Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Anybody here ever grown an Avacado tree in the Carolinas?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1,051

Anybody here ever grown an Avacado tree in the Carolinas?

Jul 26, 2017, 10:52 PM

From what I have read, the lowlands of SC can grow them without much attention, but they need a bit of winter care in the upstate region.

Any experience here?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Re: Anybody here ever grown an Avacado tree in the Carolinas?

Jul 26, 2017, 11:05 PM

No, but I saw that 300 lb producing tree story from FL and it would make sense. Mainly replying so I can follow this thread. Good Luck, as I know nothing about your Question but look forward to the responses.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 1, 2017, 4:35 PM

Would love to grow avocado but sounds unlikely.
I do have Orange, grapefruit and tangerine producing in my yard in Beaufort and understand there are varieties that are good for upstate too.

Had a 450 tree Avocado Farm in Southern Calif.

Jul 26, 2017, 11:16 PM

They require a warmer, hilly climate.
Do not plant them close together. Avocado's do best on a hill side where they can grow out over other trees. Once the trees branches start to come close to other trees (too confined) they will cease production permanently.
The cold Carolina climate or a cold winter will permanently damage tree production.
If you start with seedlings, you will have to wait 3-5 years before good production begins.
There are about 5 different production varieties of avocado in the US, with Haas being the most popular.
The inland hills of eastern San Diego county are the best. That's why they are all grown there.

If they are all grown in eastern San Diego County ...

Jul 27, 2017, 12:45 AM

... then why does Carpenteria in Santa Barbara County have an avocado festival?

Yes Santa Barbara is another good place to grow avocados.

Aug 1, 2017, 9:55 PM

Good soil, weather, and foothills rising up from the coast.

Is McConnell's Ice Cream Store still there? A favorite of mine in Santa Barbara 30 years ago.

Soil Composition & too much rain is also a problem here

Aug 1, 2017, 9:53 PM [ in reply to Had a 450 tree Avocado Farm in Southern Calif. ]

in addition to the cold/freezing. Avocados need soil that drains well. A deep long soaking of water in drainable soil from a light sprinkler - and then leave the trees alone for a week to weeks depending upon weather, humidity, soil, drainage, etc.. Overwatering or soil that holds the water kills avocado trees. Carolinas get too much rain in addition to the cold.

got one from a seed.it os in the yard.haven't had success

Jul 26, 2017, 11:19 PM

sense .I live in Bluffton near the water

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

One can grow near the coast from Charleston south, but not in the Upstate

Jul 26, 2017, 11:20 PM

They can't tolerate temps below freezing for more than a few days. A cold snap with temps around 20 will kill it.

Jul 26, 2017, 11:50 PM

They don't do well here in the lowcountry . Any temperatures below freezing really hamper them if not kill them altogether .
If you have a greenhouse you could container grow , but that would mean a lot of size pruning and fuss.
Not set up for our winters here , unfortunately.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

I live in Santa Barbara, they do not like frost.

Jul 27, 2017, 12:39 AM

A hard freeze will pretty much kill them.

I have family in Goleta my dad had an avacado tree

Jul 27, 2017, 4:41 AM

in his back yard when he lived in SB along with a bunch of other fruit trees

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 27, 2017, 1:11 AM

I'm pretty sure that the only way you can grow an Avocado tree here in South Carolina until it produces ripe Avacado's, would be in a green house.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My granddad had a few growing on Sullivan's Island back

Jul 27, 2017, 1:13 AM

in the 80s until Hugo flooded his yard with standing salt water. The trees were producing fruit at the time. I remember he grew them from the seeds.

I've had a few of the them over time here on James Is. all

Jul 27, 2017, 9:28 AM

started from seed. Agreed with the folks that note that they do NOT like cold weather or freezing. The largest one I had got to be about 5 feet tall, and I had nowhere really to put it during a cold snap a few years ago. Didn't make it.
Never had any success with keeping one healthy long enough to get it to fruit.

Aug 1, 2017, 2:17 PM

When I lived in South Florida we had one in our yard. It was a large tree with a huge crop every year. We shared with all the neighbors. The only problem was harvesting the avocados up high and at the far end of the limb. We used a long cane pole with a hook on the upper end to "######" them. These were the large avocados. I don't recall ever seeing an avocado tree above central Florida. Growing an avocado tree in a greenhouse doesn't appear to me to be a practical solution.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

you saying we're not men up here?***

Aug 1, 2017, 2:22 PM

Aug 2, 2017, 4:36 AM

I don't have any experience with them in the Carolinas but I see them all the time here in California. However, I looked it up and apparently there is one variety grown in northern Florida that is freeze-resistant. Not sure how to find it but maybe that will help.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 17
| visibility 1,051
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic