Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Yikes i am not believing this. Winthrop is
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

Yikes i am not believing this. Winthrop is

Feb 4, 2020, 7:07 PM

rated higher than we are. How is that even possible? I remember it as a girls school that Clemson guys got dates at.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Class of ‘71. Went through “rat season” and glad I did.

Re: Yikes i am not believing this. Winthrop is

Feb 4, 2020, 7:11 PM

Then you really haven't been paying attention lately, have you ?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 4, 2020, 7:15 PM

To them or us.

Feb 4, 2020, 8:23 PM

Both

Feb 4, 2020, 7:28 PM

Winthrop has had a good program for about 15years now. They are widely considered a basketball school nowadays

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Kelsey earns almost $300K per year

Feb 4, 2020, 7:48 PM

with a small buyout. Makes sense.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Kelsey earns almost $300K per year

Feb 4, 2020, 7:53 PM

This is the guy I've wanted at Clemson for a couple of years. Great Xavier background and actually has a personality.

Feb 4, 2020, 8:04 PM

So we are accepting that a second rate girls school has out baketballed us?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 4, 2020, 8:35 PM

When you unclench and accept it the only pain is in the memories .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Feb 4, 2020, 9:51 PM [ in reply to Re: Yikes i am not believing this. Winthrop is ]

What makes them second rate? That is just a dumb statement!
Things do change.
I live in Conway , you would say Coastal Carolina is 2nd rage because they started small.
They now have over 10,000 students and they won a National championship in Baseball! There is nothing 2nd rate about either of these schools.

Feb 4, 2020, 8:24 PM

I thought that was common now...

Wake me up when Wintrhop beats Duke, UNC, Syracuse, and

Feb 4, 2020, 8:27 PM

NC ST all in the same month.

That's three of the winnigest 4 coaches taken down in a few weeks.

Keep sleeping if you think CBB has this program...

Feb 4, 2020, 8:32 PM

On solid ground. Yep, go ahead and extend him for twenty years and kiss being competitive on a consistent basis 'good bye'. Some on this board have their heads in the sand.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Keep sleeping if you think CBB has this program...

Feb 4, 2020, 8:37 PM

It's orange sand though , smartguy ;)

DB23

You’re right.

Feb 4, 2020, 8:50 PM [ in reply to Keep sleeping if you think CBB has this program... ]

Instead, we should focus on the “glory days” of Clemson basketball:

-Our best player ever, Skip Wise, obtained via illegal recruiting tactics in the 1970s. He reportedly used drugs in the locker room, and only stayed one year.
-Our only ACC regular season championship, in 1990, which was followed by a Sweet 16 appearance, later vacated (i.e., doesn’t count anymore) due to NCAA sanctions. Again, we cheated.
-Our three year NCAA run under Rick Barnes, who left us high and dry.
-Our three year NCAA run under Oliver Purnell, who also left us high and dry.

We’ve never been consistent in basketball on a regular basis. Prior to Brad, any (small) flashes of success have pretty much been due to cheating or coaches who weren’t devoted to Clemson.

The way some of you talk, our history gives us a right to expect consistent basketball success. But it doesn’t.

However, if you are saying that we should strive to be great at basketball DESPITE our pathetic basketball history, that’s great! I do too. As I’ve said for years, the key to making that happen isn’t trying to find a “young up and comer” who is hired for cheap, hope he is successful at Clemson, and hope he loves it enough to stay (i.e., a needle in a haystack). That has never worked for us in over 100 years of basketball.

Instead, it’s about truly supporting Clemson basketball on an administrative level by providing the facilities and staff our coach needs. In case you aren’t aware, Clemson historically spends far less on basketball than any other ACC school. Thinking we will build a sustainable program by getting marginal players to come to Clemson, solely because we are in the ACC and because Clemson is good at football, is completely idiotic. But that logic is why many of you continue to think we just need a different coach.

Clemson has never consistently done that, but starting a few years ago, Brad has had a much better level of support. I’m encouraged enough by what we’ve accomplished since then (Sweet 16, two 20
win seasons in a row, good recruiting class last year, and great recruiting class this year) that I think it’s fair to give Brad another couple of years to show what he can do with something closer to a more level playing field.

Continuing to view Brad’s tenure as simply “10 years” is the simpleton’s view.

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: You’re right.

Feb 4, 2020, 9:34 PM

You are ignoring the topic of the post. Who deserves the better basketball team? Clemson or Winthrop?

I’m not ignoring anything.

Feb 4, 2020, 9:58 PM

I was responding to the post above mine.

As for your question, I don’t know how to decide who “deserves” the better basketball team. Basketball is the most popular sport at Winthrop, and the second most popular at Clemson. The two programs have very different histories and are in very different conferences.

All I know is that basing rankings on a snapshot in time is foolish. We are in the middle of a season. You should wait until after the season, and ideally look at the last few seasons, before even considering making that evaluation.

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Feb 4, 2020, 10:01 PM [ in reply to You’re right. ]

Do you think we are another player to our class? Hopefully Hall is the real deal. 2 players tho and only ranked 35th isn't great imo but getting the number 1 out of SC is huge and 35th is solid for us in basketball.

Feb 4, 2020, 10:11 PM [ in reply to You’re right. ]

Great post. We run a good clean program and we need to get there the correct way. By not cheating!

Re: Wake me up when Wintrhop beats Duke, UNC, Syracuse, and

Feb 4, 2020, 9:31 PM [ in reply to Wake me up when Wintrhop beats Duke, UNC, Syracuse, and ]

Syracuse is an NiT team. UNC is one of the worst teams in the ACC.

Bobby Bowden, Joe Paterno, Steve Spurrier all lost a lot of games in the end they wouldn't have lost in their prime.

It's pretty simple. If he isnt fired at the end of the year, then most on here are correct and the administration really doesnt care about basketball

Re: Wake me up when Wintrhop beats Duke, UNC, Syracuse, and

Feb 4, 2020, 10:03 PM

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic