

Didn’t the old ball coach always say he liked playing Georgia early in the season; when all their best players were suspended.

The only concern I have is that we are typically a slow ‘starting’ team, getting better as the season progresses. I do believe we match up well with them talent wise, however. I think a key will be whether we get a good spring practice. That, combined with another solid off season weight program for the younger guys from this past year - and we were VERY young - I think will cure quite a bit of what hurt us this year.

Truthfully, outside of next year’s division schedule - where I don’t see a challenge - we have Pittsburgh (along with UGA and USuC). So, with another ACC championship (no challenge in either ACC division imo) at worst we would/should be a 12-1 (or undefeated) conference champion. I think a 7th straight CFP appearance is likely.

Lastly, I recall gloomily pondering the loss of Watson, Gallman, Williams, Lawson, Alexander and many more in the past. But we just ‘reloaded’ and kept on winning. So I say: Bring on 2021!

GO TIGERS!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Re: 2021 and UGA opener

Jan 10, 2021, 9:43 AM

You folks are overly impressed with the Ooglies. If Cincy players had made some bone-headed moves after the whistle, I do not believe the curs would have even been close. If we can do anywhere near as well as we did at South Bend, we should curb stomp whose whelps.

for “pondering”

Jan 10, 2021, 10:14 AM [ in reply to Re: 2021 and UGA opener ]

just covering the Rulz for you . . .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You are very optimistic...

Jan 10, 2021, 1:33 PM [ in reply to Re: 2021 and UGA opener ]

And that’s fine, but are we “reloading” on the OL? Seriously? Linebackers and safeties, corners... did you notice what Ohio State did to those guys?

If we are going to be competitive in the CFP in 2021 we have a LOT of work to do, a need for VAST improvement in key areas. I am most confident in our QB and our DL. I think we will be better on the DL in 2021 and DJU is going to be just fine IF he has a line that can protect him and some weapons to throw the ball to. Those are MAJOR question marks that we ain’t just “reloading”. And if you think we just show up and beat the ACC because we’re Clemson, remember that we got lucky to beat BC at home last season. Yes, that was DJ’s first shot, but we were down three scores at halftime... and that was on DJ alone.

Again, we got a LOT of work to do to get back to championship form. Anyone denying that didn’t understand what they saw in 2020.

Was NOT on DJU alone

Jan 10, 2021, 1:35 PM

Jan 10, 2021, 7:00 PM

I'm looking at it all this way. ETN's freshman year he hit a wall at the end of the season and I think some of that and a few nagging injuries contributed to the young defense running out of gas.

Secondly, we don't know everyone who had COVID before fall practice and even during the season due to the non-required reporting and a little thing called HIPPA (unless Dabo had their permission). The affect on conditioning is probably way more than we know unless you're an athlete and was positive.

I think the WRs will be better (and elite if Ross is back) and with McFadden and Parks, the rest of the existing OL, and the new recruits, the OL will gel into a good unit. RB is my biggest question as far as who wants to step up and take charge.

The D will have the experience from this year, get a couple pieces back and the biggest plus is that Venables is there and will have them breathing fire after the poor playoff performance.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 11
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic