Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Are we allowed to make critical comments about our lord
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

Are we allowed to make critical comments about our lord

Sep 14, 2020, 9:48 AM

and savior Brent Venables?

Guy obviously knows 1 million times more about football than anyone else here, but as terrifying as our secondary played Sat night I think it's time for him to stop blitzing LBs so often on 3rd downs and putting the DBs on an island, drop more guys into coverage and let the D-line get to the QB on their own.

Simmons was great at masking holes in the secondary and with no Terrell either I just think we are going to continue to give up big plays if we try to bring 7 on every 3rd down.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

COOT***

Sep 14, 2020, 9:53 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsonrulez08.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please forgive me, @IneligibleUser

Honest response:

Sep 14, 2020, 9:59 AM

Weren't some starting corners missing Saturday night? Could that explain the lapses in the secondary?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsonrulez08.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I also think it's first game and Wake...

Sep 14, 2020, 10:03 AM

and we are going to run some things and take chances...limited work and no spring because of covid. If there was a chance of losing the game, we probably wouldn't see some of that.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Are you allowed? Sure. Will it make you sound stupid?...

Sep 14, 2020, 9:54 AM

yes

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

with two starters out, I'm sure it made a difference. I'm

Sep 14, 2020, 9:58 AM

sure BV will adjust to defend the opponents accordingly. But if you want to make critical comments after ONE game and question BV, help yourself.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I had the same concerns...

Sep 14, 2020, 9:58 AM

However let's get our stating CBs back and let Skalski have a full game before going chicken little.

They did look suspect though.

We signed two 4 star safeties and a 4 star CB. Throw them to the wolves and see what happens.

If we continue doing so and the corners continue getting

Sep 14, 2020, 10:04 AM

beat without much pressure on the QB, we are fucked. If Kendrick & Goodrich come back and play like they should and Skalski plays like he should, we should probably be fine. Booth is a big name DB who got beat a few times too many Saturday night but really it was everyone. Hopefully we don't have many more people out in the secondary, especially for big games.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Only if you have exhausted all Tony E concerns first.

Sep 14, 2020, 10:04 AM

And you clearly haven’t.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You already covered that :)***

Sep 14, 2020, 10:37 AM

I think a lot of it is to test our secondary. We knew that

Sep 14, 2020, 10:07 AM

we could score 80 if we wanted to score 80. So let's try to baptize these young corners by fire and see how they respond.

Let's don't get to throwing out the baby with the bathwater

Sep 14, 2020, 10:11 AM

just yet.

I mean, we gave up 330 total yards, 37 on the ground from 34 attempts. WF was 5-18 on 3rd down, and 0-1 on 4th. WF Qbs combined to go 19-38 through the air. We also gave up a total of 3 points through 3 quarters, the final 10 points came by all accounts a bunch of 3rd string players.

We will be awfully tough to beat if we give up those types of stats.

Don't forget some cause and effect with our offense. Hi tempo and scoring puts the ball into the other team's offense a bit more than normal. It's hard to find teams throughout CFB history that are/were dominant on both sides of the ball. Dabo's commitment to build depth is also a contributing factor.

This post made me hard***

Sep 14, 2020, 10:15 AM

You're not factoring bad throws/drops by Wake WRs***

Sep 14, 2020, 10:40 AM [ in reply to Let's don't get to throwing out the baby with the bathwater ]

OH YEAH?

Sep 14, 2020, 11:36 AM

Well you aren't factoring in us missing starters. Nor mental errors.

And pretty much all offensive stats don't include bad throws, drops, etc.

We gone be fine fam.

Re: Are we allowed to make critical comments about our lord

Sep 14, 2020, 10:14 AM

He is just experimenting and seeing what the team's strengths and weaknesses are I bet. He has that luxury vs Wake. The team has been limited, so he can everyone everyone some work in various scenarios. The team doesn't even have to try until October 10th vs Miami maybe, but probably November 7th vs ND.

I have CDS cell number if you want to text him bout it.***

Sep 14, 2020, 10:19 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He knows what he's doing.

Sep 14, 2020, 10:23 AM

He literally built a position around Simmons. He builds players around positions too. He will do whatever is needed, with what we've got for him to work with.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Couple of things...

Sep 14, 2020, 10:24 AM

As mentioned, missing TWO starting corners and relied on youth. That's going to be a handicap every time. Youth takes a minute to get comfortable, and that typically doesn't come with a first game first-time start on both sides. They'll get coached up, get minutes in less critical moments, and be fine in the rotation by the end of the season.

The coaching staff spent all the time they had crafting a game plan once the revamped schedule was released...can't just scrap that because two starting corners are out. Venables is going to call the same game he would have called with a fully staffed defense. Pretty much every coach in the country would do the same.

We're at the point we lose impact players to the NFL every year. The defense is going to look and play different. Go back and watch the opener with Georgia Tech game last year...we didn't look like we were that dominant then either. The biggest improvement usually comes between game 1 and 2.

Finally...give Wake credit for a masterfully designed game plan for us. The slow read plays were brilliantly conceived. Dave Clawson is a dang good coach given the talent limitation a school like Wake has. They have a knack for finding guys that can do that like with Jim Grobe. Man I loved to watch a Wake game because his offense was so unique and fun to watch. Would not surprise me if Wake made it to a 5th consecutive bowl game this year, I think they'll give folks some fits. Doesn't hurt that they are 3 deep with QBs that looked comfortable against the #1 team in the nation.

Is this a championship level defense? Who knows. Talent is there, we'll see how much they gel going forward but if you're worried after Wake, you were probably a basket case against GT last year too, LOLUTZ.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

he's not fallable but when he does leave

Sep 14, 2020, 10:35 AM

it will be the slow decline of Clemson football imo.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I viewed it different.

Sep 14, 2020, 11:26 AM

We were short two corners and instead of adjusting to protect youth and inexperience he called a "next man up" gameplan and challenged them. Overall they played well, gained invaluable experience, and he's got film to use to caoch them.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hey

Sep 14, 2020, 11:37 AM

no

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic