Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Remember School Bus Ray Nagin,,former mayor of New
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 5
| visibility 1

Remember School Bus Ray Nagin,,former mayor of New

Feb 12, 2014, 3:22 PM

Orleans? Remember how he bashed G W Bush over Katrina?All the time he was lining his pockets to the tune of around 500K taking bribes from post Katrina contractors.
What a Tool and now he is getting his...Nice to see justice done for a change.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/former-new-orleans-mayor-nagin-convicted-on-bribery-other-charges/2014/02/12/d26c9a8a-9418-11e3-84e1-27626c5ef5fb_story.html

Former New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin — who became the face of a desperate, drowning city during Hurricane Katrina — was convicted Wednesday on charges of accepting bribes from city contractors while in office.

Nagin, a Democrat who left office in 2010, was found guilty by a federal jury on 20 of 21 criminal counts, including bribery, conspiracy and wire fraud. Prosecutors said that Nagin accepted illegal gifts from contractors that began before Katrina hit, and continued afterward.

Among the gifts, according to the Associated Press: money, free vacation travel and truckloads of granite for Stone Age LLC, a business Nagin and his sons owned.

Nagin will remain free on bail while awaiting sentencing, the Times-Picayune reported. Several of the offenses carry a potential sentence of up to 20 years in prison.

The conviction ends a remarkable fall for Nagin, a former cable-company executive who denounced New Orleans’s culture of corruption when he ran for mayor in 2002.

He was mayor when the storm hit in 2005, and served as a kind of human metaphor for the city’s unthinkable collapse. The country watched the mayor break down, just as his city did.

“They don’t have a clue what’s going on down here,” Nagin told a radio interviewer several days after the storm, expressing outrage that federal authorities had not sent enough help. “I need reinforcements, I need troops, man. I need 500 buses, man.... This is a national disaster. Get every doggone Greyhound bus line in the country and get their ##### moving to New Orleans.”

But through it all, prosecutors said, Nagin seemed to be absorbing the corrupt ethos he had promised to fight. This year in a New Orleans courtroom, they described how Nagin had taken a variety of things from contractors seeking business with the city.

In court, Nagin denied taking bribes and said instead that he had only approved contracts from low-bidding vendors, or contracts selected by a committee of others. Nagin denied that the contracts were tied to the benefits given to either himself or his family business, the Associated Press reported.

Nagin left office in 2010, and was replaced by Mitch Landrieu (D), the brother of U.S. Sen. Mary Landrieu. Mitch Landrieu was reelected this year to another term.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Orange Googlers Unite

Save Tigernet--Boot the coots(you know who I mean).

Re: Remember School Bus Ray Nagin,,former mayor of New

Feb 12, 2014, 4:21 PM

So tell me that water is wet.

Something I did not already know.

Ole Ray was just following the tradition of corrupt New Orleans politicians and Government officials that have always ran the city. The New Orleans PD is one of the most corrupt in the nation. The Mayor's office is and always has been corrupt. During Katrina the police looted every thing that was not tied down, and murdered several people. They were so corrupt, the Justic Dept. had to take over the running of the PD. And for the justice Dept. to take over something run by democrats, it has to be so corrupt, so rotten to the core that it is beyond saving.

The state of Louisiana could not function without corrupt politicians. It's in their DNA.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2013_nascar_champ.gif2014_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Remember School Bus Ray Nagin,,former mayor of New

Feb 12, 2014, 4:53 PM

yep absolutely true. no doubt they all do it there. corruption is a way of life in La. politics.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

former republican too***

Feb 12, 2014, 5:12 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah, well, he denies that.

Feb 16, 2014, 7:49 AM

Was your post intended to suggest that he slithered over to a much seedier side of politics?

2009_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well, New Orleans is still a chocolate city***

Feb 12, 2014, 9:35 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 5
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic