Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Another school shooting
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 1

Another school shooting

Jan 22, 2013, 2:27 PM

This one is at a small college in Houston. Several people have apparently been shot.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There seems to be a common denominator with all these

Jan 22, 2013, 2:30 PM

shootings.....schools.

BAN SCHOOLS!!!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's crazy

Jan 22, 2013, 2:31 PM

What's going on with this world we live in today

There was also a shooting in Chicago

Jan 22, 2013, 2:35 PM

last week. There might have been one in NY or LA too for all we know.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sadly, the more media coverage, the greater the chance

Aug 1, 2021, 8:48 PM

that a copycat is inspired to reach for their chance go out in blazing glory.

I don't know what the answer is, but I do think we give far to much coverage/attention perpetrator ... exactly what most of them were after in the first place.

As I say, I don't have any easy suggestions on ways to put a lid on the visibility these sick individuals gain.

I just believe that if they thought that they would get absolutely no notoriety or recognition for their deed, they might decide to just kill themselves and leave all the innocent victims alone.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is what's happening...

Jan 22, 2013, 3:11 PM [ in reply to That's crazy ]

http://www.cchrint.org/school-shooters/

You are exactly right

Jan 22, 2013, 3:17 PM

All these people are on psychiatric drugs, which state on the label they can cause violent behavior. The shooter in the Colorado theater was on five of them.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This was a dispute between two people

Jan 22, 2013, 3:19 PM

The media is sensationalizing it to make it seem like a school shooting...

Well then, the answer is clear:

Jan 22, 2013, 3:27 PM [ in reply to You are exactly right ]

Our "leaders" in Washington need to ban psychiatric drugs, since they cause people to kill other people with firearms. They don't really help people stay alive.....just as firearms don't save lives every single day! lulz It's a great argument to tie up liberals like pigs waiting to get their sacks cut....and one they always lose. Logic.....like sense....is not as commonly used as it once was.

Yes. And here's why...

Jan 23, 2013, 7:57 AM [ in reply to You are exactly right ]

http://fromthetrenchesworldreport.com/schools-gets-up-to-1000-or-more-for-every-student-diagnosed-as-addadhd-heres-why/32356/

Wrong. That article conveniently avoided backing up the

Jan 23, 2013, 8:42 AM

Headline. There is no explanation of how they arrive at the $1,000 per diagnosis claim. The fact is, idea funding is very complicated and schools do not get reimbursed enough by the fed govt to cover their costs. They get nothing for 504 eligible students. Sorry the facts don't match the narrative here.

It's about as ridiculous as saying that psychiatric drugs are the problem when these people are literally insane to start with. Take everybody off their meds nationwide and see how you like the results and whether there are more crazy people doing crazy things.

1. Name one case in America where a student perpetrated a

Jan 23, 2013, 9:06 AM

mass shooting at school before "meds" were introduced to students?

2. Then explain to me why these shootings didn't happen back then (though guns were more accessible to children in those days) even though all these "crazy" students as you put it, weren't on "meds."

3. (After reasoning through 1 & 2) explain to yourself (because I already know) why so many more kids are "crazy" today then they were back then.

Mentally I'll and disabled were institutionalized.

Jan 23, 2013, 9:16 AM

Been to Bull street lately? Closed. Residential facilities are scarce and severely underfunded.

By the way, this might suffice for you, but something tells

Jan 23, 2013, 10:29 AM [ in reply to 1. Name one case in America where a student perpetrated a ]

me you'll find an adequate explanation that keeps intact your theory.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_school_shootings_in_the_United_States

Obviously you didn't read my post or wikipedias.

Jan 23, 2013, 10:59 AM

Read the stories. Before "meds" none of those shootings were "mass shootings" and most were perpetrated by adults who were jilted or fired. Most of the rest were simply accidents. For those three hundred years listed, there were only twenty or so perpetrated by students intentionally against students or adults.

• November 2, 1853: Louisville, Kentucky A student, Matthew Ward, bought a self-cocking pistol in the morning, went to school and killed schoolmaster Mr. Butler for excessively punishing his brother the day before. Even though he shot the schoolmaster point blank in front of his classmates, he was acquitted.[2]
• June 8, 1867: New York City Arthur Day, a 13 year old boy, brought a pistol loaded and capped, without the knowledge of his parents or school-teachers, to Public School No. 18 for the purpose of shooting a dog he said had bitten him. While playing with the pistol, Day accidentally shot and injured classmate Robert Morton.[5].
• December 22, 1868: Chattanooga, Tennessee A boy who refused to be whipped and left school, returned, with his brother and a friend, the next day to seek revenge on his teacher. Not finding the teacher at the school, they continued to his house, where a gun battle rang out, leaving three dead. Only the brother survived[6].
• December 27, 1890: Staunton, Virginia At the Kable's Military Academy a 15 yr old student, A.H. Hatheway was accidentally shot dead by his 17 yr old classmate James Whitworth as they were playing with an old pistol[15].
• July 21, 1903 Jackson, Kentucky at the Cave Run School, James Barrett and Mack Howard fought a duel with pistols over a card game killing each other. Another student James Vires, age 12, was also found shot in the abdomen while sitting at his desk.[25]
• December 20, 1907: Chico, California Arthur Roberts, aged 9 years, was shot in the head and killed during a military drill by the school children of the Dayton school district. The children, armed with old guns believed to be empty, aimed and pulled triggers. Instantly the Roberts boy, who had just emerged from the school building, threw his hands to his head and cried, "I'm shot."[32]
• August 16, 1910: Lexington, Kentucky A general fight broke out during school elections where Lewis Napier was shot and killed and several others hurt. Several were arrested[43].
• June 4, 1936: Bethlehem, Pennsylvania Wesley Clow shot and killed his Lehigh University English instructor, C. Wesley Phy. Clow went to Phy's office and demanded that Phy change his grade to a passing mark. Clow committed suicide after shooting Phy.[60]
• September 24, 1937: Toledo, Ohio 12-year-old Robert Snyder shot and wounded his principal, June Mapes, in her office at Arlington public school when she declined his request to call a classmate. He then fled the school grounds and shot and wounded himself.[62]
• October 2, 1942: New York City, New York Irwin Goodman, 36-year-old mathematics teacher at William J. Gaynor Junior High School, was shot and killed in the school corridor by a youth.[68][69]
• June 26, 1946: Brooklyn, New York A 15-year-old schoolboy who balked at turning over his pocket money to a gang of seven youths was shot in the chest in the basement of the Public School 147 annex of the Brooklyn High School for Automotive Trades.[71]
• December 24, 1948: New York City, New York A 14-year-old boy was fatally wounded by a shot from the .22-caliber rifle of a fellow student Robert Ross, 17. The youth was accidentley shot in the head when he chanced into range where Ross was target shooting near a lake on the school property.[75]
• March 11, 1949: New York City, New York A 16-year-old student at Stuyvesant High School was accidentally shot in the arm by a fellow student who was ‘showing off’ with a pistol in a classroom.[76]
• July 22, 1950: New York City, New York A 16-year-old boy was shot in the wrist and abdomen at the Public School 141 dance during an argument with a former classmate.[79]
• March 12, 1951: Union Mills, North Carolina Professor W. E. Sweatt, superintendent and teacher at the Alexander School, was shot to death by students Billy Ray Powell, 16, and Hugh Justice, 19. The assailants had been reprimanded by Sweatt, and they waited for him as he locked his office door.[80]
• April 9, 1952: New York City, New York A 15-year-old boarding school student shot a dean rather than relinquish pin-up pictures of girls in bathing suits.[83]
• October 2, 1953: Chicago, Illinois Patrick Colletta,14, was shot to death by Bernice Turner,14, in a classroom of Kelly High School. It was reported that after Turner refused to date Colletta he handed her the gun and dared her to pull the trigger, telling her that the gun was “only a toy.” A coroner’s jury later ruled that the shooting was an accident.[87]
• May 4, 1956: Prince George's County, Maryland 15-year-old student Billy Prevatte fatally shot one teacher and injured two others at Maryland Park Junior High School after he had been reprimanded from the school.[92]
• March 4, 1958: New York City, New York A 17-year-old student shot a boy in the Manual Training High School.[95]
• May 1, 1958: Massapequa, New York A 15-year-old high Massapequa High School freshman was shot and killed by a classmate in a washroom.[96]

More people died from bee stings in one year than died from "crazy" students needing "meds" over those 300 years.

First of all, there are lots of random or mass shootings on

Jan 23, 2013, 11:12 AM

the list that you seem not to notice. Assuming that any of those was resultant from psycho drugs as opposed to the underlying mental illness is believing what you want to.

There is no one reason chaotic things happen. There may be some instances where some type of drug interaction can be a cause for behavior, including homicidal behavior, however, acting like it is a primary cause without proof (using the kind of anecdotal evidence you've posted) is irresponsible.

It should would feel good if we could blame an entity that we already dislike (Governement/FDA/medical establishment) for some chaotic ill in society. Set up the convenient straw man of your choosing and knock him down with anecdotes.

Not everything that happens is a conspiracy.

Re: Wrong. That article conveniently avoided backing up the

Jan 23, 2013, 9:06 AM [ in reply to Wrong. That article conveniently avoided backing up the ]

Bloody well right.

Re: Another school shooting

Jan 23, 2013, 8:00 AM

Would you even classify this as a school shooting? Seems to me two people got into an argument and a shooting broke out.

Why try and make something up

Ask the redcoat...

Jan 23, 2013, 8:06 AM

http://www.infowars.com/piers-morgan-embellishes-gang-related-shootout-to-push-gun-control-agenda/

Further proof

Jan 23, 2013, 9:38 AM

Check out this link:

dubya dubya dubya dot thefringedoesthistocloudtheissue dot com

The NRA is also guilty of creating a wedge here, instead of building consensus. Believe it or not, there's some to be had. Fixing background check loopholes and increasing security in schools are two examples:

--

90% Want Gun Background Checks

By Kevin Spak, Newser Staff
Posted Jan 17, 2013 12:58 PM CST

(NEWSER) – Looks like President Obama was right when he said the majority of Americans support universal background checks for gun buyers—in a huge way. A whopping 90% of the public supports the idea, according to a new New York Times/CBS News poll, including 95% of Independents, 93% of Democrats, and 89% of Republicans. Even NRA members overwhelmingly supported the idea. Overall, only 7% said they actively opposed background checks.

The poll also indicates, however, that the public agrees with the NRA's proposal to protect schools with armed guards, with roughly three-quarters of respondents saying they would help prevent mass shootings to at least some degree, and only a quarter saying they would do little or nothing to help.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep. But they'll always do the ole "bait and switch."***

Jan 23, 2013, 10:31 AM

Re: Further proof

Jan 23, 2013, 10:33 AM [ in reply to Further proof ]

Do we not already do background checks? I haven't bought a gun in over 6 years. I don't remember what all I did, but I thought I had to do a background check.

Yes, but there are big loopholes.

Jan 23, 2013, 11:05 AM

The biggest being the private seller loophole, that includes gun show sales and the internet. No background check required.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not trying to argue, but every gun I've ever bought online

Jan 23, 2013, 11:50 AM

was subject to a background check. So far as gun shows go, if you are a dealer, you still have to perform the background check, whether at a gun show or not. Only private sellers are not required to make the checks. While I do think that at gun shows, all sales should be required to have background checks, I think it is ridiculous to require them for all private sells.

null

Re: Ask the redcoat...

Jan 23, 2013, 8:08 AM

Lets be honest. Both sides are "embellishing" their argument at this point.

Replies: 24
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic