Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
BKB Update: Latest RPI rankings for Clemson Basketball
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1

BKB Update: Latest RPI rankings for Clemson Basketball

Jan 17, 2016, 10:11 AM

Latest RPI rankings for Clemson Basketball

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

this KenPom seems to be the only one that

Jan 17, 2016, 10:15 AM

Knows what they are talking about.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: this KenPom seems to be the only one that

Jan 17, 2016, 10:16 AM

one time on Sports Talk our RPI was just about the laughing stock to corncoot.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No, KenPom is not the same as RPI

Jan 17, 2016, 10:30 AM

RPI is a specific formula. It doesn't matter who computes it, you should get the same thing. It's true that ESPN and this other site (WarrenNolan) have it different for us; they are probably not in sync with all the games that have been played. Or one is including games they shouldn't, or they're using the wrong formula. But RPI is RPI: 25% your W/L record, 50% your opponent's W/L, and 25% your opponent's opponent's W/L. Adjust for home wins versus road wins (home wins count less, home losses count more, vice versa for road games).

RPI takes the position that there's no difference if you, say, beat Duke and lose to Alabama, than if you beat Alabama and lose to Duke. Either way, your RPI will be the same. Most would argue that the former is more impressive, because it shows an ability to be great, even if you're prone to having bad outings too. But not everyone would agree with that...which is why there's no right answer to ranking systems in the first place.

KenPom is NOT RPI. It is a different ranking scheme. So you'd never say "KenPom RPI." None of these are right or wrong per se, just different. I think RPI is a very poor measure, and not just because we don't look good on RPI. You can rig your schedule so that it produces a strong RPI, even if your team isn't very good. The Missouri Valley Conference was singled out for doing this, but the MAC has gotten really good at this too. (And if you're in those conferences, why would you NOT do that?)

Thanks Mr. Mojo Risin' - excellent high level analysis

Jan 17, 2016, 12:08 PM

I'm going to put on some Doors now and annoy my wife and kids

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Thanks Mr. Mojo Risin' - excellent high level analysis

Jan 18, 2016, 3:20 PM

Don't forget to lubricate yourself and slip into your tightest leather pants

Never been done before...Looks like the "I hope I'm wrong"

Jan 17, 2016, 11:54 AM

crowd miiiiight get their wish afterall

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ESPN's BPI is the best strength measure...

Jan 17, 2016, 12:05 PM

Tool ad we are 71 which is a decent place to be right now:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bpi

Yes, and when we beat UVa, Pitt ....

Jan 17, 2016, 12:03 PM

The algorithm they use to calculate the RPI will break ... never in the history of D1 College Basketball has such a turnaround occurred. Clemson will easily break Top 25 ... some pundits say we will emerge in top Top 25 this week, I believe we need just one more consecutive Top 25 win (UVa) to neutralize the pre-conference play experimental period and make it moot in any judgement.

Remember, you heard it first on TigerNet !

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Yes, and when we beat UVa, Pitt ....

Jan 17, 2016, 1:17 PM

I really hope we go on to win these next two in a row OWO. We've proven we're capable. We've just never done something like that (7 in a row over ranked teams) so its hard to come out and say we will like you have. So I'll join you and predict we win the next two. You heard it here second!

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

RPI = Really Poor Indicator.***

Jan 17, 2016, 12:20 PM

Re: BKB Update: Latest RPI rankings for Clemson Basketball

Jan 17, 2016, 12:41 PM

People have to realize that this number will continue to climb. It's not a "projection," and there's a long way to go with a lot of good teams to play. Our RPI will go up and be there if we win enough games (18 or 19 minimum).

Re: BKB Update: Latest RPI rankings for Clemson Basketball

Jan 18, 2016, 3:23 PM

OMG. It was Littlejohn. With the move to Greenville the curse has been lifted!

Replies: 12
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic