Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Older parent not wanting covid vaccine
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 407

Older parent not wanting covid vaccine

Jan 13, 2021, 12:15 PM

Ok I have a parent in their 90's who is in good health and is living in another state. They live at home alon and they claim they don't go anywhere. So their rationale is they dont need the vaccine. Have any of you run into this "logic"? I'm not there everyday so I cant insist. They do occasionally go out to eat or for a few errands. It is just very frustrating. I was wondering how anyone who has surmounted this attitude managed it because I'm getting nowhere

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

if they have made it to their 90s

Jan 13, 2021, 12:26 PM

I would trust their instincts

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If I'm in my 90's, I'm probably taking my chances too.

Jan 13, 2021, 12:26 PM

I completely understand their rationale.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My mom already has her shot scheduled.

Jan 13, 2021, 12:27 PM

But the logic of older people escapes me sometimes. 95% of the people I see not wearing masks in busy stores, are 70+. Almost every single teen or 20-something is wearing them. My only guess is older people DGAF because they're older, lived a great life, and don't care really. And there's something to that.

Just urge them to do it, make them aware if they get sick with it they will die alone in a hospital without anyone being able to see them, then let them do their thing.

Alternately, figure out how to have someone go to them and administer the vaccine. Or put them in a nursing home where it will be required for the safety of others. Beyond all that, there's not much you can do.

Deep down, they're 90 and don't care. I'm pretty sure that's the logic. They are blessed, and so are you to have had them that long. And if they're at home as they say, they're safe and they won't spread it like in a nursing home. At 90yo, you get to a point where there's not much else to live for. You've lived your life, and many are at peace with that. I could very well see myself that way at 90yo because I will consider myself blessed to make 75.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Older parent not wanting covid vaccine

Jan 13, 2021, 12:41 PM

I don't know if this analogous anecdote will help, but when my mom turned 80, I was the one who had to ask her for her car keys. I convinced her it was time because I knew she didn't want to ever be the one that caused a car wreck and killed someone else. I understand that your parent doesn't go out much, but there is still a chance that they could hurt someone else. Despite being 90, I cannot believe that they would want that.

Good Luck with it.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes. FIL doesn't want it because he is afraid of side effect

Jan 13, 2021, 12:46 PM

to other medicine he is taking...Despite his doctor's advice.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

Great question. Having dealt with parents of about

Jan 13, 2021, 12:55 PM

that age, it seems that some will maintain a long term view of self and circumstances, while others become fatalistic: "I am going to live like I want, and if I go, I go." I'm not talking about the depressed, 'I'm ready to go', attitude. That happens too. But I have seem some emotionally healthy parents adopt some very cavalier attitudes because of a "Who cares" attitude. Obviously continue to reason re the vaccine, but dont think you or they have failed if they refuse.

Why would anyone td your post? Maybe me by mistake.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

old people are funny like that***

Jan 13, 2021, 12:57 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

Replies: 7
| visibility 407
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic