Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
A Tiger fan & his labs
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 2,392

A Tiger fan & his labs

May 13, 2017, 12:36 AM

A little long, but if you have a Labrador or have had one this is for you. Most know my posts from the FB forum. I have been a Clemson fan since the early 80's.

I've had other breeds of dogs, their mostly all great. However since I was a young man ( years ago ) I have wanted a lab. My first Labrador I got was on my 21st birthday. Thoroughbred, her mother and father had won awards for field trials, etc. She has since passed, but it started with her that and 2 other labs in the past that took me on a mission one day ( years later ) to save a lab down in Florida in 2010 that was about to be put down. I was looking for another type of dog, I wanted to take home a Shepherd or some other breed. I don't know why, I guess I was just looking for any ol' dog that needed me. So, I thought to myself " there's no way I'll find another female black lab that I'll bond with in here". I was in for a surprise.

See, I've had all female black labs except for one female chocolate lab that I rescued many years ago that has since passed. I don't know why, but it has just always ended up that way. Black females. I would find out later on that black female Labradors are one of the most common breed in shelters. For many reasons, but mainly for a return. It's sad, but I won't get into the responsibility of taking care of a Labrador. They are just a unique breed, and are people dogs. They tend to also have a lot of energy those first 3 years, and on and on. You know, if you've read this far.

As I walked up down the outside shelter, yes outside, I heard all the dogs barking and just staring at me. While I wish I could have saved them all, I got back up to the front of the covered shelter.
The Lady who ran the shelter asked me " well, did you see one that you liked?"

I paused for a moment and stood there and said " well, let me see the black lab that was trying to climb the door to get to me ". She went back there and tied a leash around her neck. I took her outside and had gotten a ball from the front to see what I was getting into here.

As I looked her over, she looked like 100% field lab. Two types for those who don't know: Field lab or ( American Lab ) and English lab. Field labs tend to have longer snouts, English tend to have the box heads. Temperaments can vary, but generally a lab is a lab..

I tossed the ball into the corner of the yard and told her to go get it while pointing at it. She retrieved it right away. After 5th consecutive time, I knew I had a true Labrador retriever on my hands. I would name her Dixie at first, then change her name to Abby after I picked up her from getting spayed. I got her home and got acclimated with my new best friend. She is so smart. 4 years ago she tore her ACL ( called something else on a dog but same muscle ) and it devastated me. I was calling around for prices on surgery and it was through the roof. I could not imagine putting her down at such a young age, not to mention she had now won my heart.

Long story short, after meeting an outstanding Vet, and after two surgeries, she is now 9 years old & she is special. She now has a buddy, Lacy, another black lab that is 4 years old.

Abby, who I rescued from a " high kill " shelter in Florida 7 years ago is beginning to show her age.
I can't throw that ball until my arm hurts anymore, even though she wants me to " just one more time".
I can see it in her eyes. She was born to retrieve, and she and I have played ball over the years for many hours. Some hunt with their labs and build bonds that way which is great. Some need them for their eyes, and become best friends with a dog that teaches us a lot about ourselves. Abby for me is special in so many ways and I stated, she is very smart.

As I conclude, maybe someone has been thinking about getting a lab or another one at some point in time. I understand about losing them also. However, I have found that reward is much greater to have had a lab to have not have had one. But that's just me. It's even better when you know that this thoroughbred lab that so many brag on her coat, intelligence and posture over the years was once a cast off until that Fall day in 2010. It's amazing the number of thoroughbred Labradors you can find in the shelter, I just happened to find one that was not only %100, but had the personality to go with it. Whether you purchase or rescue, either way it is a joy. I will say though, being able to rescue one and have that appreciation for that gesture look you in the eye everyday and wag her tale is priceless.

ATech

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I could not have said it better.

May 13, 2017, 6:47 AM

Unfortunately I have my last lab right now.

Wifey is allergic and it'll be tough to sell her on another one.

I'll just have to be sneaky one day and bring another one home....wifey that is. ;)

Love my lab. She's an English lab, box head and all and is still all pup at 12 yrs young.

Just get a labradoodle

May 13, 2017, 7:37 AM

Great dogs and mostly hypoallergenic

Snowflake Basher........Out

Re: Just get a labradoodle

May 13, 2017, 9:08 AM

I"m getting a labradoodle next month. I have always had small dogs so this will be different for me. I have a big fenced back yard and I love to walk so I am not worried about the energy. My son has a beautiful chocolate lab who has stolen my heart. Just curious...where did you get your labradoodle?

Re: A Tiger fan & his labs

May 13, 2017, 7:59 AM

Great story! I have had 2 chocolate s and a yellow lab. I lost my last chocolate 15 months ago and have just started thinking about another! I saw a 3yr old small black female named Layla that stated me thinking about a young rescue. If you have experience with a good group please let me know.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 14, 2017, 12:14 AM

Appreciate the kinds words. I don't know of a group around here, sure there is one though. I'll look around and T mail you.

You'll be surprised at the ones you can find at a shelter. May have to look a while, but there's going to be one out there that needs you. Just great dogs, and I'm glad my OP could bring some joy to folks who have Labradors.

May 13, 2017, 9:24 AM

Good post. My buddy who lived next to my uncle had a black lab named Lacy who died a few years ago. Anyway, I use to work on my uncles race car as my job and his shop is right there at his house. So lacy use to walk down there everyday and hang out with me. She was a good dog. I really grew to love her and as she got older she mostly stayed in her yard and didn't walk much so I'd have to go see her. She was the perfect dog.

You Sir are a true "Dog Person" and

May 13, 2017, 11:40 AM

if you do not know what that is you probably never will.
I too have raised and trained four Labrador Retrievers
over the years. They are in my opinion the best tempered,
best family companions, one of the most intelligent, and loyal
breeds ever. I lost my last Lab "Zeke" several years ago.

Some of my fondest memories are walking, running and just being
with him on the beach at Isle of Palms when we lived in Mt. Pleasant.
I live in Florida now, no yard, and its just too hot here for a Lab.

Thank you for your post. It allowed me to reflect on my old best
friends.

We now have a Cairn Terrier, our second. Everyone should
have a Terrier once in life. They are really good dogs!

May 13, 2017, 2:28 PM
3539.jpeg(59.8 K)

My daughter has a black lab mix named Munch. I went to her house when I lost power to watch a Clemson football game and Munch ended up in my lap in the recliner against her wishes.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tiger Band 70-74

Replies: 8
| visibility 2,392
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic