Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
50/50 passes from TL...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 1

50/50 passes from TL...

Jan 10, 2019, 11:56 AM

I've seen several write-ups/comments regarding TL's "average" passes that were made to look like great passes because of spectacular catches by Ross and Higgins.

My take on this is as follows: TL works constantly with this receiving corps, learning each receiver's strengths, capabilities, putting the ball where he believes that receiver can make the catch given the defender's coverage on that receiver.

Take the Ross one-handed catch.

In this case, TL's pass is leading Ross, such that Ross has to stretch out one-handed to stop the ball and pull it in. The back shoulder here would have hit the defender in the back of the helmet with perhaps an interception. Ross was too close to the sideline to probably have made the catch in bounds, and the defender again, would have had the upper hand to strip the ball. The pass was exactly what it should have been for the best odds at a completion, and it was.

A QB's success ALWAYS depends upon their receiver's ability to CATCH THE BALL. Great QBs have ALWAYS been surrounded by GREAT receivers that make spectacular catches that increase the QB's rating.

I'm not getting the minimization of TL's passing accuracy based upon the great catches by Higgins, Ross, & Renfrow, et al on the team.

Another example was the TD pass to Higgins in the end zone was SUPER high and with HIGH velocity. Only a receiver with Higgins height and reach, and knowing also the velocity of the ball, could have hauled in that pass.

Again, TL knowing his receiver's abilities, dictating his passes to each receiver for each situation.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

J. Marc Edwards
Cary, NC

Re: 50/50 passes from TL...

Jan 10, 2019, 12:01 PM

His 50/50 passes are not "50/50"...

It is more "65/0" as either our receiver makes the catch... but the other squad has no chance to intercept. Even DW4 had some issues with this but every ball TL tosses is 99.9999% free of an intercept chance.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes he throws some of what they call "50/50" but watch again

Jan 10, 2019, 12:09 PM

see how many he hits in stride. I think a lot of these so called "sports people" are just trying to find a flaw where there was none. Every game receivers make plays that make a QB look good and QB's make throws that make WR's look good. Clemson is lucky to have a great QB and a stable of great WR

Jan 10, 2019, 12:11 PM

Against Notre Dame, he threw about 5 perfect passes on go routes down the sideline. 2 of those were caught. The other 3 were dropped due primarily to uncalled PI. The 3rd touchdown pass was the last pass before half when Higgins made that unbelievable one handed catch, but TL had to keep the ball in the field of play. If he leads Higgins, the pass is likely out of the back of the end zone. He had to read the safety first to see which way he went and then let it rip. I just watched the coaches room version of that play and they called it a great pass.

Against Bama, the only pass that was maybe off target was the the one-handed, but again I watched the coaches film version. TL had to wait for Ross to run his route while the defensive line was bearing down on him. He waited until the last possible second, which was still before Ross made his cut, to throw it and was a millisecond from being hit when he released the ball. He threw it to an area that Ross could catch it. Again, the coaches room called it a great throw. Outside of 3 or 4 missed passes (out of 32), TL was absolutely on the money all night.

Any article you are reading that says otherwise is trash. However, I thought I had read everything about the game that is out there. I did not see any articles calling his passes average. Everything I read heaped praise on him. The only commentator I saw call it average was Joel Klatt, but that dude is garbage and has hated on Clemson all season. He knows as much about football as I do about cricket, which is a game I don’t understand at all.

Jan 10, 2019, 12:28 PM

One way to measure is QBR, which is ESPN going through every single play and assigning a score for the QB. It takes into account down and distance, the accuracy of the pass, sacks taken, fumbles, throw away, etc. A bad pass with a lucky catch doesn’t get a high score.

TL’s QBR for the playoff games were (highest possible score is 100 and never hit, so realistic 99.9):

Notre Dame - 90.9
Alabama - 98.2

These scores are incredible in a playoff game. By comparison, Deshaun Watson’s QBR was 91.4 in the 2016 national title game and 93.2 in the 2015 title game.

TL’s 50/50 passes are 80/20 HTH***

Jan 10, 2019, 12:14 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There was like one iffy throw all night that was actually a

Jan 10, 2019, 12:24 PM

completion and that was the ball thrown behind Ross where he made the spectacular one handed catch. But that wasn't even a "bad" throw. He got the ball off with heavy pressure right in his face and still managed to put it in a place where his WR, and only his WR, had a play on the ball.

The other throw to Ross right before that was a gorgeous throw right on the money over Ross' shoulder. The only reason that ended up being a 1-handed catch was because the CB was doing some serious hand fighting with Ross and he could only get 1 hand free to go up for the ball. It was borderline PI.

The throw to Tee in the back of the end zone was thrown absolutely perfectly. Sure it was high, but it had to be thrown right there because he had to whip it over a LBs head and right in between two defenders in the EZ. He knew he had a 6-5 receiver and he put it right where he could catch it.

The deep ball to Tee early was perfectly thrown. He had another big throw to Amari i think in the 2nd Q where he stepped up to buy himself time and threw an absolute strike on a crossing route. He put a beautiful ball with touch right over Thompson's shoulder at one point. There was a nice throw to Overton on the other sideline.

He threw a couple of bad balls early in the game on the first 2 drives and after that he was just surgical. I think anyone claiming differently is clueless.

Replies: 6
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic