Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Why was Wuhan China such a tourist magnet for Americans to visit..
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 1

Why was Wuhan China such a tourist magnet for Americans to visit..

Apr 4, 2020, 9:34 AM

and scores of these Americans brought the virus back to various parts of the US, it appears.

Saying..is it a tourist mecca, industrial province, etc?

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brother, why don't you pour us all one & type less?***

Apr 4, 2020, 9:36 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why was Wuhan China such a tourist magnet for Americans to visit..

Apr 4, 2020, 9:37 AM

I'd never vist there LBB , sounds to much like the " Whoo - Hoo " ... ain't it ?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

The woohoo's been spreading since the early '90s...

Apr 4, 2020, 9:38 AM

should have brought in the CDC when it first reared its ugly heads.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The woohoo's been spreading since the early '90s...

Apr 4, 2020, 9:39 AM

Center for Dumb Cheers ?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

That too.***

Apr 4, 2020, 9:40 AM

Apr 4, 2020, 9:42 AM [ in reply to The woohoo's been spreading since the early '90s... ]

The woohoo is far more insidious than the virus.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 4, 2020, 10:00 AM

Just sounds so dern weird to hear that ending of Tiger Rag amongst the 80,000 in Memorial stadium and all the other sports venues.Unfortunately it appears it will never go away and will last forever,which really does suck out loud.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 4, 2020, 9:39 AM

I read that it was a city kind of like Pittsburgh , steel manufacturing was king there but now its gone the tech route .
The size of the two cities is around the same in land area too , except Pitt is 1.4 million and Wuhan is 13 million .

DB23

Apr 4, 2020, 9:46 AM

Best wet markets in Asia.

Also best place in China for bat soup.

If we would bring back manufacturing to the US and stop

Apr 4, 2020, 10:09 AM

paying China to make all of our stuff the wet markets would dry up. No pun intended.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 4, 2020, 10:02 AM

What can I say. We just have some dumb Americans!

It's definitely not a tourist magnet. About the only two

Apr 4, 2020, 10:06 AM

things worth visiting there are the Yellow Crane Tower and East Lake. Although boat trips on the Yangtze between Chongqing and Shanghai may stop in Wuhan.

Huge city, very industrialized with lots of international companies, including many high tech ventures. And yes, lots of air pollution.

But some of the nicest people you'll ever meet -- and they love Americans.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Re: It's definitely not a tourist magnet. About the only two

Apr 4, 2020, 4:58 PM

Yeah, they love us to death.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the only good politician is a dead politician.

Apr 4, 2020, 10:07 AM

Business

Apr 4, 2020, 10:09 AM

Well duh... Since the Ebola break out it's been hard to find good fried monkey anywhere else!

Apr 4, 2020, 10:12 AM

I hear fried bat is to die for.

Thousands of Chinese business people were visiting...

Apr 4, 2020, 10:17 AM

...conventions in Vegas as late as February according to another TNet post.

IF true, the problem was not US tourist bringing it back to the US, it was Chinese visitors to the US.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 4, 2020, 11:27 AM

I am like you LB. I don’t understand why so many people want to go to China, Europe or other countries when we have so many great places to see in the United States. Especially after this COVirus we are going to as a United Country revitalize our economy. I know many parts of Europe and other countries are beautiful but there are many beautiful places in our own backyard.

If you have never been to Arizona it is a beautiful state so is our own great state of SC. One of our towns Edgefield has a very interesting history.

I did not know for sure but I believe most or many of our governors came from Edgefield. And also it use to be know as the murder capital of our country or SC. Not sure since which one it has been a while since I have researched that fact.

If you want to read a crazy but true story google “ Sue Logue” a former conquest of Storm Thurmond. This story involves Strom Thurmond and many others. one of those people is Clarence Bagwell who is a distant relative on my dad’s side of the family. All of this happened in Edgefield. Another great true story, google Becky Cotton another interesting story I believe occurred in downtown Edgefield. Once our travel restrictions are lifted it would be an interesting place for a nice weekend trip.

Everyone please stay safe and may God Protect you all as well as everyone in your families as well as everyone living being in the world. Please give the medical community the knowledge to conquer this virus. Please protect them as well. Amen

Message was edited by: wueagle86®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 4, 2020, 12:25 PM

Studying abroad in Germany (and thus having access to the European rail network) was the best decision I ever made at Clemson. Between learning a new language and being charged in-state tuition while my parents were still NC residents, it's easily the most formative time during my tenure at Clemson.

Yes there are amazing things to do here in the States, but before I had studied abroad, I had already been to 38 out 50 US States including Hawaii.

The big thing about Europe that we don't have here is the history. Living in a Medieval city like Bamberg gave a lot of perspective. The oldest colonial settlement in the continental United States (St. Augustine) was established in 1565. Bamberg Cathedral was built in 1012. And that's nowhere close to being the oldest building or structure in that city.

Seeing things like Cologne Cathedral, Hitler's Eagle's Nest in Berchtesgaden (had to do it after watching and reading Band of Brothers), and the Nazi Party Ground and Document Center in Nuremberg are unlike anything you can experience in the United States. If you're a history buff (I majored in history at CU), Europe is worth every penny to visit. And I didn't even make it to Greece or the Italian peninsula (just Sicily), so I didn't even see the greatest historic artifacts and ruins that Europe has to offer.

I do understand wariness around countries like China or others that are less developed. However, anyone who's actually been to Europe knows it's worth visiting at least once during your lifetime. It is the real deal.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 4, 2020, 1:35 PM

You make some great points, but after this pandemic is over we need to spend our dollars in the US to get our economy going and to save as many small businesses as possible. I would love to be able to see the world before I go but it is probably financially impossible unless I hit the lottery.

I have been to 10 states but most people have not had the opportunities you have had to visit 38 states as well as historical Europe. From documentaries I have watched about Germany , France, England and other European and Asian countries I would love to visit those areas. But if I have to choose due to finances I will choose the United States.

Have a great day and stay safe.

I agree with you

Apr 4, 2020, 1:59 PM [ in reply to Re: Why was Wuhan China such a tourist magnet for Americans to visit.. ]

I have been to 43 states now and studying abroad in Perugia Italy when I was at Clemson was one of the best things I could have done.

I do encourage anyone who has not been to the western US states to go out there. Really incredible stuff all around

Apr 4, 2020, 2:06 PM [ in reply to Re: Why was Wuhan China such a tourist magnet for Americans to visit.. ]

One of my Revolutionary war ancestors was from Edgefield.

Apr 4, 2020, 1:59 PM

I am responsible for about 25 manufacturing supply plants in that region. Wuhan area has multiple technology centers of strength. Wuhan is not a tourist destination, it is however a large smsa that produces a lot of sub components for larger assembly factories. Many westerners like myself have to go to that region multiple times per year.
My teams and I do worry about getting ill while there, but only from the standpoint that medical help there for the general population is not good. In order to get good care you must go to private hospital (best to get back to HK even for that.)
When you go to Guangzhou region, you generally flu into HK, then car service to your locations. I generally go for a week or two at a time. Shorter trips kill me due to the 17 hour flight from Dallas to HK.
The Chinese seldom grew up in the region they work. While the start of this was nov or early dec, the holidays of CNY (Chinese new year) - caused much of the spread. CNY is their primary holiday season. Workers travel back to their families homes, bringing the virus with them.
The other movement is that most of the educated workforce comes from HK. These managers travel back and forth daily or weekly. Expats also do the same. This also spread the virus.

Hope this explains it some.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wuhan was never a tourist magnet for Americans***

Apr 4, 2020, 2:12 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You apparently are unaware of how many Chinese live in US

Apr 4, 2020, 5:53 PM

The visitors are mostly Chinese visiting family or working in the US and visiting China on business. If you are a manufacturing, retail, distribution or tech company sourcing things in China you probably have hired native-speaking Chinese in the US who then travel back to work with your supply chain in China. Gotta speak the language and culture to be successful at that.

It was Chinese New Year

Apr 4, 2020, 6:28 PM

Basically Chinese Thanksgiving, Chinese people from all over the world go home to visit and celebrate with family. Millions of people go home to China from where they live for a couple weeks then go back home. Italy has a large Chinese population mostly centered around business, same as the US. These people left the US went to see grandma, celebrated, then came home.

It could not have been a worse time for it to happen. While many Americans travel to China all year, this is millions of people from around the globe

Apr 4, 2020, 7:29 PM

The Henry Kissinger/George Soros Globalism is close to destroying the Earth... If i had a time machine,1970 would have been the last time those two used up oxygen...And Patton and MacArthur were both correct...

Replies: 27
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic