Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Yay. In the true spirit of 2020, we get this.......
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 3
| visibility 176

Yay. In the true spirit of 2020, we get this.......

Sep 18, 2020, 4:30 PM

Anyone got any Pepto? This is the second freaking time in 5 years they've changed the freaking grading system. I am so excited that my son can now bring home a report card showing he has met state standards. Soooooo excited. Such a high bar to set. And no pressure from grades. How nice.

September 18, 2020

Dear ########### Families:
Every family we serve is experiencing the Covid-19 pandemic in different ways. While some of you have not been directly affected, others have endured many challenges. Of course, our students also came back to school with their own experiences and challenges.
To help them, we will focus on providing them with the support they need to succeed academically, socially, and emotionally.
We plan to do that by removing the stress caused by grades and providing timely feedback that will help them achieve their academic goals and meet state standards. In ##########County School District ######, we recognize that giving feedback to students is an essential part of their learning journey.
We expect all students to perform at high levels and to revise their work as they learn to master content and skills. We support their learning by redesigning the elementary (kindergarten through Grade 5) grading system to show their use of Feedback Driven Progress Reporting clearly.
You are probably familiar with the traditional system of grading, where students earn numerical grades that are averaged and converted to a letter grade. The Feedback Driven Progress Reporting system, on the other hand, reflects students’ progress toward meeting specific grade-level standards with purposeful and intentional feedback from their teachers.
Reporting their work toward meeting standards instead of letter grades shifts the focus to their mastery of learning rather than their work toward achieving a certain number or letter grade.
What will that look like? With the Feedback Driven Progress Reporting system, teachers will report each child’s progress on standards in English language arts, mathematics, science, and social studies.
The standards listed on the Feedback Driven Progress Report are End-of-Year expectations. The progress report will show all the standards that a student is expected to accomplish by the end of the year. Any standard that the student has not yet been introduced to would show an NA (Not Applicable).
We are confident that this Feedback Driven Progress Reporting system will help you have a better understanding of your child’s strengths and areas for growth. Families can expect to receive progress reports at the end of each quarter, and student progress will be reported as:
? NYM — Not Yet Met (Student is not able to demonstrate mastery of the grade-level standard at this time.)
? PM — Partially Met (Student demonstrates mastery of some, but not all, of the grade-level standard.)
? M — Met (Student demonstrates mastery and application of the grade-level standard.)
As always, we encourage you to reach out to your child’s teacher and talk about the ways you can support your child’s learning at home.
Sincerely,
############, Principal
##############School

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah it's 4 minutes til quittin time

Sep 18, 2020, 4:31 PM

TL;dr

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Readers digest.....No letter or number grades.

Sep 18, 2020, 4:34 PM

NYM — Not Yet Met (Student is not able to demonstrate mastery of the grade-level standard at this time.)
? PM — Partially Met (Student demonstrates mastery of some, but not all, of the grade-level standard.)
? M — Met (Student demonstrates mastery and application of the grade-level standard.)

This is a massive change from the 1, 2, 3 they were using. But I guess since those were numbers, they were too stressful.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I get the feeling that this all comes back to funding...

Sep 18, 2020, 4:36 PM

like they're realizing "oh shizz these kids are teh dumb...if we fail them all, we won't get funding"

i'm not saying YOUR kids are teh dumb. just all the other ones.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 3
| visibility 176
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic