Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Season outlook: Will the offensive line be better this season?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

TNET: Season outlook: Will the offensive line be better this season?

Jul 9, 2018, 8:01 AM

Season outlook: Will the offensive line be better this season?

In this edition of our preseason roundtable discussion, the staff takes a look at the offensive line. If the Tigers are to achieve all of their goals, this group will have to play well. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good stuff but unless I missed it I didn’t see a mention

Jul 9, 2018, 8:11 AM

Of Jackson Carman. I know he’s only been here for the spring practice thus far. However, a 5 Star and especially one recruited that high is expected to immediately be a contributor. Is there just not enough familiarity with the playbook, are we waiting to see how he does in camp? I’m not expecting him to start by any means but would think that he should have some quality snaps for us. Do we want him to lose that 30 lbs? Any thoughts davidhood or Nikki?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Good stuff but unless I missed it I didn’t see a mention

Jul 9, 2018, 9:50 AM

Remember how he looked in the Spring game? He obviously needs a bunch of work. He just got here of course. Makes me realize how special Mitch Hyatt was as a true frosh.

It's Figgin Ta Get Nasty! For Our Opponents That Is

Jul 9, 2018, 8:56 AM

Can you imagine an improved Kelly Bryant or a beast like Trevor Lawrence under center with a deep and talented Offensive Line? Imagine how much more dangerous our RBs will be. Then you have a talented WR corps and TEs are deep as well. Holy Cow... It only gets worse for opponents when they have the ball. We may go undefeated this season if Clemson executes the way they're supposed to each and every game.

15-0 DREAM WITH ME BABY! GO TIGERS!

2024 free_orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Our country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any America because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race.

~Chesty Puller
Lt.General United States Marine Corps

Tight ends deep??

Jul 9, 2018, 10:29 AM

I'll have to disagree with you on that one. The complete lack of a tight end threat last year (blocking and receiving) was a major contributor to our anemic offensive performance. Thrilled to see Garrett Williams back this year but if he gets hurt or underperforms, we're screwed again. Not much behind him, and he's primarily a blocker.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: Season outlook: Will the offensive line be better this season?

Jul 9, 2018, 9:48 AM

I remember how most of thought Vinson was more of a project and that Dehond was next in line. It is great to see Vinson doing so well.

Jul 9, 2018, 10:36 AM

Curious as to why Dehond was not mentioned in the article. I was excited when he signed with us due to his frame size and style of play but heading into this upcoming season, I rarely hear his name mentioned and also see he is burried 3rd on the depth chart. I know it's not unusual for OL to need additional development on top of their RS season but I was hoping his size and raw talent alone would help him make a push for playing time.

Jul 9, 2018, 10:10 AM

That is the $24,000 question. I certainly hope so, but I've hoped for this for a long time. Let's cross our fingers and hope this year is the beginning of a new strength of our program. Get the OL performing at the level of our DL, and we will be almost unstoppable.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Numbers lie. And a good QB makes everyone better.

Jul 9, 2018, 11:04 AM

92nd in sacks? From 4th? Yeah, that’s not on the OLine.

KB is not a great QB. He doesn’t audible well. He doesn’t get rid of the ball. He’s not accurate. Oh, and our RBs sucked at pass protection.

Remember folks, that OLine manhandled Bama in 2016. Are we suppose to believe they just fell off in one year? I don’t think so.

Yup. A great deal of it falls at the feet of the

Jul 9, 2018, 11:53 AM

QB and RBs.

Wow, those sack statistics are sobering

Jul 9, 2018, 11:40 AM

Let's hope those improve significantly this season.

Elephant in the room is RT.

Jul 9, 2018, 12:09 PM

nm

I’m in the minority I know

Jul 9, 2018, 1:34 PM

But Hyatt didn’t impress me that much last season. He got beat a lot and nothing is more important in pass protection than the right tackle. I still believe that the absence of Williams last season was more important than many think.

Re: I’m in the minority I know

Jul 9, 2018, 2:09 PM

I though that Mitch played on the left side of the line.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes, on the left.***

Jul 9, 2018, 7:47 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hyatt did get beat a lot

Jul 9, 2018, 7:46 PM [ in reply to I’m in the minority I know ]

but so did the others on that OL. I could not understand why you would turn from a guy directly in front of you to go block someone else when that guy you ignored has a straight shot to the QB! I saw that a lot on the ALA game video. OL needs to improve their nastiness and technique a lot in order to be good. A lot of work to do but glad Hyatt came back to finish the job.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 11, 2018, 8:44 PM [ in reply to I’m in the minority I know ]

I've been following the game of football really closely for 50 years and I don't believe I've ever heard anyone say the RT is the most important player on the OL. It's always been the LT which is where you put your best lineman and Mitch Hyatt is Clemson's best OL.

Jul 19, 2018, 8:32 AM

You are correct...... unless you have a left-handed QB.

4 All-ACC predictions through 3rd team on our OL?

Jul 18, 2018, 8:59 PM

I can't recall a season where that's happened. These guys sound promising.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Our running backs all did very well in terms of YPC

Jul 19, 2018, 9:01 AM

and the OL graded out really well in adjusted line yards (3rd in the country) and stuff rate (27th). The problem, ironically, was that Kelly Bryant got over 1/3 of the entire team's carries (192 vs 107 for Feaster, 107 for Etienne, and 162 for everyone else combined) and he only averaged 3.5 YPC. That was about half of Feaster and ETN's combined average of 6.75 YPC. Despite his abilities, Bryant wasn't a particularly good runner last year. Maybe his volume of carries was necessary to open up other elements of the offense, but it seems like we would want to do more efficient things on at least some of those snaps like get the guy that averaged 7.2 YPC more touches.

The OL also struggled in sack rate (86th in the country) after finishing 2nd in that stat in 2016 and 8th in 2015. What's the major difference there? Deshaun Watson was a magician in the pocket and had incredible awareness. He just didn't get sacked very often - even when facing tons of pressure. Kelly Bryant has played A LOT less QB in his life and he just isn't nearly as far along in his development in that area. Bryant took a lot of sacks last year and many of them were plays where Watson just wouldn't have gotten sacked because he would've either gotten the ball out quicker or he would've felt the pressure. Now is it fair to compare Bryant to a guy like Watson? Probably not. But there's still plenty of room for improvement in that area. Finishing 86th in sack rate is just really bad... there's no other way to spin it.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ncaaol

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic